Thread: Trevor Bayne

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Trevor Bayne

Not sure of the spelling, but most drivers don't even know his name, jr. didn't after the race. Great finish!!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

he did a great job of keeping his car clean and drove a great race. had to do at 190miles an hour with some guy riding your rear bumper for 500 miles. good for him. and he is only 20 years old. it's amazing he doesn't have a full season ride. he didn't even get any championship points from the race. just a fat paycheck.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm guessing he'll have a full season car soon.
    Was a bummer for him to transfer his points to another series.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    he didn't even get any championship points from the race. just a fat paycheck.
    And name recognition

Trevor Bayne had the strongest car all week. The kid ran up front all week and never made a mistake. I was happy to see him win.

Also nice to see the Wood Brothers and the famous #21 in Victory Lane again.

It was funny as hell when the kid got lost driving his car to Victory Lane. He's basically heading down the access road that leads to the parking lot before someone jumped out and got him turned around and heading in the right direction.

Name:  trevor.bayne.two&#46.jpg
Views: 3104
Size:  71.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Also nice to see the Wood Brothers and the famous #21 in Victory Lane again.

Bayne's victory connects NASCAR's past with its future

Reid Spencer SN Icon Sporting News

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.—Pay attention.
    What you saw Sunday at Daytona International Speedway was a rare watershed moment, the completion of an unbroken circle, the connection of NASCAR’s past with its future.

Trevor Bayne was just a guy running in his first Daytona 500 until he won it. (Harold Hinson for SN)

Some of the connections are obvious. Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne, barely 20 and in his own words, “just a kid,” drove the Wood Brothers’ No. 21 Ford to the win. The car’s paint scheme was the spitting image of the one that graced the No. 21 Mercury that David Pearson coaxed across the finish line after he and Richard Petty wrecked on the final lap of the 1976 Daytona 500.

Before Bayne took the checkered flag and ended a 10-year drought for NASCAR’s oldest operating race team, Pearson had given the Wood Brothers their last
    Daytona 500 victory in that 1976 race. Pearson was at Daytona for the start of Sunday’s race, as a member of the 2011 NASCAR Hall of Fame Class.

Bayne is a Sprint Cup rookie. The Daytona 500 was his second race in the series. The Wood Brothers are older than old school. They are one-room schoolhouse. Founding fathers Glen and Leonard Wood started building Cup cars in Stuart, Va., in 1953, for a succession of talented drivers. Now Glen’s sons, Eddie and Len Wood, run the team.

“I was born in the country, and somebody once told me ‘You just don’t get above your rating,’ ” said Glen Wood, who will turn 86 in July. “I’ve tried to remain who I am. I came from a small town, and I don’t reckon they expected us to be uppity or biggity—is that a word?—I used to hear that when I was a kid. But this is a proud moment for the Wood Brothers.”

Eddie Wood’s wife, Carol, had left the track with 45 laps left in Sunday’s race. She was driving through Brunswick, Ga., listening to the race on the radio, when Bayne crossed the finish line. She turned around and headed back to Daytona.

Under normal circumstances, Eddie would have sent his clothes back with Carol, but nothing about this weekend was normal. Eddie kept his clothes in Daytona.

“For some reason, I knew I was going to spend Sunday night here,” said Eddie, who may be the most superstitious person in the Cup garage. “I didn’t know why, but I knew I was going to spend the night.”

Old habits die hard. Eddie and Len Wood left the track at 10 p.m. Sunday after the teardown and inspection of the winning car and headed for Steak & Shake, where they once ate 38 consecutive meals.

Bayne celebrated at BJ’s, a restaurant right across Speedway Boulevard from Turn 1, with his parents and his crew. Bayne’s parents, Rocky and Stephanie, had watched the race from nosebleed seats in the Turn 1 grandstand, then hustled to victory lane for the celebration.

Televisions in the back room where the Bayne’s dinner took place trumpeted news of his 500 win. Bayne watched the highlights with fascination, but every time one of his interviews appeared on screen, or a fellow driver or commentator began praising his accomplishments, Bayne lowered his eyes and began reading text messages on his phone.

His humility matched that of the team that gave him the winning car.

Crew chief Donnie Wingo was there, quietly enjoying the fruits of a 30-year quest to win the 500. Wingo, Bayne and Pearson all were born in Spartanburg,

S.C. Bayne and Wingo’s children were born at the same hospital.

The connection extends to driving styles, at least for this race. Bayne approached the 500 the way Pearson would have.

“He (Pearson) talked to Trevor some, told him things to do, and said, ‘Just be careful,’ ” Glen Wood said. “That was a key to David’s success. He could sort of fall back and do what he wanted to, and all of a sudden they’d look in the mirror, and here he comes.”

Trevor Bayne never raced against Dale Earnhardt. He was one day shy of his 10th birthday when Earnhardt died in the 2001 Daytona 500.

Nevertheless, there’s a connection.

After the race, Bayne’s business manager saw a man—an Earnhardt fan—weeping on pit road.

“He was absolutely bawling,” she said. “He said, ‘It’s been 10 years, but I’ve found my driver.’ ”

I sent this to some racing friends and thought some of you might find it of interest....

I'm still not sure what to think of Daytona this year other than "it was really different"... to me the entertainment value this year was in watching the drivers and teams try to learn and adapt to something that was totally new. It's not often in any form of racing that something so revolutionary suddenly pops up... tamdem racing... who would have thought...

The race was more about who could adapt and figure out tandem racing the quickest.

That being said... I'm not a fan of the current rules package. This riding around in pairs between wrecks is just about the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Anyone watch to Nationwide race? Danica Patrick had a really fast car but was clueless when it came to figuring out how to hook up and make the tandem work. A couple fast cars tried to work with her but gave up and found a new dance partner.

I will say the tandem racing significantly limited blocking, which is a good thing in my humble opinion.

Certainly the "Wood Brothers" winning the race is a great story. I put "Wood Brothers" in quotes because I believe the car owner was actually listed as Richard Petty (!) and the car.... and driver.... came from Roush.

NASCAR now has a problem....... and that is.... the pleasure of not being able to promote the winner of their biggest race as being in every race. Curious to see what they do about that.

I'm happy for Bayne... he is a sharp kid, respectful, great innocence (kiss that good-bye), and he showed enormous patience and humility all day. He'll be a great champion of that event.

it was a strange race to watch. as was the nationwide. it was amazing to see how quick the closing rate was for some of the leaders. and for the guy blindly pushing at 190 mph. damn, talk about white knuckle concentration. could you imagine doing that yourself for 500 miles? i look forward to watching this kid progress in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    and for the guy blindly pushing at 190 mph. damn, talk about white knuckle concentration.
    The difference between racing and other sports is it takes TWO big balls to go racing....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The difference between racing and other sports is it takes TWO big balls to go racing....
    amazing they can find firesuits that are cut that liberaly. must make it tough to walk too.

that was the first race in about 2 years that i was able to call the winner before the race.. i was extremely impressed with Bayne in the Gatorade duel pushing Gorden the whole time. and was so sad to see them wreck just feet from the finish line..

on Sunday when Darrell and the other were making there picks I agreed with all of them except Jr. I looked to my dad and said "I would trade Jr for Bayne." don't get me wrong I love Jr, but he's never been a closer. He could lead all day but when it comes down to the last lap he can't close.

those last few laps of the 500 was giving me a heart attack.. starting with David getting black flagged. then there was Stewart and Mark on top, and Bayne has bad restarts so I thought for sure Stewart was going to pass him.

on the last lap I was yelling at the TV, and ended up loosing my voice for the rest of the day.

I also got a kick out of Bayne when his crew chief said "do your thing" and Bayne said "what thing"
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Visitors found this page by searching for:

who was trevor baines crew chief when he won the daytona 500