Thread: Cedar Mesa hiking and photography trip - anybody want to join me?

Cedar Mesa hiking and photography trip - anybody want to join me?

I'm planing a trip to the Cedar Mesa area for late February. I plan on spending 3 - 4 days, hiking, exploring and photographing ruins. My dates are somewhat flexible at this time but I will need to firm them up soon.

I will probably drive over from the Denver area on a Wednesday afternoon, hit a hotel for the first night in Moab. Visit Mesa Arch in Canyonlands at first light the next morning for some photography then head to Cedar Mesa. At this time I'm thinking about camping out of my truck in the Cedar Mesa area for the duration of my visit. I plan on visiting Moon House, Mule and Road Canyon's, The Citadel and whatever else strikes my fancy. I'm open to different ideas from anybody who might like to go.

I'm not an overly ambitious hiker, maybe 10 - 15 miles per day max.

Would anybody like to join me for a day or the entire trip?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm actually headed out there this weekend, otherwise I would love to join a fellow photographer/hiker. Possibly some other time.

Quote Originally Posted by HighPlainsPhotographer View Post
    Visit Mesa Arch in Canyonlands at first light the next morning for some photography
    Now I remember why I'm not a photographer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    But...like in a similar thread, you might have a buyer who will purchase a print for $1,000,000. Just saying...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    checkout time is not until 11:00. he could pick you up on the way back through.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    But...like in a similar thread, you might have a buyer who will purchase a print for $1,000,000. Just saying...
    If I get a $1,000,000 photo (uhh, yah right) I promise to share part of the loot with my hiking partner(s)

I am very tempted to try to make a couple of days available and come down and join you.. do you have any other details about where you are camping etc.. any dates that you are more inclined to go on etc..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee View Post
    I am very tempted to try to make a couple of days available and come down and join you.. do you have any other details about where you are camping etc.. any dates that you are more inclined to go on etc..
    I'm open for ideas on where to camp, other then passing through, I have not spent much time in this area. Just thinking out loud...maybe camping somewhere off of Co Rd 237/Snow Flats Rd. I was also thinking the Valley of the Gods area. I might be lame and get a motel in Blanding, but more then likely I will camp.

As far as a date, I'm leaning towards leaving the Denver area the afternoon of Weds 2/23, motel in Moab and then up to Canyonlands early 2/24 for my $1,000,000 photo. 2/24 through 2/27 (or so) on Cedar Mesa.