Thread: Fish Lake Saturday

Fish Lake Saturday

Holdsworth and I took off while it was still dark and arrived to daylight and many packed parking areas. Once we got on the ice, we met up with a guy from another forum to say hello, then it was time to get busy drilling.

The ice was plenty thick, but very clear in many areas, with really cool patterns that almost resembled some form of alien calligraphy. Pretty neat.

For Holdsworth and I, it was tough fishing all day. Drilling through the thick ice (around 14") was difficult with a hand auger, especially with the super slick ice. While drilling, I ended up twisting myself around the auger quite often, instead of gaining ground on the hole. That was enough to limit our movement to only a few different spots.

Holdsworth was the first to score, pulling up a 16 inch splake, which also marked his first for the species.

Quite awhile later, I finally connected and reeled up a 16 inch rainbow.

Unfortunately, those were our only fish for the day. Just like my only other fishing experience at Fish Lake (ice '08), I only got 1 rainbow. Oh well. We definitely could've used a power auger. Fishing a different area, we believe, would've been much more productive. We felt somewhat obligated to stay close to the guy we met up with, otherwise we would've been somewhere else to begin with.

We packed up our gear and left, giving us about an hour and a half of sunlight left. We spent that time getting a heaping serving of SKUNK at the Koosh. Rough day!

It was still good to take a long drive, meet up with saturnguy and his buddies, and see that part of Utah that I love so much.

Happy Fishing, Humans.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sorry about the slow day! But at least you got out. That ice looks pretty cool.
    Better luck next time.

The ice alone would be worth going out there to me. Looks awesome.

Are those breathable waders that you have on ? I have thought about wearing them on days when the slush is bad on top of the ice. You are gauranteed to stay warm and dry.

No, those are my pvc waders from Cabelas. They're my old pair, but I love the lug sole boot-in design for ice fishing. Never a problem to get slushed by the hole. As long as I layer underneath, I never get too cold.

My breathables wouldn't work out so well, since the only shoes I have that fit over the neoprene stocking are a pair of sandal type shoes and I'd freeze my toes off.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Headed to Fish Lake in the morning. Heres to hoping that this outing is better than my outing to Scofield. Will have the 5 year old this time and hope to hook into a whole lota Perch as I have never had Perch and will be looking for a great recipe. Fish Tacos???