Thread: Garmin Maps

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Garmin Maps

Wheres the best place to get the Southwest Topo's for Garmin? I just ordered the 60scx.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hi Kurt, I get maps for my Garmin Etrex here http://miscjunk.org/mj/mp_main.html. They are free and have worked well for me.

You missed some good sledding in Beaver, Jesse and I were the only ones at the trailhead on Sunday and Monday. It was epic, thanks for showing us around the area.

gpsfiledepot.com has a lot of good maps as well. Between those 2 sites, you shouldn't have to buy maps for the garmin. BTW- the miscjunk maps beat the snot out of the ones that Garmin puts out. 1:24000 scale > 1:100,000 scale

Quote Originally Posted by SLCmntjunkie View Post
    Hi Kurt, I get maps for my Garmin Etrex here http://miscjunk.org/mj/mp_main.html. They are free and have worked well for me.

You missed some good sledding in Beaver, Jesse and I were the only ones at the trailhead on Sunday and Monday. It was epic, thanks for showing us around the area.
    Really sorry I couldn't make it, I'm still in Vernal, hoping to come back this afternoon.
    Thanks for the map help, Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker View Post
    gpsfiledepot.com has a lot of good maps as well. Between those 2 sites, you shouldn't have to buy maps for the garmin. BTW- the miscjunk maps beat the snot out of the ones that Garmin puts out. 1:24000 scale > 1:100,000 scale
    Thanks a lot

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SLCmntjunkie View Post

Yea, the creator for this program has done a incredible job on it. I've tried reaching him many times, but he doesn't respond to emails. I have lots of POIs to share with him to enhance it, but unfortunately I haven't received one response.

Other that - it's a great free program.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Yea, the creator for this program has done a incredible job on it. I've tried reaching him many times, but he doesn't respond to emails. I have lots of POIs to share with him to enhance it, but unfortunately I haven't received one response.

Other that - it's a great free program.
    Thanks Jman

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Thanks Jman
    btw, I finally found my google file for ya last night. I'll send it to ya when I get home later tonight.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Wheres the best place to get the Southwest Topo's for Garmin? I just ordered the 60scx.
    I have the 1:24 and 1:100 topo files for all the western states. If you need them let me know. I got them all of the internet for free. There are also lots of motorized travel gps files for utah and nevada that work as overlays on the topos that are nice to have. I have a UTTOPO exe file that installs super nice topos for the state of utah. Then when you're in the garmin program you can select which map set you want to use, ie, garmin topo, UTTOPO, or any of the others I have installed. Handy. If you PM me your email address I'll send it via transferbigfiles.

I also have all the paiute, canyonlands, and deathvalley GPX's if you want 'em.

There is also a nifty program I use that will take waypoints and routes drawn in google earth and covert them to a gdb file, which I've found to be super handy!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Just noticed that the uttopo installer I have is the same one on the miscjunk webpage.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Kurt,

I've got the Garmin Topos for Mapsource, you're welcome to load up from my disc.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Thanks to all of you for the help, my gps should be here nest week, then I'll try my hand at loading the maps.

Kurt, not too sure about all the mapping software that's being talked about here, but I do know that the software available thru Garmin (specifically the DVD) is loaded onto your computer from the DVD. You then can utilize just the areas that you want to use. Keeping specific areas on a SD card can then be referenced as needed, rather than loading your GPS with a bunch of stuff you do not need on it. The software is interactive and has features for plotting routes, labelling etc. If you do decide to get the software, don't get the SW SD card because it doesn't work on your computer. Get the DVD and install it on your computer and pull it into your GPS the areas that you want as needed.

Great info, thanks Bo.

My current gps is a garmin Summit, I'm not even sure I can operate a newer model.

sounds like you should have it handled. i used the same free software from http://miscjunk.org/mj/mp_main.html. you can download maps onto your gps through the mapsource interface. you can plot tracks, route, waypoints and then select just which quads you want, which is handy if you have a legend with only 8 megs of memory. i use the vista c and can put quite a few maps onto my gps. the quality of the maps is very good and i can't tell the difference from the usgs topos.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Thanks Les

Blog Entries
    And having the national park topos by Garmib are a great addition too- they have a lot o trails that most other topos don't (which as they should).
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"