Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dynadoubleclip (dynamic version of the spegelyca)

The Dynadoubleclip (dynamic version of the spegelyca)

So we tried some of these in canyons at the end of last season and fell in love so we immediately started selling them at Outnback. It is a safety tether made by Beal in a similar configuration as the Spegelyca only made out of dynamic rope. I think we have all been thinking that this was a necessity for a long time and finally a company did it. One thing I loved is that you can girth hitch it to your harness and that lowers the bulk around the belay loop. It is good for all of the conventional uses of the spegelyca but its dynamic nature adds some safety. Its lengths are similar to the petzl just a little longer so its likely that most will want to shorten the short end. Anybody else out there used these in canyons yet?
    Name:  NEW_DYNADOUBCLIP..jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  14.9 KB
    I've never been lost...just really confused for a couple of days.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strieby View Post
    So we tried some of these in canyons at the end of last season and fell in love so we immediately started selling them at Outnback. It is a safety tether made by Beal in a similar configuration as the Spegelyca only made out of dynamic rope. I think we have all been thinking that this was a necessity for a long time and finally a company did it. One thing I loved is that you can girth hitch it to your harness and that lowers the bulk around the belay loop. It is good for all of the conventional uses of the spegelyca but its dynamic nature adds some safety. Its lengths are similar to the petzl just a little longer so its likely that most will want to shorten the short end. Anybody else out there used these in canyons yet?
    Name:  NEW_DYNADOUBCLIP..jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  14.9 KB
    Do they make any claims about its dynamic properties? Do they provide some data to back it up?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Do they make any claims about its dynamic properties? Do they provide some data to back it up?

Tom
    Here are the specs on it.
    http://www.bealplanet.com/notices/20...clip/index.php

Name:  tableau_Longes_US&#.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  27.1 KB
    I've never been lost...just really confused for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Strieby View Post
    Interesting. Too bad they don't say anything about how the test was performed, which would make the data have some value. Details of dynamic testing make a huge difference in how the results come out, which is why most things are tested to a standard.

Here is probably the most important bit on the website:

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So don't use it for a via ferrata.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Quote Originally Posted by rcwild View Post
    So don't use it for a via ferrata.
    Or absorbing energy.

Tom

All of our ropes, webbing, etc. absorb energy. Just a question of how much. Beal says this lanyard will not absorb enough energy to be used on via ferratas (where fall factors can be 5, 10 and higher). It is made with a length of their dynamic climbing rope, so it will absorb energy. From their comparison chart: OK for fall factor 1. Caution advised for fall factor 2.

Same issue that led Petzl to change the name of the Energyca to Spelegyca. It will absorb energy. But not the kind of energy that can be created by taking a fall on a via ferrata.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    The key here, for any tether, in a canyoneering scenario, is to "try" to avoid the situations that lead to shock loading any device.
    I think more emphasis should be placed on proper technique with any lanyard rather than the type of lanyard used.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    The key here, for any tether, in a canyoneering scenario, is to "try" to avoid the situations that lead to shock loading any device.
    I think more emphasis should be placed on proper technique with any lanyard rather than the type of lanyard used.
    Very good point, Kurt. If we stay below our anchor, we won't set ourselves up for anything beyond fall factor 1. Well within the "intelligent use range" for most lanyards. Get above your anchor and you expose yourself to a fall factor up to 2. In this case, be sure to use a dynamic tether. Lanyards used for via ferratas, fall arrest systems, etc. that expose the user to fall factors above 2 require something with the ability to absorb much more energy.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor

Speaking of Via-Ferrata and lanyards this one is in Kanab Utah. Have fun.

Where/what is this place? Looks like fun!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

I think its at the cave lakes resort over by Kanab

Ya it's at Cave Lakes. Seldom Seen Adventures is the guide service to contact about trips.

Call me old-fashioned, but this stuff seems a bit overkill for the task at hand. How complicated and cumbersome must we make a canyon descent?

Just buy four feet of 9/16" for a dollar and tie the middle of it to your harness with a water knot (disclaimer: I do use a harness with a steel D-ring) and trim the two ends to your desired length. Tie overhand knots at the end of each lanyard snug around your favorite carabiners. This setup works great for lanyards, ascending, assisted rappels, pick-offs, balancier, guided rappels, hanging packs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Thanks Tom.

Felicia
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

yeah my favorite is to use a daisy chain as a lanyard this way i can adjust each achor point and make sure that i don't have slack in the line while i am guiding people over the edge. or also while i am just setting up the rap. just my preferd method.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru View Post
    yeah my favorite is to use a daisy chain as a lanyard this way i can adjust each achor point and make sure that i don't have slack in the line while i am guiding people over the edge. or also while i am just setting up the rap. just my preferd method.

http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/...conundrum.html

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...-en-glbl-en-us

Purcell Prusik for a Safety Tether

Has anyone used one of these?

http://www.bluugnome.com/cyn_how-to/...ik-tether.aspx

Name:  PurcellPrusikTetehr.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  102.2 KB