Thread: Grandeur to Mt Aire

Grandeur to Mt Aire

For a while now I have been thinking of hiking Grandeur Peak and following the ridge up Millcreek to finish off at Mt. Aire. Has anyone done this trip? Any suggestions on whether it would be doable with snowshoes in winter, or if it should be a summer only deal?

If I end up doing it with a partner I would probably use 2 vehicles so I don't have to walk down the road after I'm done.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It should be fairly easy in winter (with in comparison to the ridges to the south). I've climbed all those peaks in the winter season. It will be a long day trip, but doable.

If I end up doing it with a partner I would probably use 2 vehicles so I don't have to walk down the road after I'm done.
    Unless things have changed, you will have to roadwalk at least part the road anyway since the winter closure used to be (and most like still is) at Maple Cove.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I've done it in the summer probably eight years ago. Mt. Aire to Granduer, down the NW rib to the valley and shuttled back up to the car. What I remember is that the trail wasn't well established, mostly game trails with a lot of pushing through low brush. If you go in the summer, don't wear shorts unless you are prepared to be battered by the brush. Still a great hike and the less traveled aspect between the two peaks is one of the appeals.
    It's your fault, you shouldn't have been there!

Agreed about it being fairly quick in winter. I've done both peaks and a bit of the ridge west of Aire and it can definitely be scratchy in the summer. Snowshoeing or skiing the ridge would be faster I think because you could make more of your own route.

Quote Originally Posted by tmartenst View Post
    Agreed about it being fairly quick in winter. I've done both peaks and a bit of the ridge west of Aire and it can definitely be scratchy in the summer. Snowshoeing or skiing the ridge would be faster I think because you could make more of your own route.
    That is what I was thinking. Looking at the ridge last summer always looked like a lot of scrambling through bushes in summer.

yes a lot of scrambling indeed. it is easy to lose the trail about halfway across the ridgeline. we chose to park at the bottom and hitchhike up, taking the pipeline trail down. it was a lovely hike but took MUCH longer than we had anticipated (we were up the canyon from 9am to 3pm) and left us pretty scraped up. the winter would be so beautiful as you can see so much from that viewpoint.