Thread: Mesa Verde and the surrounding areas

Mesa Verde and the surrounding areas

Having been inspired by a previous post on this forum, we are planning a family vacation in June at Circle K Ranch in the San Juan mountains. Part of the agenda is calling for a day at Mesa Verde. I have never been there or anywhere close to there, and want to make the most of the trip. What are the 'cant miss' hikes around Mesa Verde? Are there any good, not SO crowded hikes? I am mostly looking to get some good pictures. Are there good, half day type hikes, or is it just being herded around paved walkways with a bunch of other people?

Also, if you have any suggestions or ideas for the surrounding area in the San Juan mountains, that would be appreciated too.

Thanks!
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think you're going to be a little disappointed if you are planning on hiking at Mesa Verde...
    There are only four established hiking trails in the park, and only one of these is more than 2.5 miles. Three trails originate near the campground in the far north end of the park, and the Petroglyph Trail is in the far south end. Don't expect great petroglyphs on the Petroglyph Trail...I saw them the first time on this trail but completely missed them the second time. On the other hand, you will see some amazing Anasazi ruins rivaled in the Southwest only by Chaco Canyon. Don't miss Cliff House Tour but you must purchase a ticket and take a guided tour--plan ahead as this may sell out during busy times. Most people check out the ruins and not so much hiking. Most of the cliff dwellings you will not be able to enter, so make certain you have a zoom lens because you will mostly be shooting from a distance. You will have an enjoyable day and there are a few places with great views ot the north and west, but you probably won't hike much.

Can't speak for what else to do in the area outside the park, but I'm sure somebody else will respond.
    The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right. (Mark Twain)

If you have the time, go down to Chaco Canyon. I thought it was more cool than Mesa Verde. You'll have some great pictures down there, and it won't be as crowded as Mesa Verde.

if you do end up going as far south as Chaco, let me know....I have been to that area quite a few times and can give you some pointers for a good day trip
    The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right. (Mark Twain)

suck it up and run with the herd. you won't regret it.

the ruins there are amazing. spruce treehouse, cliff palace, etc...
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    I haven't been able to bring myself to do that yet....I hate big groups of people......maybe when I'm too old to do much of anything else.....
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post

the ruins there are amazing. spruce treehouse, cliff palace, etc...
    agreed....everyone should see them at least once

There is just something “Disneyesque” to me about having sidewalks leading right up to Cliff Palace and Spruce Tree House. Knowing of all the reconstruction that has been done to the ruins at M.V. over the years, much of which was subject to the interpretation of the government director at the time.
    Not to mention the more than 500,000 people that you might bump into over the course of a year.
    Randy has the right idea....Mesa Verde is a great place to visit....when you are too old or unable to hike to all of the other smaller, mostly untouched sites outside of a National Park. But then again.....some folks love Disneyland (World).
    "You're not lost...if you don't care where you are"
    Grand Gulch /Cedar Mesa Rock Art Hats

To learn more about the ruins of SE Utah:
    Visit Beyond Mesa Verde
    Visit Anasazi Ruins

Quote Originally Posted by Reddirtdawg View Post
    There is just something “Disneyesque” to me about having sidewalks leading right up to Cliff Palace and Spruce Tree House. Knowing of all the reconstruction that has been done to the ruins at M.V. over the years, much of which was subject to the interpretation of the government director at the time.
    Not to mention the more than 500,000 people that you might bump into over the course of a year.
    Randy has the right idea....Mesa Verde is a great place to visit....when you are too old or unable to hike to all of the other smaller, mostly untouched sites outside of a National Park. But then again.....some folks love Disneyland (World).
    I tend to agree with you here. However, this particular trip is 1) a family vacation with the inlaws who do happen to fall in to that category, and 2) will be the first longer trip we take with our baby. Even still, if there are other, less well known and tampered with areas nearby (I think Chaco might be too much of a drive for this trip) I would much rather check that out.

Mesa Verde is on the agenda because we are posting up nearby for a few days. Although I do kinda feel inclined to see it all just once...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Dwyane27 ~ yes....there is nothing wrong with visiting M.V. I have been there many, many times for various reasons. It is perfect for your situation with young children, elderly folks or people visiting short on time. I am glad that it is there for everyone to enjoy. It serves a great purpose as an introduction to an ancient civilization.....but one does have to realize while visiting....that it IS a National Park and there is a lot that goes along with that.
    "You're not lost...if you don't care where you are"
    Grand Gulch /Cedar Mesa Rock Art Hats

To learn more about the ruins of SE Utah:
    Visit Beyond Mesa Verde
    Visit Anasazi Ruins

I would recommend Hovenweep. It is located off a well maintained road a little north and west of Dolores. Although not as large as Mesa Verde, it is equally as spectacular and significant IMO. And it's wilderness setting (opposite of Mesa Verde) lends itself to more discussions with the family about who was here before etc. When we lived in Telluride we went there with our son a few times, beginning when he was 2 or so. If you don't want the busy, crowded thing Hovenweep might be worth a look. You can also visit the Anasazi Visitors center in Dolores.

And speaking of Telluride, you could always take the gang up there for the day. Hop on the free gondola, see the waterfalls, ride up to the old mining works. On the other hand, might want to avoid Telluride if the bluegrass fest happens to be happening and head for Durango, train ride (take the bus back).

If you have never been to Mesa Verde it is definitely worth a visit. Yes, a lot of the place has been recontructed. Yes, it is a little like an amusement park(no rides though...) and yes, there are a ton of people there, but it is definitely worth a visit. Cliff Palace, Spruce Tree House, The Sun Temple, and Balcony House are a few of the major attractions. In my opinion it is a great place for a family trip if you have young kids, elderly people, or people who don't want to hike much.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Can't offer anymore than what has been stated.
    Congrats to you guys on the new baby
    Boy or Girl?
    Name?

Thanks for all the input. I think we will definitely plan on the standard Mesa Verde stuff. To hit all the good stuff, is that gonna take us a full day? And I think we will probably head up to Telluride as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Can't offer anymore than what has been stated.
    Congrats to you guys on the new baby
    Boy or Girl?
    Name?
    Its a boy - his name is Casin. He is quite awesome, and we are excited to get out with him. Gotta find a little baby sized harness so we can get him canyoneering ASAP...

Oh- Sand Canyon/Canyon of the Ancients is nearby and not as crowded as MV. It's a fun little walk if you get off the trails and poke around at the base of the cliffs. You'll find many more ruins that way.

Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27 View Post
    Gotta find a little baby sized harness so we can get him canyoneering ASAP...
    We've had the same thought with ours. We're thinking a body harness is the way to go. When they're that little their heads pull them over so they'd be upside down in a normal harness!

Couple of other thoughts for family fun.... if you are in Blanding they have a nice Dinosaur Museum the kids love and Edge of The Cedars Museum is a must see for those interested in the Anasazi.