Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Backpacking Utah in july?

Intro to Utah hikes

You have been given lots of good advice already. I would echo Zion and vicinity in the summer, Arches, Canyonlands, the San Rafael Swell, and Moab are too hot then. If you only have a short window to do some hikes I would do day trips from a base camp. I have stayed at the top of Orderville and it was nice.

I like Orderville better than the narrows, but if you could split the narrows over two days it would be awesome. Subway is great, too. You will have to drive a bit to get there but hiking in Buckskin Gulch is about as spectacular a hike as you will ever do. You can do an out and back or pull the permit and do the overnight loop.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If you want to cool off there is a local haunt called Oowah lake a short drive from Moab, along the river and up, up, up (Manti La Sal Mountain Loop Rd). It is up in the Manti La Sals and is at elevation. When I was there in July there was still snow under the trees! Very nice hike there through Heidi alpine meadows and the wild flowers were in bloom! Gorgeous!

Since I am so new it won't let me post a link, just google Oowah lake. There are some tent sites up there. It was very nice and a nice break from the hot!

Similar Threads

1. A week dayhiking SW Utah in July
    By MojaveGeek in forum Hiking, Scrambling & Peak Bagging
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 08:27 PM
  2. XCountry Ski - Backpacking - Southern Utah?
    By benlittle in forum Backpacking & Camping
    Last Post: 08-21-2010, 04:49 PM
  3. Utah backpacking, end of July, tell me what I need to know
    By bronto in forum Backpacking & Camping
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 10:04 AM
  4. Southern Utah winter Backpacking
    By naofumi in forum Backpacking & Camping
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 01:54 PM
  5. 4th OF JULY in PRICE, UTAH
    By Fuzzy TheBikeGuy in forum Mountain Biking & Cycling
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 08:36 AM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

utah in july

utah backpacking

canyonlands backpacking

dark canyon

best places to backpack in utah in julyhiking utah in julyhiking gear for southern utah in julybackpack southern utah in julyutah trails to backpack julybackpacking utah in junedeer creek boulder creek escalante hikeis it recommended to hike in utah in julyutah im julybackpack for july in utahbackpacking utahpool water dark canyon utahdark canyon utah backpackingdeer creek hike escalante utahdark canyon utahhikes july utahbackpacking on the fourth of july utahhiking in utah in julygypsum canyon utahbackpack negro bill canyonbest july backpacking trips