Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick 3 day trip through Page/Kanab/Vegas

... beautiful pictures and colors.
    I love this area and the surroundings.
    Mexican called Escobar's I believe
    That's right - homemade mexican cuisine.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So, I've slacked on finishing up this report/photos, and there was just a half day at Valley of Fire.
    I had seen a good bit of the VofF last September, though it was 100 degrees and we didn't wander around too much (we just stopped by on our way to Page from Vegas). We had wanted to see the 'Fire Wave' but the only directions I found were in german, and the translation was bad! As it turned out, we were probably 100 yards from it, and found some other cool stuff to shoot, but the light wasn't good (mid day) and it was so dang hot, that we packed up and headed east. This time, we got there around mid day, and I wanted to show my bud some of the cool sights, with the idea of finding the 'Fire Wave' before sundown, and then shooting it right after the sun set. The photos will show what we saw, but the real adventure came after we found the fire wave, and I set up my tripod, and wanted to relax for a bit and watch the sun set. Rob decided he wanted to wander around and check out some of the beautiful stuff in the area. I told him to just make sure he got back before it got too dark so we could head back to the car.

Long story short, as the sun set, and as I got some decent images, I hadn't seen/heard from Rob yet, and I was beginning to worry. Over the previous half hour, I had occasionally ran up to the top of a big rock and seen him wandering around, taking photos, etc. Well, I couldn't see him any more, and I shouted for him a few times, with no response. If any of you have been in that area, I ran down to the wash lined with rocks, and ran about a quarter mile away from the road and didn't see/hear anything. With it starting to get dark, I was getting a little worried that he was either lost, or worse, hurt. Our cell phones worked in the park, but not where we were. I packed up my gear and ran up the rocks back to the road with the intention of, as soon as I got a signal, calling someone for help. Well, as soon as I got to the road, my phone buzzed and I had a voice mail message. Thankfully it was from Rob, who said he was back on the road and heading back to the car. I was relieved and angry at the same time (he's a Dr., very smart, but not always... very smart). Turned out, he overshot where we were and ended up back on the road, and did the right thing, went back to the car. Thankfully he was fine, and we got out of there before they closed the road (to the White Domes trail).... Thats the short story version!

We drove back to Vegas, had a nice dinner, hung out at the top of the Stratosphere (where we stayed) and flew home in the morning... Here are the rest of the photos from the trip.

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images                

And the last set. Thanks for checking them out!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Excellent photos.
    Thank you!

Great photos from the VoF.

Great pics and TR. I'm taking off next week for a trip in southern utah. I read the first paragraph of your first post and found it very helpful for my upcoming trip. I had checked the BLM website about coyote butte permits and totally missed the part about the walk-up permits. No time for the lottery. I guess I didn't read down far enough. I have to pickup my permit for buckskin gulch at the paria ranger station anyway so now i will also try for a walk-up for coyote butte as well.

Nice call on going to valley of fire. so many people come out here to las vegas and never go. lots of people around here have never even heard of it. if anyone is planning a trip to las vegas valley of fire is a must see.

Camped there last week and took these pics:

oh wow, missed your reply (months ago), max, sweet shots, that first one, I was trying to find somewhere to get something like that, but it was too early when we were in the area, and the light was too harsh. Nice capture!

What an awesome trip! Your got some amazing shots.

Quote Originally Posted by pixie1339 View Post
    What an awesome trip! Your got some amazing shots.
    Thank you, I can't wait to get out there again!