Thread: Camping with a baby

Camping with a baby

So my wife and I just had our first kid at the end of December, and since the camping season is fast approaching, we are starting to make plans.

How cold is too cold to bring a 2 month old?

Also, what kinds of gear am I gonna want to have with the new addition. We have a kid carrier pack, but any other tips you guys have would be appreciated.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hmm. Good question. My daugher spent 17 nights outside before she turned 1; 2 of them being on short backpacking trips. The coldest we've had her was about 30 degrees.

Good job being determined to keep camping now that you're a dad. A lot of guys give up on camping, backpacking, etc when they have kids and get a little bit bitter. You don't have to stop doing things, you just do them differently. I think that kids inherently like the outdoors, but get taught to not like it. If you have a bad night or two (and you will), don't give up. You've probably had a few bad nights with the little one already when you're just at home.

Essentials: a knitted hat for the baby

Tip: Warm up some water on your stove and put it in a nalgene bottle then wrap it up with the baby to help keep it warm. This also works wonders for cold feet in the bottom of the sleeping bag.

It's hard to remember back that far

But all he needed was his blanky and his Superman pj's. This is a car camping trip above the Green. We took our son backpacking around this time also. He spent a lot of time in Southern Utah.
    It is never too early to get the kids out. When our son was real young we kept him in the sleeping bag with me (semi rectangular).

Name:  kyle above green&#32.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  46.2 KB

I am leaning towards just packing up and going the first weekend in March. Average temps for that weekend are highs in the upper 50s and lows in the mid 20s. Think a month old would be OK if we keep him nice and bundled up, maybe keep him in a laundry basket on some blankets, with some nice nalgene bottles full of hot water tucked in there, and another blanket cover the basket?
    I cant decide if I think my plan will work, or I am being irresponsible. I guess I need to convince the wife before anything else matters...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

How cold is too cold to bring a 2 month old?
    People were birthing babies for thousands of years in the arctic, even during the winter. There really is no such thing as being too cold for a 2 month old as long as they are kept warm and bundled.

Ourselves though, we never took our babies camping when it was below zero. 2F was the coldest we ever took our baby camping. Just make sure to keep the baby wipes in the sleeping bag. The do freeze and kids don't like frozen baby wipes on their bums.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

took my first son winter camping when he was 5 months old. actually the question of how young is too young is kinda of silly. technically the anasazi were camping from birth. so as long as you keep him warm and fed there is no too young.

i did find that doing river trips were far easier than hiking trips with the little ones.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I started taking my daughter camping when she was 2 months old here in Colorado. Mostly 4wheel up to a secluded area and pull out a tent. I think the coldest it ever got was upper 20's. I found that bringing a blanket for her to play around was very useful, of course thats when they are already able to sit on their own. But your baby carrier and a hot rock wrapped in a towel will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27 View Post
    I guess I need to convince the wife before anything else matters...
    Actually, that's the biggest thing you need with kids- a wife that's easily convinced. If you don't have that, nothing else matters.

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker View Post
    Actually, that's the biggest thing you need with kids- a wife that's easily convinced. If you don't have that, nothing else matters.
    Very true - lucky for me, my wife is pretty awesome like that. I think we are planning on giving this a go in a couple weeks, unless the weather is abnormally unpleasant.

Camping with kids can be an adventure. It takes some extra patience and the understanding that they go at their own speed.

Just got back from our first trip with the baby. It was just a one nighter - but it was awesome. Perfect weather the whole time, and it didnt even really get cold during the night.

It was a change of pace from our usual canyoneering trips, as all we did was play around in Goblin Valley, and head up Little Wild Horse a ways. But our baby did really really good, and we went with my brother and his 3 year old, and it was their first time camping too. It was a great trip, and fun to go with our kid, even though at two months, obviously he wasnt aware of much, but it really seemed like he enjoyed it, he was just awake and quiet and staring at everything. My 3 year old nephew and my brother were both very impressed.

Pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images        

well done!!!! looks like all had a positive experience.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    good stuff, Devin and Marissa.

Yep, awesome!