Thread: Backpacking in Cedar Mesa thats not Grand Gulch

Backpacking in Cedar Mesa thats not Grand Gulch

Anyone ever backpacked for 3-4 days in cedar mesa that isn't in Grand Gulch. I did it a few years back and was wondering about any other canyons.

I thought I could go down Road Canyon for a night and see Fallen Roof, 7 Kivas and Citadel, looks like there might be a little more there also, but its not very long. Looking for something 15-20 miles long, 2-3-4 days.

TIA.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This is one I have always wanted to do - Park at the head of Point Lookout Canyon, which is quite close to the 6th? access point for Slickhorn (the corral) - Hike down Point Lookout to the San Juan(I did Pt. Lookout a while back but just to the river, it is a beautiful little canyon with a few ruins). Hike to the San Juan then up 1 canyon and ascend Slickhorn to your car. That would be an good hike in 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by gnwatts View Post
    This is one I have always wanted to do - Park at the head of Point Lookout Canyon, which is quite close to the 6th? access point for Slickhorn (the corral) - Hike down Point Lookout to the San Juan(I did Pt. Lookout a while back but just to the river, it is a beautiful little canyon with a few ruins). Hike to the San Juan then up 1 canyon and ascend Slickhorn to your car. That would be an good hike in 4 days.

the point lookout/slickhorn is a very nice 3-4 day trip. watch for heaps of petroglyphs at the bottom end of point lookout. the lack of trail makes for little traffic. you won't see anyone down there. the route from the bottom of point lookout is easy. you walk an old mining track along the terrace high above the river all the way into slickhorn. you might see some folks in the bottom of slickhorn. its a favorite camp for floaters. there is an exit out of slickhorn in a small side canyon before you get to #6 (aka trail canyon). and its an easy walk back to your car from there. you can park at the water tank at the top of point lookout. i'll try and put up a tr in a couple of days.

all of the other canyons on cedar mesa are good hikes. road canyon can be done in a nice loop. start mid way down and descend as if you are going 7 kivas. then go down stream. and then go back up the north fork. at the top of the north fork just orienteer your way across the mesa and drop into the head of the south fork. lots of stuff to see. you could easily spend 3-5 days on that loop.

fish/owl is another 4-5 day loop you could do.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.