Size:  430.8 KB

Name:  P1220073..JPG
Views: 654
Size:  347.7 KB

Video of the falls:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Current status: closed

Sorry!

I must say that was one cold hike up the Narrows. Lots of changes though... small branches of the river cutting through the banks in new places, new logjams, lots of splintered trees, etc., thanks to the December floods. It'll be interesting to see what's changed in the canyons when they do open up this year.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Excellent stuff, Jeremy! Beautiful photos - checked out the whole hike on Picasa. So, so, so cool! (and cold! ) Excellent report - I love how you describe things so well in your captions.

I love all the pictures in your Picasa Gallery of ice in the desert. Climbable or not, My brain automatically thinks, what if the temps were just right...there has got to be more amazing stuff tucked away in some nook or cranny.
    It's your fault, you shouldn't have been there!

Blog Entries
    I like the ice formations....funky.

On a sidenote: I was scanning through your picasa page, and your just Subway trip just a few months ago....wow, that is SAD! So much sand! Especially the corridor that had that channel inside there. It's completely covered over...

I wish Tom would make me feel better with his years of doing the Subway and say "it'll come back....one day." Even if it's a complete lie...That really is a bummer to see it that full of sand and drastically changed from how it was just a few years ago...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I like the ice formations....funky.

On a sidenote: I was scanning through your picasa page, and your just Subway trip just a few months ago....wow, that is SAD! So much sand! Especially the corridor that had that channel inside there. It's completely covered over...

I wish Tom would make me feel better with his years of doing the Subway and say "it'll come back....one day." Even if it's a complete lie...That really is a bummer to see it that full of sand and drastically changed from how it was just a few years ago...
    For U, Jman...

yeah, actually, it comes back much faster than you might think. The cycles run 2-3 months there. The spring snowmelt might move more sand in, or it might blow out the sand that is already there. In any case, the sand goes, the sand comes, but always too soon!

T

Thanks everyone! Too bad this hike came at the cost of my camera... one of those Olympus waterproof ones that made it through every technical canyon and crazy thing I've done this last year but couldn't make it through the Narrows this time, unfortunately. I never had the compartments open but at some point at the very end one of the seals must have failed, and now I still have a bit of the Virgin River on the inside of my camera.