Thread: MOab Swinglining

MOab Swinglining

Rich posted this over on the ACA site but I thought the bogleyites might want to get in line to give this a whirl.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

They do a similar pendulum off the bridge over the Virgin River near Hurricane. I know the local Hurricane paramedics and they haul a half dozen kids to the hospital each year who mess it up.

Also seen something like this done from Wild Horse Window in the San Rafael Swell.

Not sure if I'd try it or not... my inner child is thinking "WOW, lots of fun"... but the old man in me is thinking "a lot could go wrong".

Awesome!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    They do a similar pendulum off the bridge over the Virgin River near Hurricane. I know the local Hurricane paramedics and they haul a half dozen kids to the hospital each year who mess it up.

Also seen something like this done from Wild Horse Window in the San Rafael Swell.

Mike and I used to do that all the time! We would also do it in the Virgin gorge under the last bridge where the climbing is. After we were done climbing we'd set it up. I cut it pretty close once and bounced and scraped my ass all along the bottom. Hurt like hell.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Yikes! Last guy I met that had done it down by Hurricane was in a wheelchair...

Folks should read "Fall of the Phantom Lord". Dan O died doing a similar type rope jump/swing.

Makes the thing at lagoon look like a walk in the park. :D

Here is a video of some guys that did a 450' rope swing in Moab and claimed it as a world record.

These guys also mention a couple of near misses....

Oh my heck that looks fun!!
    i love the part with the guy who goes aussie. that is RAD.

Fantastic.

*Don't try this at home

After they get done cleaning out their shorts and stop swinging are they using a second rope to rappel to the ground?

Blog Entries
    Mark, im guessing that option, as ascending would take awhile. But then again, I didn't see a second rope dangling...

And it's not like they can just drop off the end of the rope either, lol - it's probably at least 10-20ft off the ground.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I've swung over I-15 off of the anchors at the top of Mentor in the Virgin River Gorge, pretty fun but not as crazy as what these dudes are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Folks should read "Fall of the Phantom Lord".

Good book. Folks should read it.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Mark, im guessing that option, as ascending would take awhile. But then again, I didn't see a second rope dangling...

And it's not like they can just drop off the end of the rope either, lol - it's probably at least 10-20ft off the ground.
    Looks like they have a rope coiled up and attached to their harness? Without a rope going to the ground seems like it would be hard to get the rope back to the top so you could soil your shorts again.

there was a clip showing one of them walking up the vertical cliff hanging onto the rope.

Posted from this thread in the same vein.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...Quad-backflips.