Thread: Hiking to Reflection Canyon

Hiking to Reflection Canyon

In April 2006 National Geographic published the article "Glen Canyon Revealed" with a picture of Reflection Canyon, a side canyon of Lake Powell. The image of Michael Melford not only fascinated me and many other photographers, but also immediately the search for the location of the view point began. It did not take long till you could find the coordinates of the location on the internet. The problem was that a longer boat ride on Lake Powell was necessary to get to the Reflection Canyon. But even then the uncertainty remains if you would find a way in the steep sandstone walls to climb from Lake Powell to the top of the hill in order to reach the right photo spot.

Hence, I decided to hike from Hole-in-the-Rock Road to Reflection Canyon. The complete story of this hike can be found on my homepage. Unfortunately the water level of Lake Powell was much higher than in 2006 and the pictures of Reflection Canyon look a bit different.

Name:  IMG_4236..jpg
Views: 6984
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4255..jpg
Views: 6233
Size:  82.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Been a few years since I've run up reflection, thanks for sharing.

I Plan on spending a lot of time at Powell in the very near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Raigro View Post
    In April 2006 National Geographic published the article "Glen Canyon Revealed" with a picture of a side canyon of Lake Powell. The image of Michael Melford not only fascinated me and many other photographers.
    Hi,

I reed the same article, had the same problem. In 2012, I'll break the bank and rent a speedboat for 5 days.

Reflection Canyon revisited

You may call me stupid or you may think
    Attached Images Attached Images