Thread: Coyote Buttes South--- HELP!!!!!

Coyote Buttes South--- HELP!!!!!

All right. We all know how hard to win a permit to Coyote Buttes. However, I just been told that there is no way to drive my car to there since it is NOT 4WD!!!!

I tried to find a tour guide but since there maybe no one else with me ( 2 minimum for the tour) which means I need to pay $600...

I can't find any 4wd rental company. Any suggestions? I will hiking in this Saturday ( 2/19/2011). Is there anyone else will be there and would like to share me a ride, please? I would LOVE to PAY for you!!!!

PLEASE~~Anybody, I really need your help. Otherwise, I probably have to hike all the way to there...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Hiking all the way there is not likely. Walk in permits this time of year for North Coyote Buttes really are not very hard to come by. I have always been able to get them. Sadly my land rover died last year, so can't help you there. If you cannot get a permit or a 4WD you can always get a day hike permit for Buckskin but there might be water even in the early section so bring neoprene socks. It is possible to do Paw Hole with a high clearance 2WD, but not Cottonwood.

Call 1-800-SEE-Kane to see if there is any where in Kanab right now that rents 4WD's. Are you coming through Page or Kanab?

http://www.zionnational-park.com/buckskin-gulch.htm

http://www.zionnational-park.com/sou...ote-buttes.htm

Found this one google, but know nothing about them
    http://www.xpressrentalcarofkanab.com/

http://www.airport-carrentals.com/ci...age_az_us_pga/

I haven't been to Coyote Buttes for about 6 years, but when I was there in winter, the road from Highway 89A in the south all the way up to Coyote Buttes North was in great shape--a 2WD car could have done it. I came in from the north on Highway 89 in early afternoon, however, and it was really muddy. Another SUV that came down the same way the next morning when the mud was still frozen had a much easier time. I couldn't believe how much mud was on my vehicle compared to the other SUV--and it was just due to time of day we had driven.

If you really are going to South Coyote Buttes, from what I recall you should be able to drive up from 89A easily.
    The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right. (Mark Twain)

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Kid View Post
    If you really are going to South Coyote Buttes, from what I recall you should be able to drive up from 89A easily.
    there was flooding in the area back in Dec. That may have rutted the road and i doubt the road has been graded since. Best to call the Kanab BLM office for road conditions.

Dear all,

I greatly appreciated for your help and information. I will coming through Kanab, and I will definitely take 89 as my first choice. The unconfident started after the phone call with ranger. As she said my car can't access to South coyote buttes. But I bet she misunderstand me --I plan to park my car in Lone tree and walk to there.

Anyway, that you guys!!!! I am sure it will be GREAT FUN!!!!!

P.S.I got my permit just few days ago like a drama~~

Bogley BigShot
    Oh.. I assumed you were talking about needing a 4WD for SOUTH coyotee Buttes. Yes, you don't noramlly need one for North. Do call like Shaun suggests though and find out the road conditions.

Lone Tree/Paw Hole is South Coyote Buttes. You should be able to get there with a high clearance 2WD. You won't get to Cottonwood Teepees.

If you are doing the Wave - North Coyote Buttes, you just park in an area right off the main dirt road.

Directions for South Coyote Buttes
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/sou...ote-buttes.htm

Directions for North Coyote Buttes - The Wave
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/coy...ttes-paria.htm

Thanks a lot, Tanya!!! Greatly appreciate for your information. BTW, I also plan to head to Wahweap hoodos, do you think a 2WD can drive to there? I checked a lot about that, but barely find any information about the car.

Thanks~~

Bogley BigShot
    No problem with Wahweap as long as you are doing the hike and not the short cut. Love that hike! You park just outside of the town of Big Water.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/wahweap-hoodoos.htm

Anyone been out this way in the last couple of days or going this week? I'm specifically curious about how bad House Rock Road is with all the snow that came over the weekend. And does anyone know how the sand tracks out towards CBS and White Pocket are when wet and snowy? I imagine they're actually easier to drive, right?

Well~~I would like to share my experience for the past Saturday with you guys.

You all know how serious that I treated it, so nothing can stop me -- even the extremely heavy rain. I was at 25.5 when the rain poured like shower. Since the road was extremely muddy, so I planed to walk to the trail head by myself no matter how. Even that, I still figured out that there was no way. The mud stick to my shoes and made the walking became very hard.

I still didn't want to give up. So later on, I went to the ranger station at dinosaur tracking and Lake Powell visitor center. However, both of the rangers said if I insisted to hiking, I put myself in an unsurvival situation...ok....

However, lucky me. Since I just gave a call to Ranger office and the gentleman there heard my story and decide to issue me a rain check!!!!! WOW!!!!!!

p.s.The ranger said the road will not be completely dry till 2 weeks later, based on this heavy rain...

Bogley BigShot
    You do deserve a rain check.

I was just talking to the BLM Field office and I got some useful information that I thought I'd share here.

The north end of House Rock Road was just bladed a couple of weeks ago, first time in about 2 years apparently. It is wet right now but HC 4WD with good tires should be able to handle it no problem.

Buckskin gulch did not flow with the most recent storm and they expected I would not encounter any significant water on a dayhike in the upper portion of it near Wire Pass.

The sand tracks to Coyote Buttes South are supposed to be in better driving condition that normal because the soft sand will be damp and will provide better traction.

That's good to hear, we are heading down next week to the south end. Looks like sun all next week, the rain this weekend should pack down that sand for us. Thanks for your post ibenick