Thread: Don't know anything about pro-football

Don't know anything about pro-football

With all the talk around town about this Super Bowl thing, I have to admit that I don't know anything about pro-football. Recently I went mountaineering with a player from the NFL, but was clueless to that fact until we were nearly to the summit of the mountain (he was part of our climbing party of five-we had mutual friends).

After finding out that we were climbing with an NFL player, I was afraid to admit that I’ve never watched a football game before. Very nice fellow though.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well...who was it?
    Scot Osborne

It was the January 7-8 trip below:

http://www.summitpost.org/2011-trip-log/690759

Scot on the ridge:

Name:  690765..JPG
Views: 959
Size:  68.2 KB
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Scot Osborne

Cleveland Browns (2003-2005)
    Spent the most of the season on the practice squad... Browns looking at Osborne as an offensive lineman... Was signed to the active roster on 12/23/03 and was inactive for the season finale.

New Orleans Saints (2001, 2003)
    Put on weight and moved into the offensive line from tight end... Sent to NFL Europe by the Saints, where he worked on the conversion... Released at the end of training camp... Briefly on the Saints practice squad in 2001

Buffalo Bills (2001)
    Signed to the Bills active roster... Was inactive during all Bills games... Allocated to NFL Europe as a tight end, where he caught ten passes for 103 yards and three touchdowns.

Denver Broncos (2001)
    Briefly on the Broncos practice squad.

Seattle Seahawks (2000, 2001)
    Spent two training camps with Seattle, but was cut both years... Briefly attempted conversion to fullback.

College Experience
    William and Mary (1996-1999)
    Tight end for W&M his junior and senior years... Caught 16 passes for 130 yards and one touchdown as a junior, 8/121/1 as a senior.

Fairly well known? Sounds like he never actually played in a game?

Oh well...

Yea, the title of this post should be "I went mountaineering with a guy and didn't know he was, and neither does anyone else."...

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yea, the title of this post should be "I went mountaineering with a guy and didn't know he was, and neither does anyone else."...
    Man, that was cold!
    The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right. (Mark Twain)

Cold but funny...

Hey, Iceaxe, where did you come up with that data?

Ie, look up someone for me: Bob Womack Kansas City Chiefs

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Probably not this one:

Robert Dwayne "Bobby" Womack (pronounced /ˈwoʊm

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Cold but funny...

Hey, Iceaxe, where did you come up with that data?

Ie, look up someone for me: Bob Womack Kansas City Chiefs
    Scout.com was where I pulled up the info.

Almost nothing on Robert (Bob) Womack. I can only find a short reference to him playing on special teams in the NFL and it appears he was from Bozeman MT. Not even a mention of what teams he played for. So I assume maybe someone you know or once knew?

FWIW: Less than 2% of all college football players (D1, D2 & D3) will ever sign a professional contract to play at any level in any league. I don't have the exact number, but of that 2% less than half will ever actually play in an NFL game.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    So I assume maybe someone you know or once knew?
    Yeah, high school coach/teacher and wild feller. I worked a summer for him on his ranch. He was crazy. Used to work, no shirt, running shoes, and pair of goodwill polyester pants, running, cutting down brush with a chainsaw and screaming "two midgets and a chainsaw" at the top of his lungs. I see his kid is in hollywood. Unique guy, and, quite the influence on a young, impressionable mind.

Also played for Steve Okoniewski. Besides some guys who played pro football in Europe, that's pretty much the sum total of my contact with anyone who played pro sports.

Fairly well known?
    I think you're missing the entire point, my friend.

I seriously know nothing about pro-football, which is the title of this thread. The point was I didn't want to embarrass myself by admitting to an NFL player that I've never watched or listened to a game. By "fairly well know", I meant Google pulls up a bunch of results. He was a very nice guy, but it's hard to join a conversation on something you know nothing about, so I didn't know what to say (and didn't want to embarrass myself) when it came up.

Besides this one, the only football players I can even name are Joe Namuth [spelling?] (because he was on a Brady Bunch episode I watched at my cousin's house when I was a kid) and John Elway (because of Gerry Roach's mountaineering book and the car dealership).

Once a few years ago I was with a contractor who started a conversation about football with me because there was a big game going on. He was from Nebraska and asked me if I was rooting for Nebraska. Not knowing what to say I asked him "Why; are they playing the Broncos"? I just assumed he was asking me (someone living in Colorado) about rooting for Nebraska because they must be playing for the Broncos or something. I didn't know he was talking about some college team. I still get harassed about it at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I think you're missing the entire point, my friend.
    Nah, I think I get it...I barely knew who was in the stupor bowl...if it wasn't for the commercials, the fabulous rendition of the Star Mangled Banner, and, the sweet, sweet half time show (ha ha), I'd probably find a nice documentary on flowers or something.

You know what the "N" on Nebraska's helmet stands for?

"Knowledge".

Sounds funnier when you say it out loud. Heavy sigh...

I think I'll go back to worshipping my idol: Jimmer.

Nah, I think I get it...I barely knew who was in the stupor bowl...if it wasn't for the commercials, the fabulous rendition of the Star Mangled Banner, and, the sweet, sweet half time show (ha ha), I'd probably find a nice documentary on flowers or something.

"Knowledge".

"Knowledge".

X2. I hope you saw the jimmer thread in the sports section. I posted a Jimmer worship face book article and thread. If you haven't seen it you will appreciate it if not laugh at it like I did.
    Life is Good

What's a Jimmer?!?