Thread: Cattle in Robber's Roost

Cattle in Robber's Roost

First post on this board, but here goes.

I recently had a 4 day backpack into RR coming in from White Roost and was surprised to see cattle sign everywhere once I reached the canyon floor. In the 8 years that I have been coming into the RR area I had never seen cattle down in the canyons. I know that historically cattle have been in these canyons but not in recent years.

I camped in the north fork at the confluence of the middle fork and did day hikes from there all the way to "The Crack" in the north fork. The cattle sign was everywhere and some sign appeared to be only a day or two old. The amount of damage to the crypto, vegetation and clean water was disheartening to say the least. Nearly every source of clean water was sullied by feces and mud stirred up by the cattle. I understand that the RR area is a multi use area but wow, the result of cattle was staggering. It really took away from the "wilderness" experience.

After I got back from my trip I contacted the BLM office in Hanksville and I left a message for the ranger responsible for the range management in the area. His name is Kyle Jackson and he is from the Hanksville office. Kyle promptly returned my call and was very polite and seemed a genuinely concerned about the cows being in RR. He indicated that there was a new permit rancher running his cattle in the area. He explained that the new permit holder has heifers with yearlings in the area and that they were a "pain" as they wander great distances and would likely do so for a few years. Kyle indicated that the cattle could travel quite a ways down the Dirty Devil into other canyons. He also indicated that he would contact the rancher to see if he could possibly get them out of the canyons.

So to conclude this e-mail, I just wanted the community that frequents this incredible area to be aware of the situation and to voice their concerns to the BLM office in Hanksville 435-542-3465 if they choose. As the backpacking/canyoneering season nears I fear that finding a good water source in this canyon complex could be difficult. I imagine that if the BLM gets more feedback from users it might make a difference in the decision to let cattle range in the RR drainages.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I always assumed cattle were allowed in the Robbers Roost and San Rafael Swell area. What are the rules? Where are the cattle allowed to roam? Where are they prohibited?

guess you need to watch where you step.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.