Thread: Moab hike recommendations?

Moab hike recommendations?

I am going down to Moab this weekend and taking my family with kids and a dog. What are some easy hikes that I can go on to take the dog and also easy for the kids?

I was thinking of hiking up Corona Arch and driving up to Gemini Bridges, anything else you guys can recommend? We might go to Fiery Furnace and have my wife stay by the car with the dog.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Is the Fiery Furnace open this time of year? I been wanting to hit that for a while, just haven't had time for our short trips down there. This year I will finally get it done!

I didn't know it ever closed? A few years back we did a canyoneer route through there in February. Just had to get the backcountry permit from the ranger station

Fisher Towers and Onion Creek should be nice.

Covert Arch is also worth checking out if you don't mind the drive. In early December we drove out to the winter camp ridge area and hiked out to covert then drove in the Arches back door to hiked out to Tower Arch for sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I didn't know it ever closed? A few years back we did a canyoneer route through there in February. Just had to get the backcountry permit from the ranger station
    we tired in Feb 2010 and it was closed due to snow
    so it just depends

A lot of the north facing trails still have snow and ice but the Portal Trail is clear, Negro Bill, Culvert Canyon or go out to Sand Flats and hike some of the Slickrock bike trail, all dog friendly.

Amasa Back Cliffhanger Trail down Kane Creek Road has gorgeous, wide-open views (another 1/4 mile or so down Kane Creek Rd takes you to Birthing Rock petroglyph site). The dirt road to get to it should be in great shape and you're only on it for something like less than a mile. If the 4X4 aren't out, Pritchett Canyon, also down Kane Creek Road just where the road turns from pavement to dirt, is a nice canyon with expansive views for the most part (but it'll cost you $2 per person). Fisher Towers is cool, but you gotta climb a few small ladders with your pooch, and you probably won't get any sun.
    The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right. (Mark Twain)

Corona Arch
    Fisher Towers
    Onion Creek.

All are dog and kid friendly.

Thanks guys, we might check out the Fisher towers. I am going with another family which are not much of hikers. So if we make 1/2 a mile it will be an achievement. I think Corona arch will be the longest hike we will do this weekend.

Blog Entries
    Hunter Canyon is a good choice too. Very easy. Nearly flat. And it ends at a spring fed pool which I've seen many dogs play inside...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

If you want real easy not far from the car stuff....

Birthing Scene Petroglyphs & Moonflower Canyon

Potash Road rock art plus Dino Tracks

Tusher Tunnel

Sego Canyon Rock art and ghost town. (this is a great ghost town, most have decayed a lot more then this one).

Shay Canyon Petroglyphs

Route information for all is found in the Family Fun section
    http://climb-utah.com/Moab/index.htm