Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Utah in july?

Backpacking Utah in july?

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip out to Utah at the end of June thru mid-July. We would like to spend some time at Zion, Bryce and Canyonlands. We are also planning day hikes at Horseshoe canyon and Arches. We know it's going to be hot and not so pleasant. Summer is our only vacation time. We are looking for suggestions on specific locations and backpacking trips. First hand knowledge is important and key when planning. Thanks,

Scott

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The barracks, East Fork Virgin River, Zion National Park.

Bogley BigShot
    Hi Scott,

Here are my backpacking suggestions for end of June thru mid-July.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/bac...ional-park.htm
    Check on Narrows, East Rim and West Rim
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/parunuweap-hike.htm

If you wanted a great adventure... try backing packing 50 miles across Zion.

You could also backpack the Mineral area and explore in there.
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/mineral-gulch.htm

My other favorite in the area for that time of year would be Bull Valley gorge to Willis Creek in the GSENM
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/sta...lley-gorge.htm

Thanks Tanya,
    We are looking to spend three days in the Zion area.
    I am intrigued by the Mineral area and Bull Valley. Do either of those treks require two vehicles or are they loop hikes?
    What are your thoughts on the death hollow area?

Scott

Bogley BigShot
    Both are usually done with one vehicle and is how Bo and I did it and wrote up the trip reports. You will enjoy them both. Take a look at Parunuweap too if you choose to do Mineral. They both go down to the river and you could spend time down there exploring.

For Bull Valley Gorge, you park there at that trailhead and end at Willis Creek trailhead, but we just walked up the road a short distance back to our vehicle when done.

You could set up a shuttle for Parunuweap (which is my favorite way) or turn around and go out the way you came in near Checkerboard Mesa.

Mineral we did as a day hike and it was a long day, but came out close to where our vehicle was parked even though we were doing some exploring in there.

I have never explored the Death Hollow area, but Tom has.
    http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/esca/micro.htm

You are new! Welcome to the group!

Yes. I am new to this site. Thanks for the welcome. I was hoping that such a site existed. I find that first hand knowledge is the only way to have a well planned trip. We are going to be out there for 2 weeks and want to make the best of it.

Bogley BigShot
    It's Sunday and that's a slow day, but stick around and you will gets lots of suggestions.

Personally I would forget about Canyonlands that time of year and head instead to Zion, Bryce and Escalante. I love canyonlands, but overall, Escalante is probably more spectacular anyway. Plus it has hikes that are much more pleasant that time of year.

In Zion, I would head for one of the watery hikes; i.e. Parunaweap or the Zion Narrows (make reservations early). Lower Kolob is great, but has a couple of drops that require a rope at least for a hand line, or possibly a very short rappel (most people used to just jump the falls, but using a rope might be safer). Conditions must be favorable (and they may not be).

Ashdown Gorge is another good on that time of year and is just north of Zion. You can dayhike it, but to see some of the best parts (such as the amphitheater at the bottom of Cedar Breaks), 2-3 days is recommended.

In Escalante, there are plenty of hikes that are good for summer. Death Hollow is great, but has poison ivy (some people are sensitive and some aren't-I am).

(Mountain Jim photo)

40 Mile-Willow is great in summer. See our TR below:

http://www.summitpost.org/adventures...-report/637939

Boulder Creek is another great summer one in the Escalante area. Deer Creek and Pine Creek are pretty good in summer too.

That time of year you will have way more fun in the Escalante than in Canyonlands.

As much as I like Canyonlands, don't try backpacking it in June or July. If you defy all wisdom and must go anyway, go to Upper Salt Creek. Just south of Canyonlands are Dark Canyon, Bowdie and Gypsum Canyons. Gypsum is a good summer one with lots of towering waterfalls and refreshing pools. It's one of the best canyons in the area and probably the world. Dark Canyon below Black Steer has a lot of pools and waterfalls all the way to the Colorado River, but climbing up the Sundance Trail will be hot (get an early start).

(Sean Peckham photo)

Once again, Escalante or places like Gypsum Canyon will be way better than Canyonlands that time of year and just as or even more scenic.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Bogley BigShot
    I second Ashdown Gorge, its a favorite! Best done with a shuttle though.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/dix...st-ashdown.htm

Lots of great help

I was very lucky to have found this site. The folks here are amazingly helpful! As we continue to get great suggestions, it helps us to plan a much more enjoyable trip. The trip reports are awesome! I am now discovering that there so many places we would love to see and only 2 weeks to see some of them. You are blessed to have all of that in your back yard. My daughter lives in Smithfield and is attending school there. I see now why she loves it there.
    We spend a great deal of time hiking Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.
    Two summers ago my girlfriend and I spent two weeks in Arizona. I didn't want to leave. In fact, I wanted to move there as soon as we got home. I will post our trip report to share our experience.
    Thanks again for all your help and keep the ideas coming.

Scott

Welcome, fellow New Englander!

Thanks, Glad to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWayne View Post
    I was very lucky to have found this site. The folks here are amazingly helpful! As we continue to get great suggestions, it helps us to plan a much more enjoyable trip. The trip reports are awesome! I am now discovering that there so many places we would love to see and only 2 weeks to see some of them. You are blessed to have all of that in your back yard. My daughter lives in Smithfield and is attending school there. I see now why she loves it there.
    We spend a great deal of time hiking Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.
    Two summers ago my girlfriend and I spent two weeks in Arizona. I didn't want to leave. In fact, I wanted to move there as soon as we got home. I will post our trip report to share our experience.
    Thanks again for all your help and keep the ideas coming.

Scott
    We sure do take it for granted. I drive to work everyday with the wasatch mountains in my sights. Utah is certainly a mecca for amazing outdoor activities.

I am afraid once I get there I wont want to leave.

What is Moab like?

Bogley BigShot
    By the way since you like to backpack. I think its cool to do Zion, drive to Glendale and enter the Grand Staircase there. Do Bull Valley Gorge, then exit at Cannyonville right by Bryce Canyon. Visit Bryce.

map so you get the idea
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/zio...k-road-map.htm

Quick question for you guys. When do they start selling these permits and how much am I looking to pay for a 3 day trip? Is there a limit on the number of people a group can have?

Thank you

Alan

Bogley BigShot
    Hi Alan,

Which permits and which hike?

What is Moab like?
    We live in Colorado near the Utah border and spend a lot of time around Moab. Expect hot that time of year - typically near 100 but there are ways to stay cool. One backpack we did years ago was to hike up Negro Bill Canyon several miles, (should have running water the first 3 miles or so) hike up & out of the canyon, cross over the Sand Flats road, drop into Rill Creek drainage (probably dry then) follow it to the North Fork of Mill Creek (always running & has delightful pools) and then hike on out to town. For adults, you could easily do in 3 days. You can also take a detour up the other fork of Mill Creek. Then there's the LaSalle Mountains - plenty of camping & hiking & much cooler at elevations above 8,000 ft., mountain biking up there too.
    In addition, you can still bike the world famous slickrock bike trail - just get a real early start so you can finish before temps climb above 80 or higher.
    Last but not least - plenty of canyons to descend all around there and you can always find plenty of shade in them. See Shane's site.

I love Utah all year round, but I do kind of whither in this summer heat. It's HOT!

Last July we visited Zion, but only did the Narrows hike *just as a day trip to Orderville Canyon and back.* If you are prepared, you could do the overnight hike through Zion but you need permits from the backcountry office (day of) and they limit how many persons can stay in the canyon. Then you'll have to arrange for a shuttle.

Personally, since I whither in the heat (I live in the Northern end of the state - not as acclimated as others), I need to pretty much be standing in water at all times in the Utah desert in July (or in a car with A/C!). I don't think I could have managed any dry Zion hikes. You could go really high like Cedar Breaks National Monument (10,000 feet) or Bryce, even then it was still tank-top warm, but much more doable for day hiking though.

In addition to the other water canyon hikes mentioned, there is a nice little backpack in Pleasant Creek in the backcountry of Capitol Reef N.P. There's an honor system U-pick of the fruit trees in Fruita.
    http://www.utahredrocks.com/pleasant.htm

Canyonlands may not have sufficient water sources in the backcountry to refill on a backpack. You could just do one overnight and carry all your water. I did do that once - in March however!

I would say just take it really easy, don't plan a whole lot in the heat, you probably won't have a lot of energy. In the car, we took with us a container of powdered Gatorade and a 5 gal water jug so we could fix up some Gatorade on the spot.

We hiked into Supai Village in the Grand Canyon 2 summers ago in August. It was very hot!
    From what I've read, the backcountry permits are only available the day of. Correct me if I'm wrong. It looks as though are multi day hikes will be in Zion, Bryce and the Escalante ares. We wanted stay in Moab for a night and just hang out.