Thread: Weber River 02-19-2011

Weber River 02-19-2011

After a great day fishing last weekend on the Weeb, I had to go back for more no matter what the weather was doing. I got dumped on with snow for a good 1 1/2 hours, by the time I called it a day my clothes were wet to my base layer. Aside from all the snow, the river was perfect...a little off color, perfect flow and height to the water

Since fishing only the deep holes paid off for me the last time, I stuck to that game plan and quickly got into a couple of nice fish. A hard fighting (for it's size) 13" brown took the tan scud first, followed by a 15 incher.
    Name:  A copied resized&#46.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  195.7 KB
    Name:  C copied resized&#46.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  199.6 KB

A little ways upriver, a wine colored size 20 zebra midge fooled a whitefish.
    Name:  E copied resized&#46.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  192.2 KB

The bite slowed down for a while and changing flies were in order to see what would hook up a few more. I tied a gold tinsel bodied nymph (I don't know what this pattern would be called) to the end of my tippet and got into another 15" brown.
    Name:  D copied resized&#32.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  193.1 KB

My trophy of the day would be the last brown, a 17 incher that took that same gold fly. What is it about that fly that would get the fish to bite, I have no idea, I actually doubted the fly even before I tied it on. But, hey, it worked.
    Name:  H copied resized&#46.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  178.6 KB

Although the day was great, I left the river puzzled over the 2 other trout I lost. I've fished for 30 years and I've lost my share of fish to breaking lines. However, I have NEVER lost fish due to my knot coming undone and on this day it did. Has others here noticed if the colder water temps, make monofilament line more slippery or something? I corrected the problem by leaving longer than usual tag ends, but I still want to know as to "why" the knots unraveled.

Tight lines everyone.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm glad you're finding success this winter. I'm in a funk, myself.

Perhaps I should fish the rivers instead of drilling holes all day. Nice work.

...And welcome to Bogley.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Blog Entries
    Where on the weber where ya?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Where on the weber where ya?
    I fished the Mtn Green area, it's flowing nice through that area.

LOAH, Thanks for the welcome. Hey, the info and pics on your blog finally convinced a fishing buddy of mine to head out to Currant Creek with me this spring. Maybe I'll see you there.

I haven't ever had any problems with the improved clinch knot coming apart. Here in Utah, the fish don't seem to be bothered much by a long tag end. I have purposely left as much as a 1/2" tag. If you are fishing the Green or the lower Provo, one has to be more precise in every way. I might have to get out this weekend and try my luck.

Nice Browns!