Thread: NV keyhole canyon

NV keyhole canyon

So I'm new to this Canyoneering thing and to Bogley. Last week my brother and me did NV keyhole the only thing i had mix filling on is someone is putting a nice chains on all the rappelling anchors to rappel off of.
    The good thing is there is no bolt in the top part of the canyon and the only bolt in the canyon are for rock climbing routs. Like i sad Im new to canyoneering and is the chain thing a new thing for canyoneering? Yes it safe but it look's bad and i know some people don't like bolt's.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by rclimb View Post
    Like i sad Im new to canyoneering and is the chain thing a new thing for canyoneering?
    Nothing new.... I used to always pack 100' of chain with me for anchors, recently I've switched over to tubular webbing.
    Not really sold on the webbing yet, it seems vastly inferior to the old chain. I'm thinking of switching back.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Huh! Yes, that is odd. Chains on bolts - less odd, but on sandstone, the chain moving around chews up the rock, so not considered a good solution.

Yank it, replace with webbing. Then you have a nice chain, too.

Tom

Easy enough to clean (remove). Would be better if they made some attempt to paint the chain, but, galvanized chain is tough to paint.

Does Keyhole get that much traffic? If so, chain instead of sling would keep the sling wad down.

Last time I was at Keyhole, a couple families with kids were playing paintball. They'd shot everything in sight (including the 'glyphs) with those things. Big group. Quite a mess.

Post some shots of the "canyon"!

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Chains on bolts - less odd, but on sandstone, the chain moving around chews up the rock, so not considered a good solution.
    Keyhole ain't sandstone...

I do not know how much traffic it has but it don't look to be a lot. And I'm happy i did not see anyone paintball that would have piss me off because the glyphs are cool but someone did try to make some more glyphs what are not cool. NV KEYHOLE has 5 rappels and seem to be a good one for me to get out of the cool

Nice shots!

Dang, another place to get back to...ha ha.

Can you share where this one is? Looks to be a nice one to do this time of year.

I've never been to keyhole, but I do know this much....

Keyhole Canyon - The rock at Keyhole Canyon is a quartz monzonite, which is similar to the rock at Joshua Tree National Park. The climbs at Keyhole Canyon are all half a rope length or shorter. There are a few bolted routes, but the ethic of the area is traditional climbing and no new bolting is recommended. Keyhole Canyon is home to the Keyhole Classic Bouldering Competition every year in mid-October.

Keyhole Canyon has a wealth of Native American rock art. Design elements include both pictographs in red ocre paint and incised petroglyphs. In addition, several areas exhibit cupules or dished out circular depressions in the rock surfaces. Please respect this cherished resource and protect them for future generations. Do not climb or boulder within one hundred feet of all rock art. Potential effects to rock art include oils from hands created by touching the elements and other direct physical contact, bolting, and indirect affects from misplaced camp fires/smoke damage, shooting, etc.

Keyhole Canyon is located south of Boulder City on Highway 95 south. To get to Keyhole, travel south on Highway 95 for roughly 15 miles from the junction of Highway 95 and Highway 93. Watch for a dirt road on the left side of the highway, turn left on the dirt road and follow it for 2.2 miles. After you cross under a set of power lines turn right (south) and travel 1.8 miles to the turnoff for Keyhole Canyon. The turn off for Keyhole will be on your left. A detailed map of how to get to Keyhole Canyon is located in the back of Rock Climbing Red Rocks by Todd Swain.

Looks like a cool canyon to do this time of year. If i can find some good beta i think ill do it this weekend
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

Here is what I know. You owe us a trip report when you get back.

NV Keyhole Canyon - Nevada
    Rating: 3AII
    5 rappels up to 90'
    No swimming or wading
    Trailhead: 35

Thanks Iceaxe, ill take somemore pic maybe even some of the Rock Art
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

it took me and my brother 2 hours 10 minutes i think round trip and from the top of the canyon to the bottom is a 1/2 mile 4 out of the 5 rappels have the chain's on them and some good down climb's. so bring so webbing and maybe paint the chains or tools for removal. the fourth rappel is off a small tree and it seem like there's a lot of note's on the fifth rappel of people getting there rope stuck.
    have fun trip

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Looks like a clean up on isle K is needed.
    Thanks for the pics rc
    Sorry bout the initial sarcasm................

[QUOTE=Iceaxe;431179]Here is what I know. You owe us a trip report when you get back.

NV Keyhole Canyon - Nevada
    Rating: 3AII
    5 rappels up to 90'
    No swimming or wading
    Trailhead: 35
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!