Thread: High Spur 2/19/11

High Spur 2/19/11

Went to High Spur last Saturday. Despite a light drizzle, we decided to descend the canyon anyway (drizzled all day but pretty dry in the bottom of the deeper slots). I've wanted to do this one for a while, and it was even better than I had hoped. (I posted a couple pictures in response to reverso's request for Robber's Roost conditions).
    I wish it would have been sunnier, because a lot of the pictures turned out too dark.
    Had an amazing time. The full moon Friday night also inspired us to do a little night jaunt as well.
    I'm still a beginning canyoneer, but I'm loving it more each time I go out.
    I've really been inspired by people on this forum, and thankful for all the helpful info. The canyoneering community seems full of great, positive people.
    (trackrunner, or anyone for that matter, I'd still like to tag along with people who can show me the tricks; the guys with me are 2 brothers and a friend, all with less experience than even I have)
    Attached Images Attached Images          

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Glad to see you're facing the elements. It's tough to get the perfect lighting in that canyon. How was the road getting out there?

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Glad to see you're facing the elements. It's tough to get the perfect lighting in that canyon. How was the road getting out there?
    The road was completely dry on the way out, but was quite snowy on the way back, especially around Hans Flat. The rain was just turning to snow as we left. As I said, it was light rain all day, intermixed with patches of blue sky. Had it looked more threatening, we may not have risked it. Temperature was in the high 40's, so it was quite comfortable. The rain picked up just as we reached the deadman trail road on the way back to our vehicle, and by the time we reached Han's Flat, there was a couple of inches of snow on the road. There was another group of 3 that we caught up to at the final rap (gave them a ride to their vehicle, as we had spotted a vehicle at the bottom).
    I had actually intended on posting this in the trip report section, I obviously did something wrong. (thats why I wear a helmet)

So it still requires high clearance to get out there?

I think in dry conditions, a 2WD that's not too low slung could make it with some maneuvering in a couple spots (but I personally wouldn't take a sedan). The road was quite good most of the way, except for a couple bumpy slickrock sections. However, I know it can vary greatly depending on when they last graded it. Sorry, that probably wasn't much help. You can also call the Han's Flat ranger station for current conditions.

You can get a rental car to the trailhead.

I've seen Subaru's at the trailhead, but they had to work for it in a few places. 2WD Pick-up trucks have no problems. No way in hell I'm driving MY family sedan to the trailhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    You can get a rental car to the trailhead.

Good point. In my experience, I've been astonished at what a rental car is capable of.

Standard joke that everyone knows: What's the difference between a rental car and a jeep? There are certain places even a Jeep won't go!

Beautiful canyon! It's been on my list for a while. I really want to get down there!

nice work PJ. beautiful canyon from start to end. thanks for sharing. one of my favorites on the plateau for aesthetics.

for the record we've managed to get out to high spur twice once in a subee and another in a honda pilot without damage.

however, last trip out two autumn seasons ago, our group assisted in a jack-and-rock-stack to free up a high-centered jetta wagon...

Thanks bro...

I'm PJ's brother and wanted to thank him for letting us tag along. I've only done Little Wild Horse before this trip, and needless to say, I'm probably hooked for life now.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Droppings View Post
    however, last trip out two autumn seasons ago, our group assisted in a jack-and-rock-stack to free up a high-centered jetta wagon...