Thread: Solid or Liquid in the Roost...Ice skates or neoprene?

Solid or Liquid in the Roost...Ice skates or neoprene?

Ok...Going canyoneering next week in Robber's Roost in some canyons that I hear are mostly dry and which I have done in the past finding them mostly dry...However...There is always the possibility so I am now obsessing over the weather (always a good thing when canyoneering). So what do ya'll think? If it has been consistently in single digit temperatures for two months at night and is getting up to 40's during the day, wouldn't you expect any water in the slots to be frozen? That was my experience in March in the Swell, but this is the Roost...Anyone want to take a crack at making a prediction? I am planning to bring the neoprene just in case, but boy do I want to avoid swimming in February...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My prediction is there will be water but it will be avoidable. In any case, let us know when you get back because I'm heading down president's day weekend.

Always plan for liquid... you seldom find all the potholes completely frozen over in a skinny slot canyon, even if the temperature is way below freezing.

My non-scientific reasoning for this is that the slots actually insulate the water from the extreme cold. Same reason the water in the slots is never warm, even in 100+ degree weather.

YMMV

Thanks for responding guys..will certainly plan for water..good though on the insulation factor...Maybe we'll start a polar bears club for canyoneers...This will be a trip that requires some scouting and rational thinking! That and a wetsuit just in case...Anyone who's been down there please let us know what the conditions are! Pray for high pressure!

One other item about slot canyons and winter weather. All things being equal.... You normally find less water in the slots in winter then any other time of the year. Again my non-scientific reasoning for this is that evaporation increases in winter because of the cold dry air.

YMMV

I have not been down this winter, but in the past I have found the Roost in the winter to be just like Iceaxe describes. Small, cold, unfrozen pools. We usually just go prepared to wade, with dry socks and polypro in the pack just in case we need to get dry and warm. If the temps are in the 50s-60s, this method works well.

However, if the temps are cold or if Larry Canyon is all full of water like it can be sometimes then the neoprene will be welcome!

Yep, that's the plan...Neoprene in the pack! Funny how one tends to obsess over these types of things...It has made turned me into an amateur weatherman...I think I may sleep in that old cowboy shack at the entrance to BlueJohn...looks creepy as hell but likely warmer than the tent...Can't freakin wait and it just seems to be warmer a little more every day down there...

Yeah, I'll be looking forward to your trip report. I'm starting to feel the need to get back down there myself. I wouldn't feel comfortable canyoneering with people that didn't take the weather seriously!

Oh the agony! What's up with this weather? SCrewing with my emotions! Still plan on the Roost unless weather turns really evil...Hiking horseshoe to get a feel for the weather, then maybe Three Canyon and Big Spring if conditions allow. Maybe down to North Wash if the roads to Roost are bad...If those don't work I guess we'll end up hiking in Moab or something. Anyone have any brilliant ideas for fun down there if the weather makes slot canyons a stupid idea?

White Roost was in good shape yesterday. About 4m of total water exposure-nuts deep on my stunted frame. Most of the area access was fine too, although obviously the present weather conditions will affect anything I've mentioned.

Great info thanks! We're going to have a look. Doesn't seem like it will dump too much.. Wetsuit? How frequent was the wading?

In normal conditions White Roost will require minor waist to chest deep wading. Staying dry is next to impossible at the last pool in normal conditions, but can usually be accomplished in the rest of the canyon with effort. Wet suits are not usually worn, but warm clothes to put on after the final pool are advisable.... YMMV....

Complete White Roost Beta Here

The problem is.... the final rappel normally drops you into a waist to chest deep pool as pictured below.

And you might have to do this in a couple other places in the upper canyon to stay dry

info for you all i did white root canyon on Sunday and it has 2 feet of water and some mud but not bad. and i think i run in to norternoutpost in the canyon and had fallowed his foot print's out and we was having to much fun we mist the exist.
    Last edited by rclimb; 02-15-2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: seening someone repliy

All things considered the conditions down there were not bad but with poor weather could be really bad. Robbers Roost is probably not a place for beginners at all without good leadership. Having been down there a good bit this kind of weather (snowy/rainy) seems like the worst as far as getting stuck, lost etc. IF you want to go into this area you had better know what you are doing and go prepared for all conditions. We were . The roads were mostly good and canyons held ice and water. You must be prepared for wading and cold if you go there right now. It will get better as things warm up. The weather over the weekend was kind of rainy and snowy bark was worse than bite. Still a good reminder that things could get very ugly in the Roost or that whole area in bad weather. We had lots of fun and feel fortunate to have gotten away with it in Feb. Caution and good decision making are the name of the game. Clear weather at this time of year down there would be a blast!

I was in the Roost the 17th through the 19th (last weekend). Had a beautiful day Friday in Bluejohn, went to High Spur Saturday. Steady light rain most of the day Saturday, but had a completely amazing time. Not to mention the desert full moon, which made our night hike Friday overlooking the orange cliffs of Millard Canyon especially, well, special.
    The road out Saturday night around Hans Flat was pretty treacherous with a couple inches of new snow on the road, but had no real problems. Followed it up with some incredible skiing Sunday and Monday in the Wasatch.
    Still a beginning canyoneer, but damn I love it! Thanks for all the great info.
    P.J.
    (and Trackrunner, I'd still love to get out with an experienced group and share your infinite wisdom :)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

17. Likes oldno7 liked this post