Thread: SW Road Trip Suggestions with little hiking?

SW Road Trip Suggestions with little hiking?

I'm not sure this really belongs in the 'hiking' section of the forum, but I know a lot of you will have good suggestions for me. (I tend to ramble so please bear with me )

I'm in the infancy stages of planning a road trip through Utah/Arizona in the fall (likely early october). And when I say 'road trip', I mean sticking mostly to things we can see with very little walking involved. I am hoping to put together a 10-14 day road trip with my mom who has never been out that way and also can't really do too much in the way of hiking.

She really doesn't get out much, and has fallen in love with the photos that I've brought back, as well as the better photos I've shown her in books and on the internet...I was thinking it would be an awesome early birthday present to put this together.

I'd like to compile a good list of places we can visit and see without too much walking. I realize/accept that a lot of these places will be very touristy, but if anyone has any suggestions on some lesser known, but too hard to access places, I'd love to hear them. I'd also like to show her some of the beautiful places I've seen, while also seeing some places I've yet to go. I don't know if we'll fly into Vegas or SLC, but it will probably be one or the other (though if we're really ambitious, we could drive from New England).

Some of the places I've been to that I want to show her are:
    Valley of Fire SP,
    Page/Lake Powell (I'd like to take a boat tour, maybe to Rainbow Bridge? And I did Lower Antelope Canyon, not sure she'd be able to get around in there, but maybe upper?),
    Monument Valley,
    Goosenecks SP,
    Moab (Arches/Deadhorse/Canyonlands),
    Bryce

I drove through Capitol Reef and Zion but didn't spend any time there due to sickness.

I've still yet to see the Grand Canyon.

So, yeah, long story short, I'd like to put together a reasonable road trip with beautiful places to see, some activities we can do, places to catch sunrise/sunset (I would still like to get some beautiful photos), and have some beautiful/scenic drives..

Could also use suggestions on good lodging/food along the way, but I'll dig for that when appropriate...

Has anyone done this with a parent, or family member before? I know it'll be tough not to ditch my mom in a hotel and take a hike but we'll manage! Also, not sure if I'll be able to drag other folks with us to cut costs down, but will keep posted...

That was probably a pain in the butt to read, but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm looking to do, and I appreciate any suggestions!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Scenic Drives-
    Bryce & Red Canyon
    Snow Canyon
    Kanab to Springdale

To see & Do:
    Parowan Gap Petroglyphs
    Meadow Hot Springs
    Tabernacle Hill Lava Tubes
    Silver Reef Ghost Town
    Fremont Indian State Park
    Willis Creek
    Red Cliffs Preserve
    Mammoth Lava Cave

Not Recommended-
    Pipe Springs National Monument

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker View Post
    Scenic Drives-
    Bryce & Red Canyon
    Snow Canyon
    Kanab to Springdale

To see & Do:
    Parowan Gap Petroglyphs
    Meadow Hot Springs
    Tabernacle Hill Lava Tubes
    Silver Reef Ghost Town
    Fremont Indian State Park
    Willis Creek
    Red Cliffs Preserve
    Mammoth Lava Cave

Not Recommended-
    Pipe Springs National Monument
    oh wow, thanks for the suggestions, researching those will keep me busy for a while, I really appreciate you taking the time!
    The more 'non touristy' the places we can see (on top of the obvious ones I mentioned that I do want to visit) the more awesome it should be.

Thanks again, hiker!

Natural Bridge National Monument has a loop you drive with some great view points.

Stop at Goblin Valley on the way from or too whereever.

Highway 12 (Escalante to Capitol Reef) is one of the most beautiful drives on the planet.

Capitol Reef has a lot of fun stuff for the windshield tourist.

Bryce is a great stop that can be enjoyed with almost no hiking.

Lots of ruins and rock art in Cedar Mesa you can drive to with a 4x4.

I recommend you look through my "Family Fun" section for off the radar stuff suitable for seniors and children
    http://climb-utah.com/family.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Natural Bridge National Monument has a loop you drive with some great view points.

Stop at Goblin Valley on the way from or too whereever.

Highway 12 (Escalante to Capitol Reef) is one of the most beautiful drives on the planet.

Capitol Reef has a lot of fun stuff for the windshield tourist.

Bryce is a great stop that can be enjoyed with almost no hiking.

Lots of ruins and rock art in Cedar Mesa you can drive to with a 4x4.

I recommend you look through my "Family Fun" section for off the radar stuff suitable for seniors and children
    http://climb-utah.com/family.htm
    Good idea with the website. Rt 12 was definitely my favorite drive of our trip (I went in the other direction), and will definitely do that again.
    We stopped by Goblin Valley too, though we were very sick, and only wandered around for a little bit. Bryce is a definite, and I'd love to hear suggestions on what we can/should do at Capitol Reef... especially since I skipped it.

I'm having trouble convincing her to do it, so it might not happen, but I'm hoping I can talk her into it. I'll probably have to cut back on the activities and allow for a lot of relaxation time (which is opposite of what I usually try to do planning a trip, though it would be a good change of pace )

Thanks again for the suggestions.

VEGAS BABY!!!!!!!!!
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jdgibney View Post
    and I'd love to hear suggestions on what we can/should do at Capitol Reef... especially since I skipped it.
    There is a scenic drive south from the ranger station. that takes you down the west side of the reef. The old town of Fruita inside the park has some fun stuff. The old school house is a favorite along with picking fruit in the orchards if its the right time of year. Some nice rock art and walkway next to the highway. There are a bunch of easy hikes in Capitol Reef.