Thread: Recapture Canyon Ruins

Recapture Canyon Ruins

Will illegal Utah trail become legal?
    By Brandon Loomis
    The Salt Lake Tribune

A southeastern Utah ATV trail illegally built by two Blanding men may yet become a legitimate motorized route for people who want to view ancient cliff dwellings.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management is considering a San Juan County application for the right of way in Recapture Canyon.

Such a prospect outrages people who prefer to protect archaeological sites by keeping them remote. They can

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here is a GPS track of the trail and ruins for those interested.
    http://www.gpxchange.com/fileinfo/index.asp?ID=102625

Here is a video done by the pro ATV trail where you can have a glimpse of this canyon.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiJVuQCLguU

Philippe

"You're not lost...if you don't care where you are"
    Grand Gulch /Cedar Mesa Rock Art Hats

To learn more about the ruins of SE Utah:
    Visit Beyond Mesa Verde
    Visit Anasazi Ruins

I also found this video of interest....

I got to get in there and look around.

What gets me about the entire ordeal is that a friend showed me this trail (a good portion of it) in the mid 80's on Honda 3 wheelers, it was an established trail even then. Being so close to Blanding every inch of it has been hiked, ridden and enjoyed by me and hundreds of youngsters every since the area was settled.
    Opening it would give a great excuse to go back and reminisce.

Yeah, I was looking at some old topos and nearly the entire canyon is marked in roads. From what I could tell its the new section of trail that was constructed from the west canyon rim to the canyon floor that really got the Old Broads granny panties in a bunch.

Anyhoo....If we get to vote I cast my ballot for giving this one to the ATVer's.

The reasons being.... you have to share and give the ATVers something. The trail is already in, established and popular among the ATV crowd.

YMMV

I would rather have a "bunch" of Old Broads granny panties .......than a "bunch" of ATVer's...... in Recapture.
    "You're not lost...if you don't care where you are"
    Grand Gulch /Cedar Mesa Rock Art Hats

To learn more about the ruins of SE Utah:
    Visit Beyond Mesa Verde
    Visit Anasazi Ruins

Quote Originally Posted by Reddirtdawg View Post
    I would rather have a "bunch" of Old Broads granny panties .......than a "bunch" of ATVer's...... in Recapture.
    So my question to you would be.... what do the ATVer's get? anything? nothing?

The state of Utah has given ATVer's enough. Too much, IMO.

I think there are many places in Utah to ride ATV's. Acting like there is nothing for them is a bit like saying there is no place to ski. They don't need to access it all. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Yeah, I was looking at some old topos and nearly the entire canyon is marked in roads. From what I could tell its the new section of trail that was constructed from the west canyon rim to the canyon floor that really got the Old Broads granny panties in a bunch.
    Yep, that was there as well, we rode our 3 wheelers right out of the canyon and along the Brown's property line to a gate and out to the gravel road. The story I got when I asked about it was the road/trail at that spot went to a small coal deposit that was mined for a short time. That was probably 1987ish.

And all of you ATV haters can bite my

Yeah, I was looking at some old topos and nearly the entire canyon is marked in roads.
    Shane, which maps are you looking at?

As far as I know, I have all the topos of Recapture Creek dating back to 1935 (the old maps are one of my prized possesions, in several parts of CO and UT I have the ones dating back to 1906 and have found some cool stuff using the maps). The versions I have date from the 1930's, 1950's and 1980's. I'd be interested in seeing any more old ones that might exist.

I don't know where the new ATV trail is in Recapture Creek is (I haven't been to Recapture for many years), but according to all the maps I have (I'd be curious to know which ones you have though), there are (or were) several sections that didn't have a road and other sections that do (or did).

From what I could tell its the new section of trail that was constructed from the west canyon rim to the canyon floor that really got the Old Broads granny panties in a bunch
    I believe one reason is because the new trail goes right through an archeolgical site and the Navajo's and Hopi's are quite upset about the route. As mentioned though, I haven't seen the new route (and frankly don't know that much about it's location).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Fourtycal:
    I certainly don't hate you and the very last thing I am going to do is kiss your ass. The only issue here is the State of Utah taking an illegal road, according to federal law, and petitioning the federal government for ownership of the land using an old law that was reinstated by W Bush. Utah has abused this process so many times for so long. Enough. You have plenty of room for your machine elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gnwatts View Post
    Fourtycal:
    I certainly don't hate you and the very last thing I am going to do is kiss your ass. The only issue here is the State of Utah taking an illegal road, according to federal law, and petitioning the federal government for ownership of the land using an old law that was reinstated by W Bush. Utah has abused this process so many times for so long. Enough. You have plenty of room for your machine elsewhere.
    I appreciate that the few times a year that I take my Machine out I quite enjoy it. There are plenty of roads to ride an ATV, no way I will ever see them all but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like another ride into recapture to revisit fond memories. I applaud Utah for listening to the pleas of the majority and petitioning the federal government on our behalf.

Hello,

It doesn't appear that the GPX file for Recapture that you posted back in March 2005 is still working. Or am I doing something wrong??

Many thanks,

Stephanie

It appears the page no longer exists.