Thread: Trying to plan a backpacking trip

Trying to plan a backpacking trip

Preferrably a loop, 2 nights and somewhat close to the St George area. Was thinking Kanab might not be too far. In Mid-April. Any ideas? Nothing technical, since I will have 2 boys and our non-technical friend. We've done Kolob Arch and could do it again if nothing else.
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Preferrably a loop, 2 nights and somewhat close to the St George area
    Perhaps define "somewhat close".

If you want a loop, here are a few ideas, but I don't know which ones you would consider to be "somewhat close":

Zion Area

CoalpitsWash-Scoggins or Huber Wash or Petrified Forest Trail: Coalpits makes a nice loop with any of the later three. I've only visited the area in winter (several times) and would guess that mid April might be getting a little warm. Upper Coalpits is the best part, so make sure to make it that far.

Canaan Mountain: Squirrel-Water Canyons make a nice short loop, but you can at least and extra day or two up there exploring on top. Don't miss Canaan Lake.

Upper Paria Area

Bull Valley Gorge-Sheep Creek-Willis Creek: Should be OK by mid April, but in some years it may have water (check conditions first). There is some scrambling, but nothing technical.

Old Paria-Hogeye-Sam Pollock Canyon-Hackberry-The Box: Some wading in the Paria, but it shouldn't be too bad in april. I've done it in early March. The route is pretty easy, but requires route finding. Nice side trips as well (such as Kitchen Falls and side forks of Upper Hogeye).

Escalante Area

Little Death Hollow-Horse Canyon-Silver Falls Creek: makes a nice loop in April, but if the river is high the overland route may be a better bet. If Little Death Hollow has too much scrambling for your taste, go down Wolvernine instead.

Coyote Gulch: You can do loop hikes here, but they will likely be crowded in April. The route out near Jacob Habin Arch is not recommended for those without scrambling experience, so use Hurricane Wash and Fortymile Ridge instead.

Fiftymile Mountain: If you have routefinding skills, there are many nice loops possible. Lots of cool stuff up there as well. Navajo Point has some of the best views in Utah.

Grand Canyon (all of these are farily close to St. George)

Tuckup Trail-Stairway Canyon: This is a nice loop, but mid April is already hot and the route is very rugged.

Parashant-Lone Mountain: The route is fairly easy, but requires route finding skills. Mid April may be quite hot, but the narrows should have a good amount of shade.

Surprise Canyon: One of my favorites and one of the best non-technical canyons around. The first and last days are quite tedious (but not difficult), so a three day trip might not be enough time to really enjoy the area. If you can find more time, it would be a really good one. Mid-April should be a great time to do this one.

Snake Gulch: This is another possibility, but I almost hesitate to suggest it as a multi day loop as the upper out and back hike is the best part.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I would say pine valley but mid-april might have snow at the top don't ya think?

I wasn't that lucky last may
    http://www.wildsurvive.com/outdoor-c...ic,4656.0.html

I want to get into backpacking this year but every time i head to pine valley I can't help but fish all day and all night until my feet get frostbite.

Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Thank you! I'm so excited to go. Sure appreciate your responses
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org