Thread: need guidebook advice

need guidebook advice

which grand canyon guide book has the most information on the different trails. i know there are several out there. i am not interested in the main corridor trails. looking for info on the more remote and technical routes.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

when do you need it by?

Bogley BigShot
    Have you done South Canyon? I love that one!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    The book that you are looking for is in the planning/writting stages. maybe you can beta test it for the authors.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    when do you need it by?
    @CarpeyBiggs i'm just sitting here in new zealand dreaming about where i would like to go. libraries here are a little light on southwest books. so, it's not an urgent thing. just want to do some reading.

@tanya south canyon does look good. a loop down to nankoweap would be cool.

@trackrunner i probably need to be a little closer to the canyon to beta test.

well, if you can get any of the old harvey butchart books, those are the real gems. think there were 3 in the set. tyler williams did a guide as well, but i haven't ever seen it or read it.

but as trackrunner said, todd martin is writing a book right now that will detail some pretty impressive loops, many of which will involve technical canyons, but some will be nontechnical. won't be out until later this year though, likely april or later.

looking for info on the more remote and technical routes.
    This one:

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Grand-C...6624904&sr=8-1

All the loop hikes are mostly off trail, but very scenic and remote.

This one has lots of good stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Canyon-T...6624963&sr=1-1

A warning though, Butchart's books are vague (think of a more extreme version of Kelsey's books) and you must do routefinding.

Kelsey's Colorado Plateau book also has a sampling of more rugged routes.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I've got the Butchart books. They are extremely terse! I have a pair of books by George Steck called "GC Loop Hikes" I & II. Can't seem to find my vol I right now. But they are pretty interesting and definitely have stuff that's pretty far away from the main trails. Here's a link on Amazon to some used copies:

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Canyon-L.../dp/0934641196
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    A warning though, Butchart's books are vague (think of a more extreme version of Kelsey's books) and you must do routefinding.
    yea butchart is more than vague for sure. somewhere along the way i have found 4 volumes of his original hiking logs as well as escapes and water sources online, and his hiking maps. was just trying to locate where i got them but can't seem to duplicate my efforts. to say his achievement is impressive is an understatement.

FYI:

I have a pair of books by George Steck called "GC Loop Hikes" I & II. Can't seem to find my vol I right now. But they are pretty interesting and definitely have stuff that's pretty far away from the main trails.
    The first book I linked above is the GC Loop Hikes 1 & 2 combined into a single book. The hiking descriptions are exactly the same, but photos were added and a few stories omitted.

well, if you can get any of the old harvey butchart books, those are the real gems. think there were 3 in the set.
    The second link in my post is Butchart's 3 volumes combined into one book, with added photos and sketch maps. The text is a copy of the three previous volumes.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

i am not interested in the main corridor trails. looking for info on the more remote and technical routes.
    PS, here is a route for you:

http://www.summitpost.org/on-the-edg...f-death/402562

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    indeed, that looks like a fun route.

Maybe you've already visited the following forum, but if not, might be worth a look/see. Over the years I've found useful info and stimulating discussion there:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grand_...guid=281394054

Quote Originally Posted by erial View Post
    Maybe you've already visited the following forum, but if not, might be worth a look/see. Over the years I've found useful info and stimulating discussion there:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Grand_...guid=281394054
    saw that, thanks.