Thread: Dumped on at Bryce

Dumped on at Bryce

This is a follow up to Yvonne's great pictures from a recent thread and a reference for Summit who I believe is heading down this upcoming weekend...

My wife and I drove down Saturday morning and came back yesterday. Fortunately we must have timed it perfectly because both trips were pretty uneventful in terms of white knucklin' it. I thought the park would be packed because Ruby's in was hosting a winter festival that brought Nordic skiers out of the woodwork but they spent most of their time away from the park skiing, I guess?

There was a TON of new snow, when we arrived the park road was only plowed up to the turn off to sunrise point. By Sunday afternoon the roads to Inspiration and Bryce Points were clear. Hopefully by next weekend the road should be open further.

The lighting was pretty clouded over Sunday so I was skunked on sunrise (hence the crappy BW conversion ). But that afternoon we snowshoed into the canyon from Queens Garden. It was great! It felt otherworldly with all of the fresh snow complete solitude. The clouds kept rolling in and out making it a little creepy when you couldn't see but it also made for nice diffused midday lighting.

I was really happy they plowed to Bryce Point because it's a special place for both my wife and I. I proposed to her there at sunrise nearly 3 years ago and this was our first time back together. I was really hoping to get a good enough picture for a wall hanger but well see. After that we hiked the mossy cave trail, which was pretty cool then hit the road!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Visiting Bryce during the winter and especially snowshoeing around is on my life list...

So cool!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Visiting Bryce during the winter and especially snowshoeing around is on my life list...

So cool!
    Same here

These are awesome photos, Austin! Snow does magical things to the hoodoos and spires in Bryce.

Sounds like you had a great trip, and yay for not having to deal with snow or weather issues.
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post

So cool!
    x3!

Beautiful shots, thanks for sharing! I wish I had more time in January when I was out there!

Thanks guys! Yes, to snow shoe Bryce in Winter should be on everyone's lifelist, especially if you live close here! A couple more pics. Notice how it started to cloud up in the canyon.

Bogley BigShot
    Awesome! Hung out with some friends while they went snow shoeing there a couple of weeks ago, and there was not enough snow for it.

I want to come back to Bryce in winter!!! And next time I will bring my snow shoes along with me, that's for sure.
    Awesome shots, thanks for sharing. Especially the first one is so beautiful.

stunning

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Nice shots

awesome shots!

I hope to shoot some night stuff, a sunrise, and do a little bit of hiking in Bryce this weekend.... stoked.

I'm sure you'll deliver with your killer shots. Have fun man.

Its been dumping snow the entire time when have been here and my camera has yet to leave the bag. After checking the weather I have a feeling I won't even be able to take a single shot :(

I thought about seeing if I could join you down there but saw the forecast and decided to stay away. Monday could be really good.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Its been dumping snow the entire time when have been here and my camera has yet to leave the bag. After checking the weather I have a feeling I won't even be able to take a single shot :(
    I'm guessing you are getting wifi in your tent? Certainly you wouldn't be in a motel.

Just about to check out of the hotel and head home. The snow stopped just in time for sunrise but the light sucked.

Good news is that I got some amazing shot at the wave a few days ago so the entire trip was not a bust.