Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Education Impacts Your Job & Income (Graphic)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    Facebooked.
    It's a hit

I 'capped out' in two different careers before I got to where I am today, meaning I went as high as anyone in the fields with or without a degree could go. Both times I was put in a position that I had to make a life changing decision. A degree would have got me in the door sort of speaking but each time I had enough other qualifications to get me the job anyway. A degree(s) is vitally important but it is not the end all be all. I highly recommended my children to get a higher education and they have and are doing just that simply because, as I've told them and as they've learned, employers look for higher education as proof that you can set goals and achieve them....' here's my paper to prove it' mentality. I've also told them that it has taken me many more years of work to achieve what they see and it could have taken less time with a degree in my pocket. I have more 'certificates' in each field I worked in than I can count and no degree. No one cares at all about certificates or training that doesnt have a degree attached to it so be prepared to work your arse off 'round the clock for decades if needed to be successful in whatever you decide to do. ...i'm off my rant now
    Oh BTW the 'last' position I put in for out at work was for an HR position of which I had more than 10 years hands on experience. The guy who got the position had no experience whatsoever in HR and ten years less time on the same job. He got the position because he had a degree. In animal husbandry. Go figure.

I have a question for you guys...
    Last August I finished my BS in business mgmt and I can't find a job for anything. I understand the economy sucks and my degree is a dime a dozen. For every job out there, there is 300 applicants. So in the mean time I am trying to expand my resume by taking on a new skill and maybe degree.
    Finally, the question... If you were to go back and learn a new skill or pick up a new degree what would it be?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpb View Post
    Last August I finished my BS in business mgmt and I can't find a job for anything. I understand the economy sucks and my degree is a dime a dozen. For every job out there, there is 300 applicants. So in the mean time I am trying to expand my resume by taking on a new skill and maybe degree.
    Finally, the question... If you were to go back and learn a new skill or pick up a new degree what would it be?
    Chinese.

no, really, I'm serious. Spanish is useful but it doesn't help the paycheck. Being able to speak Chinese is really difficult, and is and will be of great benefit to many employers. This is a very hard time to be out looking for a job - might as well stay in school if you can swing it.

Tom J

Having a toolbox full of tools is great.... but you still have to know what you are building before you begin.

Without knowing where you want to go with your career the question is hard to answer. It's like asking "what's the best car?"... and the answer is "it depends".

First thing I'd do is look at the careers with a shortage of personal... And right now the medical/health care industry is projected to have the large shortage of employees. So my question would be how do I fill out my current degree to enter my chosen field?

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Pointy-haired???
    You never read Dilbert?
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

It's like asking "what's the best car?"... and the answer is "it depends".
    Question asked to a cannibal: What do old people taste like?

A: "Depends".
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Question asked to a cannibal: What do old people taste like?

A: "Depends".

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    You gain your education when you are young in life to establish a strong foundation from which to launch a career.

The stronger your foundation the better chance of success. That doesn't mean you can't become a success starting with a small foundation and it doesn't mean a strong foundation guarantees success.

But anyone that doesn't believe a good education increases your chances in life is an idiot.

or as I prefer to teach it to my kids.... Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

I refer to it as "The Law of Sacrifice". You can give something up now or later, but you're gonna have to give something up. I prefer to pick my sacrifice now, instead of having it forced upon me later.

Another way to look at it is when you're young it's best to make choices that lead to the most options/opportunities, that way you can maximize the ones you get.

Another thing- When you are in school, find a part time job in the industry you want to work in. Education gets you an interview, but added experience gets you the job.

I'd go to Barnetts Bicycle Institute and get my engineering degree

Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker View Post
    I'd go to Barnetts Bicycle Institute and get my engineering degree
    1 month and $5,000 later you could start your own shop!

As you said, there are a ton of BSs out there. BS is a new High School diploma. You got to make yourself unique and different. Spending another 2 years and getting MBA or Master of Science would do the trick. About 65% of people don't work in the field of their BS. But about 85% of people work in the field of their Masters program.

1 month and $5,000 later you could start your own shop!
    I wonder if they count already having a bikeshop for 8 years towards the degree

Last August I finished my BS in business mgmt and I can't find a job for anything.
    I have a B.S. in Sales, and I'm a Computer Tech for a school district.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    BS is a new High School diploma.
    Disagree.

I do agree that the number of people with a Bachelors Degree is rising. However, the number of people with even a BS/BA is still under 30%.

Name:  Educational_attai&.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  213.9 KB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educati...nal_attainment

Or you could skip the education and just be taller than average.

Name:  080910heightmatte&.gif
Views: 150
Size:  15.1 KB

http://www.gallup.com/poll/110167/ta...e-happier.aspx

I have a masters and so far the degree is not helping with my income! I earned it right in time for the recession and frankly I feel pretty darn lucky to have a job.... Also, I'm almost 5'10''... how do I sign up for the your educated and tall bonus!

“It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense.”
    - Robert Green Ingersoll

Education in America is a joke. So cookie cutter. Carlin was right, see for yourself:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    “It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education than to have education without common sense.”
    - Robert Green Ingersoll

Education in America is a joke. So cookie cutter. Carlin was right, see for yourself:
    [video=youtube;acLW1vFO-2Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q
    Brilliant!

Man there is a really cool video on youtube about this same subject. It's basically the premise that we are all farm animals who can't see our cage. We are "crops" to generate taxes and nothing more. On the preview pic is has this cartoon dude putting people into a giant meatgrinder. I wish I could find it but I can't, doh! I really enjoyed that clip of the late george Carlin though, good stuff.

Read an interesting story this morning about how college kids can't do critical thinking. I think that was one of the best skills my parents gave me in this life.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/01/1...dents-not.html

NEW YORK — An unprecedented study that followed several thousand undergraduates through four years of college found that large numbers didn't learn the critical thinking, complex reasoning and written communication skills that are widely assumed to be at the core of a college education.
    Many of the students graduated without knowing how to sift fact from opinion, make a clear written argument or objectively review conflicting reports of a situation or event, according to New York University sociologist Richard Arum, lead author of the study. The students, for example, couldn't determine the cause of an increase in neighborhood crime or how best to respond without being swayed by emotional testimony and political spin. ..... Cont.... in article....

Your safety is not my responsibility.