Thread: End of Feb+13yo+San Rafael Swell =

End of Feb+13yo+San Rafael Swell =

?

As part of my sons birthday we're going on an extended hiking/camping trip together. He's expressed some interest in the SRS area. We'd have half of Thurs, all of Friday, and half of Saturday.

What would you hit, and why? We're coming down Hwy 10 through Ferron and then over, so we're thinking of hitting the Rochester panel, poke around the Moore Cutoff road some, and then ... ???

Would it be worth it to camp at Goblin Valley and just spend the time exploring the canyons in that area? LWH/Bell, Crack, Ding/Dang, Cistern etc...

I haven't spent a ton of time in that area so I'm looking for help from the experts!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by mhambi View Post
    Would it be worth it to camp at Goblin Valley and just spend the time exploring the canyons in that area? LWH/Bell, Crack, Ding/Dang, Cistern etc...
    This is exactly what I would do. If you're coming over I-70 from UT-10, there's really not a lot of good hiking to be done until you get all the way across the Swell and into the San Rafael Reef area. Goblin Valley is an ideal base camp for exploring the southern Reef, or there are several good primitive camp spots between Goblin Valley and the LWHC trailhead. There are also a few nice spots just off the Temple Mountain Road west of the junction with the Goblin Valley Road.
    Blog | FB

Way to go dad. Spend as much time with that boy as possible. Keep him close. With a little driving from the Goblin Valley side, the Reds canyon loop is fun with mines to explore. If you haven't been to Goblin Valley and Little Wild Horse, those are always fun for young boys. Go prepared for the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    This is exactly what I would do. If you're coming over I-70 from UT-10, there's really not a lot of good hiking to be done until you get all the way across the Swell and into the San Rafael Reef area. Goblin Valley is an ideal base camp for exploring the southern Reef, or there are several good primitive camp spots between Goblin Valley and the LWHC trailhead. There are also a few nice spots just off the Temple Mountain Road west of the junction with the Goblin Valley Road.

It looks like this will be the plan. You wouldn't happen to have google earth coords for the primitive camping spots along LWHC road would you? Or are the spots really obvious when you get there...

We're both pretty stoked for this trip.

With kids both Little Wild Horse and Goblin Valley are MUST SEE.

Kids also really like Wild Horse Window, which is just down the road from Goblin Valley.

I'd do those first and then see what else the kid wants to do. Ding-Dang is a step up from LWH. Hurst Bridge with or without the side trip to Exclaimation Bridge is a nice hike. Crack Canyon is about like LWH in terms of difficulty, Crack is not one of my fovorites but my kids really like it for some reason.

A word of advice if you haven't done a lot of hiking with your kid.... Don't over do it and wear him out... leave him wanting more if you want him to beg to go again.

You wouldn't happen to have google earth coords for the primitive camping spots along LWHC road would you? Or are the spots really obvious when you get there...
    There are several spots along the road at the coords that PolarXJ gave (my favorite being at 38
    Blog | FB

Cool... I appreciate everybody's help.

Would it be possible to take exit 131 from I-70 and wander south down to Temple Mountain this time of year (road condition-wise)?

Would it be possible to take exit 131 from I-70 and wander south down to Temple Mountain this time of year (road condition-wise)?
    I'd imagine you'd be fine on that road unless there was recent heavy rain or snow, and even then 4WD would probably be sufficient to see you through. Emery County is pretty good at keeping main roads like that one clear throughout the winter.
    Blog | FB

The road can turn into a major mud bog with rain or melting snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The road can turn into a major mud bog with rain or melting snow.
    QFE

I drove from 131 to Temple Mountain on Thursday. It was in good shape on either end but the miles in between were really nasty. I was sliding all over the place in my Tacoma with brand new BFG A/T's. Not recommended if it's wet.

Just a quick note to let everybody know that the trip was a success! We were there from the 27th (Sun) to the 2nd (Wed). I'll post a trip report once I get my pictures processed, but we had a great time.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions and help.

FWIW - we didn't drive the 131 to temple mtn route. Sounds like that was the right call.

Sunday:Arrived, set up camp, slept
    Monday:Wild Horse Window, and explorations in area. Goblin Valley and bow shooting in the afternoon
    Tuesday:Quick trip to Hanksville for supplies. Little Wildhorse/Bell loop. Bad knee makes guest appearance. Explored area around campsite. More archery
    Wednesday: Back to WHW area for some rappelling... anyone know who's bolts those are at the head of the string of potholes? Pack up and head home w/ stops along the Moore Cutoff area/Molen Reef for petroglyph hunting.