Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Education Impacts Your Job & Income (Graphic)

How Education Impacts Your Job & Income (Graphic)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am a Truancy Court Judge and I am just walking out the door to deal with some sluffers. Thanks for this.
    Life is Good

Very cool, busting your ass in college actually pays off

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Clinical laboratory technologists or Medical Laboratory Scientists generally require a bachelor's degree in medical technology or in one of the life sciences; clinical laboratory technicians usually need an associate degree or a certificate.

Median annual wages of medical and clinical laboratory technologists (4 year degree) were $53,500 in May 2008. The middle 50 percent earned between $44,560 and $63,420

Median annual wages of medical and clinical laboratory technicians (2 year degree) were $35,380 in May 2008. The middle 50 percent earned between $28,420 and $44,310

This information is based of the 2010-2011 Occupational Handbook.

Specimen Processors do not require a degree and make about 10-12 and hour so roughly $21,000 to $25,000.

So yeah busting your ass in college makes a difference.

I know this chart has Lab Tech as top paying job with out a degree. That is fairly misleading. Most of the states now require that you have your certification to be able to work as a lab technician and 13 of them require licensure. About the only place you could get hired as a lab tech with out a degree would be a very rural hospital in serious need of technicians.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I am a Truancy Court Judge and I am just walking out the door to deal with some sluffers. Thanks for this.
    Nice.

wonder if a high school grad made the poster... computer enginERRing? ha.

Hate to rain on the degree lovefest... I do agree that it is important and push my kids that direction - successfully I might add! But there are many successful folks without degrees, many multimillionaires. We can have the debate over these being the exception, and in most cases they are. But besides pro athletes, dot com geniuses, stock market phenoms, and the likes, there are some fields that pay well for those that decided not to press through college. Most of the trades pay pretty well - I know lots of Plumbers, electricians, sprink fitters, tin knockers, iron workers, and such that pull in $70-100k - higher that the "Top College Degrees" listed above. I have crane operators that with their OT make $100k+ a year (more if they travel to the boom jobs). Two years ago Rig Welders with gear rates, OT, travel, and sub, etc... were making close to $250k... I know this because I approved way too many contracts with them. Nearly all of my superintendents make $75k+, with quite a number in the $120k range.

It's sad that we live in a society that continually tells our kids that if they don't go on to college they'll never amount to much. They hear it from our teachers, their peers, and even from us as parents. What happened to the old days when being a builder was a respected field? When Farmers were revered for putting food on our tables? I could ramble on.. but I'd just like to say I'm proud to be a Construction Worker. You know - the guys who built your houses, the offices you work in, the university you learned in, the power plant the powers your home, the refinery that supplies you fuel, the plant they made your computer in, etc... Thank one of them the next time you see him or her!

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    Thank one of them the next time you see him or her!
    I'd love to but I don"t speak spanish
    How can you have your non-dairy pudding substitute if you don't eat your wok-braised tofu?

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    But there are many successful folks without degrees, many multimillionaires.
    You missed the point.....The above statistics are the AVERAGE...

"The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

"The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln
    Nice!!!

T

Copied, Pasted, Saved

wow. multiple quotes from bogleyites facebook now...

"Abraham Lincoln is a liar." - George Washington
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    "Abraham Lincoln is a liar." - George Washington
    As quoted by Sarah Palin... Or Michelle Bachmann?

Quote Originally Posted by double moo
    But there are many successful folks without degrees, many multimillionaires.
    The wonderful smarmy quote was a great distraction, but to address the issue -

In the post-Reagan era, actual truth (small t, as shown by statistics) is no longer in fashion. The narrative, the inspiring story, the anecdote has replaced actual understanding (which is so difficult, requires work, and might come up with the "wrong" answer). Yes, there are always exceptions (for instance, me, so far), but level of education correlates highly with total money made.

Tom

I was a technician with 3 years of college for 11 years: designing, building, programming, analyzing, troubleshooting, modeling, etc.

My employer was caught it a personnel jam and offered me a chance to work as an engineer, for $8.50 an hour. Supposedly, I would get wages commensurate with my abilities after I proved I could do the work. Roughly translated, this meant another 50
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

You gain your education when you are young in life to establish a strong foundation from which to launch a career.

The stronger your foundation the better chance of success. That doesn't mean you can't become a success starting with a small foundation and it doesn't mean a strong foundation guarantees success.

But anyone that doesn't believe a good education increases your chances in life is an idiot.

or as I prefer to teach it to my kids.... Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by cachehiker View Post
    When pointy-haired managers arrange for interviews of technical talent, ...
    Pointy-haired???