Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on this bike...Trek Fuel EX 8

Opinions on this bike...Trek Fuel EX 8

I've been watching craigslist and ksl for a LONG time for a full suspension bike that will actually fit me. I haven't been out to try this one for size, but its the first XL frame size on a decent bike that I've seen in MONTHS.

All the reviews I've read make it sound like a great option for me, not looking for a downhill king, but a more versatile XC bike than my hardtail.

http://stgeorge.craigslist.org/bik/2170937640.html

Anyone out there have personal experience with this, or just want to give their opinion?

I'm hoping to get out there and take it on a trail before I make any final decision and try to negotiate price, but the owner is a wilderness guide or something so his girlfriend who has the listing email can't do the negotiating etc since she isn't sure what his thoughts are.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's a good price. That bike is pretty good as an XC/light all-mountain bike. I'd consider it a good bike. You will notice a world of difference on descents compared to your hardtail.

Perfect bike for your needs, dont pass it up treks are great bikes.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

that looks like a great deal, it looks like an enduro, it's going to be a great XC bike that can handle all mountain riding.

thats something i'd like to have if i had the money but i'm still trying to find a kona stinky or yeti 575
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Dave...I knew you'd find this thread...but I was expecting something like..."Why buy a new bike when your lazy butt hasn't been riding the one you have!?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kent K25 View Post
    Dave...I knew you'd find this thread...but I was expecting something like..."Why buy a new bike when your lazy butt hasn't been riding the one you have!?!"
    I was thinking about saying that but I'm not sure if that would have been true.... you could have been riding your bike to all the basketball games, so in that case you would have been riding a lot more than I have.

I guess I will remain the only real man here by riding my hardtail!

or should I say, I can't afford any mountain bike no matter what the price. I've passed up a few kona stinky's and yeti's where if I had the money I would have bought them.

Appears to be a decent deal. Since it's 'lived' in St. George, make sure the desert terrain hasn't beaten the crap out of it. On an XL size, make sure to carefully inspect the frame for cracking where the seat post meets the top tube. Us taller guys have to have the seat post near it's limit and, as I've learned from experience, it can cause problems. With 29'rs pretty much taking over the new bike market there should be some very good deals on 26'rs. Try spinning your negotiations that way.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Appears to be a decent deal. Since it's 'lived' in St. George, make sure the desert terrain hasn't beaten the crap out of it. On an XL size, make sure to carefully inspect the frame for cracking where the seat post meets the top tube. Us taller guys have to have the seat post near it's limit and, as I've learned from experience, it can cause problems. With 29'rs pretty much taking over the new bike market there should be some very good deals on 26'rs. Try spinning your negotiations that way.
    Don't let redfox here you say that, he argued with me that 29'rs will never make it and are just a gimmick..LOL. you must have missed that thread!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Thanks tallsteve...I'd be interested in a 29er except I'm a biker on a budget and to get a nicer bike I'm going to have to go with a 26er to stay in my price range. Maybe a few years down the road I can pick up a 29er from someone looking to upgrade.

Live2ride, You should read my posts more carefully. I never said that the 29 ers were a gimmick. They are unique and they require specific sized components. In my earlier posts I was simply giving my opinion. If I wanted to have an arguement it would be face to face. My opinion was and still is for a person buying their first bike go with something more common. I would recommend a 29 er to someone 6' or taller mainly because their aren't very many manufacturers that offer frames in xl. I would not recommend a Harley or a ducati to someone looking to buy their first motorcycle unless of course money is no object.

I rode this bike at the outdoor demo at Bootleg Canyon last fall - really an amazing bike. I was riding platform (w/o clips) and with only a few minor adjustments I was trail ready. It climbs like a goat and bombing down I passed through a nasty rock garden with some decent drops (3'-4') and had no problem whatsoever. It handled smoothly once I got used to the shifting. All in all a worthy ride!

Looks like he is firm on price at $1000. Those with more knowledge and buying experience, would you pull the trigger at that price?

it has Hydraulic Disc Brakes, and $350 wheelset.

for what this bike has $1000 is cheap. as long as the chain and gears are in good shape, and no leaky shocks then go for it.... if not i may have to find some stuff to pawn so i can go buy it before you.

do what tallsteve said... just make sure it's not beat to hell.

Looks like a great deal to me. IMO this bike could sell for $1500.

The fork and rear shock would cost you close to 1000.00 new. If they are in good shape and the frame has no cracks, than this would be a good deal. Seems like there are always good deals out there if you decide to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    The fork and rear shock would cost you close to 1000.00 new. If they are in good shape and the frame has no cracks, than this would be a good deal. Seems like there are always good deals out there if you decide to wait.
    Agreed - quite the steal at $1000.

Thanks everyone for the bid of confidence, even as a good deal $1000 is a lot for me to spend. Finally got a hold of the actual owner and got more info. Sounds like it is in great shape. Pending a trial ride for size (and thorough overview for damage, etc) I should be picking this up when he is back in town on Saturday.

Oh, and an added bonus. It's actually a 2009, not 2008.

Wow....just got the following email....

"Friend of a friend decided he`had the money and bought the bike last night.
    However, if you went over to Zion Cycles Freddie might have something for you. He treats locals very well."

I told him on Tuesday that I would buy it on Saturday (he was out of town so we couldn't meet any sooner). He said that would be great...am I wrong to think what he did was wrong?

Guess I'll watch the ads for another year and hope something pops up in my size again.

Hmmm.. I have this bike I love, do I sell it to some stranger on the internet trying to lowball me, or a friend of a friend?

Easy decision IMO. But I hope you find a bike some day man!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

This stranger committed to buy it for the full listed price. The dishonest seller committed to holding it since he was the one who couldn't meet sooner.
    If that's an easy decision, being dishonest and shady, then I'm glad you and I are strangers.