Thread: Lance Armstrong - Doping?

Lance Armstrong - Doping?

warning - some foul language. but very funny.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Andy why couldn't all the other doping cyclists keep up with him?

No matter what he is an exceptional athlete

4. Likes accadacca, JP liked this post
    Doping doesn't give everyone the same performance gain, which is why doping isn't fair. It's not a level playing field, even if everyone is doping.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

You can get to the same levels

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Doping doesn't give everyone the same performance gain, which is why doping isn't fair. It's not a level playing field, even if everyone is doping.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3
    not sure I agree that an inherent genetic advantage is a valid argument for anti doping. For the same reason a 7 foot person is better at basketball than a 5 foot person. But then again I'm on the other side of this argument and would love to see our species reach perfection through chemicals and even genetic manipulation. *shrug* Our differences should be celebrated, not discouraged. And reaching the pinnacle of a sport is something few exceptional individuals ever achieve. The method they used to "get there" does not belittle their accomplishment in my eyes.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

8. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    not sure I agree that an inherent genetic advantage is a valid argument for anti doping. For the same reason a 7 foot person is better at basketball than a 5 foot person. But then again I'm on the other side of this argument and would love to see our species reach perfection through chemicals and even genetic manipulation. *shrug* Our differences should be celebrated, not discouraged. And reaching the pinnacle of a sport is something few exceptional individuals ever achieve. The method they used to "get there" does not belittle their accomplishment in my eyes.
    We should just genetically modify everyone with the same traits, IQ, height, medical conditions so that everything will be fair.. and since we can't seem to cure most things I guess that genetic modification will be that we are all midgets, with heart problems and the downs so that no-one feels like someone else has an edge over them...
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

10. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Not all people will respond to doping the in the same way. You will still have your elite athletes and your mediocre ones. Sure your mediocre athletes will improve, but so will your elites.

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Not all people will respond to doping the in the same way. You will still have your elite athletes and your mediocre ones. Sure your mediocre athletes will improve, but so will your elites.
    The problem with doping is an elite athlete might get a 5% advantage from doping, while a mediocre athlete might get s 20% advantage. And the mediocre athlete is suddenly better then the elite athlete.

I'm not arguing for or against, just pointing out if everyone dopes it's not a level playing field, in fact, the playing field becomes less fair and is tilted toward the athlete that responds better to doping.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The problem with doping is an elite athlete might get a 5% advantage from doping, while a mediocre athlete might get s 20% advantage. And the mediocre athlete is suddenly better then the elite athlete
    Steroids work and they work for everybody. A mediocre athlete may surpass an elite athlete if the elite athlete isn't using. What makes that elite an elite, is that "born" with it notion they are tagged with or gifted. Like timing for a boxer or a MMA fighter. Some people have to work on that timing or just be faster and stronger to overcome that timing issue. For someone that timing comes natural to, being faster and stronger can be enhanced through drugs. Elite athletes are gifted in one or more ways than one, adding drugs only makes them better. Something like steroids may not be among the addicting drugs, how it does draw people in is knowing that they work. Athletes are living in the now, their pay depends on it. Offer something to someone that will guarantee them better results and most will be trying it.

I agree doping works and it works for everyone, but it has been proven on the field and in the laboratory that the gain is not equal. Some people just respond better to certain drugs. Anyone with hay fever understands this.

FWIW - steroids were not the big problem in cycling. Steroids are counterproductive in cycling as they build muscles that increase weight. And in cycling lightweight and endurance are the keys. In cycling blood doping is the big problem. EPO and blood transfusion are two of the more well known. Some peoples blood has the ability to naturally carry more oxygen, EPO can increase that ability by 5 to 20%, the problem is its just luck of the draw what percentage it helps you.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Use both. Nothing beats having more wind while you're pounding the snot out of someone Being able to go all out for five five minute rounds is key. Although, most won't see the five rounds.

17. Likes rockgremlin liked this post