Thread: Rocky Sea Pass to Cyclone Pass

Rocky Sea Pass to Cyclone Pass

Hey, all. I'm a newbie on this site. These forums contain alot expertise with the Uinta range.

I'm mulling a trip there this August, and would like to hike high for the vistas. Just looking at the map, it appears as if some of the ridgelines might be hikable peak to peak:

Hayden to Agassiz to Spread Eagle to Rocky Sea to Cyclone, for example. Not that this would be a one day hike, or even a single hike, but does anyone know whether it could be hiked/scrambled without ropes?

Or whether there would be any similar peak to peak or ridge hiking opportunities in the range?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've gone over the saddle between Hayden & Mt Agassiz a few times to get to the fishing in the basin on the other side.

The ridgelines might be hikeable. There are some small cliff lines that won't show up on most topos. There'd be quite a few variables- your comfort level with the potential penalty factor, routefinding ability, snow levels, etc.

You could check over on summitpost.org to see if there's anything there.

The big problem I see is the potential for miles of huge boulders making travel very dangerous and slow. I'd love to hear how it goes though. It would be awesome to stay high for that long. Weather up there could make it tricky though, you'd really have to hammer it out in the AM before those afternoon storms roll in.

Here's a pic from the Rock Creek side of Rocky Sea Pass looking south towards the direction of Cyclone Pass.

Name:  STE_0929..jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  97.3 KB

Hayden to Agassiz to Spread Eagle to Rocky Sea to Cyclone, for example. Not that this would be a one day hike, or even a single hike, but does anyone know whether it could be hiked/scrambled without ropes?
    Yes; it can be done without ropes. I've done all those ridgelines (mostly piece by piece rather than all at once) and never used a rope.

The ridgeline Hayden to Agassiz is very rugged near Hayden Peak. It's been several years (scattered trips between June 1990 to August 13 2000 is when I did these routes), but from what I remember, there are a few bypasses and a crack you must climb down. There is some exposure and loose rock, but you can keep the difficulty down by traversing below the ridge at the most rugged spots. Away from Hayden the route over Agassiz is easy, but with boulderhopping as is the route to the top of Spread Eagle.

The ridge between Spread Eagle and Ostler is very slow and rugged, but it sounds like you are wanting to turn south towards Rocky Sea Pass. That ridge is rugged not far south of Spread Eagle, but once you pass the (fairly long) rugged section, it's just boulderhopping to Rocky Sea Pass. The section of the ridge between Rocky Sea Pass and Cyclone Pass has much boulderhopping, but no exposure or difficulty.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Wow. Thanks guys. This is really helpful info.