Thread: Canyons of Lake Garda?

Canyons of Lake Garda?

Sadly, this year our merry gang of intrepid, if somewhat "methodical" all-female canyoneers is not planning to meet up in Utah, because life is intruding for some of us making the logistics infeasible (very much hoping to be back in 2012 - if nothing else I expect the UK contingent will be sick of the Olympic hype by then).

Instead some of us are going to spend a couple of weeks in the impressively soaring Dolomites generally scaring ourselves half to death on via ferratas (vias ferrata? via ferratae? whatever).

But while we are there, it occurs to me that we might want a change and will be in range of Lake Garda, where there is some canyoneering, sorry, canyoning to be had.

Have done a bit of hunting on the web, but information (at least in English) seems rather less developed than what is available for colorado plateau canyons - very little in the way of technical beta, and of course being Europe the rating system we're familiar with isn't used. Indeed, most of the stuff I can find on the web is for guided tours.

I don't especially want to do a guided tour, but obviously won't go into any canyon I can't be sure I can get through safely, and lots of these look kinda wet.

So I suppose I'm asking if any of you guys have any experience with canyoning in Europe (especially around Lake Garda), and can offer any suggestions about where I can go for information, pitfalls, etc.?

The backup plan is to take a guided tour (

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There are several canyons around Lago de Garda. The nicest one is probably Orsa. East side of the lake. Beautiful canyon below a monastery built into the cliffs. The approach follows the trail that leads up to the monastery. Very slick rock in the canyon so be careful. Did it in 1999 so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I recall the biggest rappel to be around 60 meters.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlizzy View Post
    But while we are there, it occurs to me that we might want a change and will be in range of Lake Garda, where there is some canyoneering, sorry, canyoning to be had.

Have done a bit of hunting on the web, but information (at least in English) seems rather less developed than what is available for colorado plateau canyons - very little in the way of technical beta, and of course being Europe the rating system we're familiar with isn't used.

So I suppose I'm asking if any of you guys have any experience with canyoning in Europe (especially around Lake Garda), and can offer any suggestions about where I can go for information, pitfalls, etc.?
    There's a lot of us that have gone over to international rendezvous for canyoning. Not sure the regular attendees post here much, but, Rich has been, Randy, Luca, Nivelda, Evan, Sonny, etc etc. There's usually a few locations where they happen across Europe, and, they are wicked fun to say the least. Great way to see and experience that type of canyoning.

This site has a both a good forum and beta on canyons:

http://www.descente-canyon.com/

The forum section has a portion devoted to rendezvous.

Also, look under "base de canyons" in the section for "Trentino-Alto Adige". You see options for Bolzano, Trento and Lac de Garde, amongst others. Some stuff quite near the Dolomites. Probably stuff right in the Dolomites too.

You could always pick a town, and, contact the tourism folks for canyoning info.

If you're not used to watery canyons (which, the best canyons in Europe are high flow, methinks), then, going out with a guide and learning might be a really good option. Then, doing a few canyons on the easier scale post guide would be great (and not near as daunting).

Near Lago di Garda is Arco, home of super great rock climbing. I'd recommend staying there. Nice campground within walking distance of town and some reasonable hotels/villas too. Great place to spend the off hours, and, a gob of gear stores to drool over as well.

Thought there was a few English language canyoning guidebooks for Europe? Have to surf around for that, I suppose. Cicerone?

Cheers!

Thanks for the pointers guys! Some great resources to look into.

Rich - can you remember what it was like for anchors? With all the development of the Dolomites (including the lightning conductors, er, I mean via ferratas which we're going there for in the first place) it occurs to me that there's probably quite a bit of bolting?

Keep in mind it was 12 years ago, but ... definitely bolted then and I'm sure it is now. It's Europe.

We did not have a guidebook. We had been in Austria and Switzerland. One of the guys we met in Austria told us about Orsa. We knew the name of the village and that the canyon was near the big church. We drove around the village for an hour or more looking for a big church. Actually gave up looking and went to have a late lunch. Mentioned our quest to the waitress. She pointed to the monastery high up in the cliffs. It was a BIG CHURCH. Descended the upper half of the canyon after lunch, but it started getting dark so we started looking for an exit on canyon left. We found a side drainage with a fixed cable ladder. At the top of the latter was a trail blazed with the colors of the Italian flag painted on rocks.

Returned the next morning to do the entire canyon. The thing that sticks out most in my memory was the slippery rock. Beautiful canyon though. Definitely worth doing.

We did another canyon at the south tip of the lake as well. I don't recall the name. Pretty short, but sweet. Maybe a couple hours. Not planned. We saw the last waterfall from the road. Figured out how to drop in from a topo map. It was also bolted.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlizzy View Post
    With all the development of the Dolomites (including the lightning conductors, er, I mean via ferratas which we're going there for in the first place) it occurs to me that there's probably quite a bit of bolting?
    Yeah, routes both up and down can tend to be very well equipped. The via ferrata we did outside Cortina (Tofana di Rozes) had new stainless cable and fixed anchors. I can't imagine the expense, but, its known to bring in tourists.

Recall a canyon I did in the Vercors area which also had a via ferrata coming right out of the water. Kinda neat, if you're into that sort of thing. So, my bet is you can find a combination of the two as well.

I'll wager any canyon info you get from the tourist offices are very well equipped. Ditto any venues that are commmonly guided.

Rich Carlson, Instructor