Thread: Cave near Blind Hollow, Logan Canyon

Cave near Blind Hollow, Logan Canyon

Has anyone heard of a cave near Blind Hollow in Logan Canyon? The story i heard was this guys dad discovered a sink hole cave somewhere in the area. He said the entrance hole was 20 feet in diameter and the entrance rap was 400 feet. Im not sure how realistic this is but im still really curious if anyone has heard of a cave in that area that fits the description. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Neilson's Well. I believe this is what you are looking for:

http://www.caves.org/grotto/timpgrot...n-History.html

I've never been there myself, but I have a buddy who has been there and descended the cave a couple of times. He says it is deep and very challenging (not for the faint of heart). Apparently it is not too far off the beaten path, but somewhat challenging to find.

There is another very large cave up closer to Tony Grove called The Main Drain. Again from what I have heard, it's another very long and challenging cave. As of a few years back it was Utah's deepest cave. http://www.cavediggers.com/Depth.pdf

Main Drain is 11th deepest in the nation, and deepest in Utah. There are a number of deep ones in the area.
    http://utahcaves.blogspot.com/2008/08/main-drain.html

Neilson's well is off of Blind Hollow. The entrance is one of the biggest vertical cave entrances I've seen - I have taken people on hikes just to see it.

As someone who has bottomed out both neilson's and the main drain, I would say that as far as getting to the bottom, neilsons is by far the harder of the two caves. MD is of interest, though, because neilsons has been explored pretty thoroughly, and MD has leads that have never been touched.

The entrance to neilsons is a little over 300 feet, and it corkscrews at the top, making it hard to really see in. Because of the corkscrew, you have ~100 feet of wall rappelling followed by ~200 feet of freefall. the freefall is into a HUGE underground room. Most large caverns in Logan are karst formations, and are formed in vertical shafts. this is the exception - about an acre of "floorspace" with a huge ceiling.

I have to plug that almost all of my worst caving accidents/mistakes have occured in this cave, and anyone who is less experienced and considering pushing past the big room should AT LEAST talk to someone who has done it, if not take them along. And truth be told, you'll probably need their advice on finding the entrance in the first place.