View Poll Results: What do you want done with your body when you die?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cremate me

21 56.76%
  • Bury me anywhere

3 8.11%
  • Donate my body parts to science first

15 40.54%
  • Leave me in my mom's basement to rot

0 0%
  • Bury me by family

8 21.62%
  • Donate some body parts only

5 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: When I die....

Bogley BigShot

When I die....

Have you thought about it? You can vote for more than one.

Do you want others to use your body parts? Is it against your faith? Do you hate the idea of doctors slicing you up for parts? Does it make you happy to help others after you die? Do you really want to have a mortician undressing you and making up your dead body? Do you want a grave for family to visit? Would you rather just have your ashes spread over a place you love?

I watched this show the other day where a girl was not dead, but the mortician made her think she was. She was drugged so she could not move. He treated her like a dead body. Then he buried her alive. Sick! I vote for cremation and donating my body parts to science.
    http://www.netflix.com/Movie/After.Life/70114491

Have you made a will. Do you care where your things end up? I need to. I have a program that guides me in that direction. I need to get with it!

I avoid all funerals. I hate them!!!!! I am too emotional and cry too much. People think I am mean because I don't go, but they don't understand. I don't want to put anyone through having to go to a funeral.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Science and cremation. If there is anything left after the science option then ashes will be my last parting gift to friends. Directions are to spread them in wild, remote, beautiful locations. I don't want to rest on a fireplace mantle.
    It's your fault, you shouldn't have been there!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I don't care what my kids do with my body after I die as long as there is no viewing! I HATE that. I hate it when people stand there at a viewing staring at the deceased and say "they look so peaceful" or "they look so good". Go have a party and drink a few shots of tequila in my honor and call it good. If my children feel they need a place to visit then I am okay with them burying me other wise cremate me and spread my ashes in a place they feel best.

Having a place to visit seems to have helped them greatly with their Dad's death (7 years ago this month). We use to visit frequently but as time has passed their need to go has decreased and mostly when we do we stop by the cemetery usually on our way back from skiing at Snowbasin or hiking up there. I always stopped after a good bike ride. And now when we stop by it is more that we enjoy the scenery and peacefulness of the cemetery then we are mourning him. His grave is in the cemetery right behind the Sinclair gas station in Mt. Green. It is kinda eerie as my name and the kids names are on his tombstone. I am water skiing in the picture with the kids standing on the shore next to their Dad. Why I am water skiing I don't know as I am not really a fan of the sport. We go we are there for 10 minutes tops and gone again but I really think this has helped the kids a ton to have a place for their Dad.
    Chere'

I want to got out with a bang. No, he went peaceable in his sleep. I want people to say dang that was cool it sucks he's gone.
    I like the party idea too.
    IF she isn't happy no ones happy. If she isn't happy long enough you'll unhappy with half your stuff.
    http://childbikingutah.blogspot.com/

Definitely cremation! And, if there's anyone still around that cares enough to do it (since I don't have kids), I want my ashes scattered in the Grand Canyon.

This is what I did for my best friend after he died coming up on 6 years this May. His family asked me to choose the rim location scatter his ashes and those of his father (both were lost to suicide). Later, found out you really aren't supposed to scatter human remains in a National Park...ask me if I care about that law, or breaking it ?

With his mother's permission, I kept some of his ashes in a small glass urn/jar, and around the time of the 1-year anniversary of his death, I hiked down Bright Angel trail and scattered them in the Colorado River at Pipe Creek beach - one of our favorite hang-outs for dayhikes.

So, ideally, that's what I'd like to happen to mine when I die. Same places would be great, even!
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

I have no problem with donating my body to science but I would not want some high school kid poking my dead body in the butt thinking it was funny. For the most part if I donate my body to science, I would like it to be for the betterment of humanity and not for some required course that some kid takes in school.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I wrote some instructions both times I went to Iraq. The part that stands out is wanting a religion-free funeral and a scripture on my tombstone. The scripture I picked out (only if I died in Iraq) was Psalm 137:1

"By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion."

(See, cause the Babylon rivers are in Iraq and I'd rather be in Zion (the park not the bank nor the place where god's people gather).

I was thinking about this thread today and was reminded of something I read about Ed Abbey. Here it is taken from the wikipedia page about him:

Showing his sense of humor, he left a message for anyone who asked about his final words: "No comment." Abbey also left instructions on what to do with his remains: Abbey wanted his body transported in the bed of a pickup truck, and wished to be buried as soon as possible. He did not want to be embalmed or placed in a coffin. Instead, he preferred to be placed inside of an old sleeping bag, and requested that his friends disregard all state laws concerning burial. "I want my body to help fertilize the growth of a cactus or cliff rose or sagebrush or tree." said the message. For his funeral, Abbey stated "No formal speeches desired, though the deceased will not interfere if someone feels the urge. But keep it all simple and brief." He requested gunfire and bagpipe music, a cheerful and raucous wake, "[a]nd a flood of beer and booze! Lots of singing, dancing, talking, hollering, laughing, and lovemaking."

A 2003 Outside article[specify] described how his friends honored his request:
    "The last time Ed smiled was when I told him where he was going to be buried," says Doug Peacock, an environmental crusader in Edward Abbey's inner circle. On March 14, 1989, the day Abbey died from esophageal bleeding at 62, Peacock, along with his friend Jack Loeffler, his father-in-law Tom Cartwright, and his brother-in-law Steve Prescott, wrapped Abbey's body in his blue sleeping bag, packed it with dry ice, and loaded Cactus Ed into Loeffler's Chevy pickup. After stopping at a liquor store in Tucson for five cases of beer, and some whiskey to pour on the grave, they drove off into the desert. The men searched for the right spot the entire next day and finally turned down a long rutted road, drove to the end, and began digging. That night they buried Ed and toasted the life of America's prickliest and most outspoken environmentalist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I was thinking about this thread today and was reminded of something I read about Ed Abbey. Here it is taken from the wikipedia page about him:

Showing his sense of humor, he left a message for anyone who asked about his final words: "No comment." Abbey also left instructions on what to do with his remains: Abbey wanted his body transported in the bed of a pickup truck, and wished to be buried as soon as possible. He did not want to be embalmed or placed in a coffin. Instead, he preferred to be placed inside of an old sleeping bag, and requested that his friends disregard all state laws concerning burial. "I want my body to help fertilize the growth of a cactus or cliff rose or sagebrush or tree." said the message. For his funeral, Abbey stated "No formal speeches desired, though the deceased will not interfere if someone feels the urge. But keep it all simple and brief." He requested gunfire and bagpipe music, a cheerful and raucous wake, "[a]nd a flood of beer and booze! Lots of singing, dancing, talking, hollering, laughing, and lovemaking."

A 2003 Outside article[specify] described how his friends honored his request:
    "The last time Ed smiled was when I told him where he was going to be buried," says Doug Peacock, an environmental crusader in Edward Abbey's inner circle. On March 14, 1989, the day Abbey died from esophageal bleeding at 62, Peacock, along with his friend Jack Loeffler, his father-in-law Tom Cartwright, and his brother-in-law Steve Prescott, wrapped Abbey's body in his blue sleeping bag, packed it with dry ice, and loaded Cactus Ed into Loeffler's Chevy pickup. After stopping at a liquor store in Tucson for five cases of beer, and some whiskey to pour on the grave, they drove off into the desert. The men searched for the right spot the entire next day and finally turned down a long rutted road, drove to the end, and began digging. That night they buried Ed and toasted the life of America's prickliest and most outspoken environmentalist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Abbey
    That is awesome ! I knew he was buried somewhere out in the desert near Tucson and that it was done by friends without fanfare. Good on you, Ed!

I always thought it would be cool to have a funeral pyre. I was just reading in the latest issue of Outside magazine that friends of deceased kayaker Hendrick Coetzee had one, of sorts, for him. Since his body was never found (he was clearly eaten by the 15-foot croc that pulled him out of his kayak), it was symbolic.
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

"Bury me upside down so my critics can kiss my a$$!"

My wife and I have had this conversation a few times. I want any good functioning organs to be used by someone who could benefit from them. Then I want to be cremated and my ashes taken back home to Maui and spread out in the ocean. I've spent 18 years of my life in the ocean and it will always be my home.

Bogley BigShot
    Have you ever thought of how you are going to die!

I hate bra's! Now I have good support! (dumb joke I know)
    "I knew to steer clear of big sheets of metal and barbed-wire fences during a lightning storm, but I didn’t know to avoid my bra, too! It seems odd that one of your instincts should be to unhook and let the girls roam free when lightning strikes, but that’s exactly what two women who died in London should have done. According to the New York Times, they were struck and killed by lightning because of their underwire bras."

Cremation for sure, but I would like to donate as many body parts as I can. No point in good things going to waist

Gonna live forever...so far, so good.
    The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right. (Mark Twain)

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Advertising is ON it.

Name:  casket..jpg
Views: 569
Size:  35.4 KB

I have told my kids to take me out to the desert, push me off a trail and let the coyotes do the rest...the circle of life!
    go get lost, it is good for the soul

Science and cremation for me. Well, the latter is mandated by my religion.

I've said it for decades -- don't waste so much as a dollar you don't have to; if you can get away with Hefty bags, do it!

If cremation is cheapest then, do it; if it's dropping off the side of a ship.... The point is, I don't care -- I'll be gone, only my mortal clay will be left, and I don't want a fuss made over it. It's a waste, as is the whole funeral industry.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum