Thread: Cabin fever and the Mighty Tonka

Cabin fever and the Mighty Tonka

I have been getting a severe case of Cabin Fever. So when a friend called and said he had a buffalo tag for Utahs Book cliffs and would I bring the horses and help him haul his kill back, I jumped at the chance to get out for a day. We got up at 3:30am and loaded up and hit the road a little after 4:00am. We arrived in the Eastern Utah around 8:00am to a beautiful day. Blue Skys but very cold. Temps was 5* just before sun up. It got up to middle 20s for the day.

I am always amazed at just how hardy those original settlers, ranchers and outlaws who settled this area must have been. We take a lot of creature comforts for granted. I was out in the cold for a day with all my modern clothing, Imagine living in places like this.

The Book Cliffs follow Utahs Green River . With the cold temps that area has had the river was frozen solid.

The buffalo find shelter in the many canyons, draws and washes. So we had to get up high and look into as many canyons as possible to try and spot the mighty Tonka.

Here is one herd that we spotted. But I would have needed a helocopter to retriece any buffalo we might could have hit.

This photo is not zoomed, So you can see the canyon that we would have had to try and climb down into. The horses said" No Way, find a different herd" This photo gives you an idea of how flat all this land was before the erosion created all the canyons and washes.

We found another herd on a distance bench, It took us several hours to work our way around the canyons and get close to them.

We harvested a nice bull at 3:30pm and the work started. It took several hours to get it cut up and loaded on the horses. We got it all cut up and loaded just as the sun set. About 6:00pm we headed back for the truck in the dark. We had a 2.5 mile ride back and the temps began to really drop now that the sun was gone. We couldn't get all the meat and the hide on the horses for one trip, so we made a trip, unloaded and returned to get the balance. We finally got the last load in the truck around 9:00pm and started for home. We were all very tired. But I think it cured my cabin fever!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

thought it was tatonka? tonka is a truck. looks like a fun hunt. burgers for all!!!! save some for me!
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Nice tr. looks like a good bull.

That's certainly on my bucket list. What a beautiful animal. Great job!

I stand corrected, it probably is Tatonka, But when I look in the Modern Urban dictiionary, That word means "Really Fat Chick"

In contemporary American society, word commonly used to describe a really fat chick.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
    I stand corrected, it probably is Tatonka, But when I look in the Modern Urban dictiionary, That word means "Really Fat Chick"

In contemporary American society, word commonly used to describe a really fat chick.

That's the Urban Dictionary for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post

now that's funny!!!
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Looks like a great hunt. What rifle and load did you use?
    Let's Roll

Winchester M70 in 300 WSM shoooting Barnes 168 TSX over 69g IMR 4821 @ 3200 fps