Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Must See Slots - Recommendations?

Must See Slots - Recommendations?

Hello,
    I'm new to canyoneering and have only done a couple of canyons (Little Wild Horse, Main Fork of Blue John, and High Spur).

I was wondering what slots you all would consider to be a "must see/do"?

For now, we're probably looking for something similar to High Spur as far as the technical level required. A few raps (100' or less), good downclimbs, etc...

Anybody willing to help a noob?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Just about everything in Zion. Love Das Boot.

Welcome!

Thanks for the info and warm welcome.
    I'll have to start researching Das Boot and some of the other canyons in Zion.

Blog Entries
    for your beginning status, and for Zion area-Pinecreek, Keyhole, Subway, The Narrows, and Mystery Canyon. There are many more there, but definitely need more experience for those. There are some other good ones, such as Misery but I wouldn't say must-do, personally.

North Wash area & Lake Powell; West Canyon, Leprechaun, Shillelagh, Lucky Charms, and Black Hole.

Northern Utah: Rocky Mouth canyon, Battle Creek, Bridal Veil Falls.

Moab: Tierdrop, Rock of Ages, Granary, Pleaides (but after July, for your group, otherwise it's too much water), and Dragonfly (many will disagree with me)

Swell: Zero G, Knotted Rope, the Squeeze, Iron Wash (good beginner pothole experience)

Man...there are too many canyons to choose from. Those are personal favorites (for beginners). I do like, Adams Canyon, lower waterfall for how short it is, and the return trip is less than 2mins, and definitely good practice for Class C.

Anywho...just take it easy. And Digest slowly.

And Welcome!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Hello,
    I'm new to canyoneering and have only done a couple of canyons (Little Wild Horse, Main Fork of Blue John, and High Spur).

I was wondering what slots you all would consider to be a "must see/do"?

For now, we're probably looking for something similar to High Spur as far as the technical level required. A few raps (100' or less), good downclimbs, etc...

Anybody willing to help a noob?
    That's kind of a big question...

I would tend to call them 'canyons' rather than slots. I think most people not only visit great slots but also try to build their skill base so their available canyons expand.

So, how about this:

Zion has great canyons for the summer, not so good in the spring. The anchors tend to be already in place, the slots get done a lot, and they are fun and allow beginners to see a variety of stuff, do a little problem solving and develop proficiency in basic skills.

Subway (with Das Boot or Russell Gulch), Pine Creek, Keyhole, Spry, Behunin, Fat Man's, Birch Hollow are some of the basics.

Once outside Zion, you will need to learn from anchor skills, as the anchors are not all in place outside the urban canyoneering center of Zion. Plus greater self-sufficiency, self-rescue, greater caution and tests of judgment. Each area tends to be somewhat different and have its own personality.

North Wash is mainly about climbing through canyons, and very little about rappels. Best in spring, fall and winter: Leprechaun Middle, East and West; the 3 West Forks of Butler; Slideanide, Constrichnine and Ar-scenic. W fork of Maidenwater are some of the basics, though Dave's Mini-slots in the area are very good, and great for teaching and practicing these skills.

The Roost is more spread out, and the canyons there tend to be pretty tame, and also pretty nice. BlueJohn (East/Main or other options), Not-Mindbender, White Roost, Alcatraz (a little hard), Larry Canyon are the basics there.

The Swell has a couple good canyons and a whole bunch of decent hikes. We might consider these a bit harder than the previously mentioned: The Squeeze, Quandary Direct and Knotted Rope are the good canyons over there.

Escalante is very spread out, and has a very wide range of stuff. Check out Neon, Egypt 3, Davis Gulch ...

Good luck, have fun and be safe.

Tom

Here are two lists I put together a while back when asked this question... the threads are a great place for a novice to begin their research.

Ten Canyons for Noobies
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?30957

Ten Technical Canyons for Noobies
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?30957

Wow, thanks for all of the extra info. I'll be researching more of the canyons listed above, and have started to read the threads provided by Iceaxe.
    That's a great pic as well. Is that Subway?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    That's a great pic as well. Is that Subway?
    Yup, that's the Subway...

And I found this pic of Rockgremlin why I was looking....

Name:  rockgremlin..jpg
Views: 633
Size:  75.9 KB

What has been seen can not be un-seen....

Bogley BigShot

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Wow, my thoughts exactly...
    Had I know about the impending singe my eyeballs were about to receive I wouldn't have scrolled down to the bottom of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Yup, that's the Subway...

And I found this pic of Rockgremlin why I was looking....

Name:  rockgremlin..jpg
Views: 633
Size:  75.9 KB

Ah hell no. It was enough to experience it in real life. The best part where tue college girls who wanted their pictures taken with him.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Bogley BigShot
    I want to see one of the BEEFCAKE - Nelson! in a speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    I want to see one of the BEEFCAKE - Nelson! in a speedo.
    There's one of me floating on here somewhere! I wear the HELL out of a speedo.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Bogley BigShot
    I know you do... you big HUNK!

Don't go showing my little bro pictures like that! He's impressionable, dammit!

Bogley BigShot
    The ROCK? He belongs to you? At least something gets you to speak. 11 posts.. 2 threads. Maybe we should show more of Rock in the Subway getting cozy with co-eds if it gets you to post.

jeff is my bro (started the thread), and I'm referring to the PICTURE of rockgremlin, whom I don't know. (meaning, don't go showing my little bro, jeff, pictures of men in speedos because he's impressionable)
    I apologize, but I only joined bogley last month. I'll try to post more. (I assume you're confusing me with someone else?)

Bogley BigShot
    Oh... I get it and I am just teasing you. I know Rock, but I have no clue if he has a brother or not.

I just always assumed that when a man saw another man in a speedo the impression was

The banana hammock is HILARIOUS, especially when the wearer is not joking (and the picture of rockgremlin is CLASSIC). I was also just teasing my bro, who is in his thirties (that's a birds and bees conversation I don't want to have )

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Oh... I get it and I am just teasing you. I know Rock, but I have no clue if he has a brother or not.

I just always assumed that when a man saw another man in a speedo the impression was
    In this case for me, the reaction is more: