Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doll House

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Doll House

Can a stock Grand Cherokee make this?(without body damage)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Can a stock Grand Cherokee make this?(without body damage)
    When I hiked up to the Doll House on Oct. 17th from Spanish Bottom, there was what appeared to be "Stock" 4wd's parked on top?

4. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Are you talking about the Doll House ruin or the Doll House area of The Maze?

The camping area in the Maze.
    Above Spanish bottom as Bo references.

Probably. The worst part is near the beginning of the Teapot canyon. I met someone who gave up driving his stock Cherokee at that point and hiked it instead. But he was admittedly not a very experience 4W driver.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

8. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Oh, and one of the camps (Doll house 2?) was pretty tricky to get into. Took us a while to figure out how to negotiate it, but with some spotting and patience it worked out.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

10. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    piece of cake. took my stock 1990 4 runner out there a couple times. i am sure your cherokee is even more capable.
    Name:  trail to maze 3..jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  trail to maze 1..jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  67.8 KB

just watch the road coming down from the flint trail. there is a section of road which traverses above red cove which has some clay (i think it's in the chinle formation) and when wet can be a problem.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

12. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Good point on that clay. If it had been raining or snowing a lot there's always the longer way in from Hite.

time wise it's not that much longer. maybe 20 or 30 minutes is all. from the 4 way junction at teapot/sunset pass, its 30 miles of dirt to the highway just north of hite and 61 miles of dirt to the highway via hans flat. unless you have a real desire to go down the flint trail the road is much better coming in from the south.

Name:  IMGP1465 (Medium)..JPG
Views: 1353
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  IMGP1466 (Medium)..JPG
Views: 1269
Size:  78.6 KB

15. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    time wise it's not that much longer. maybe 20 or 30 minutes is all.
    Starting from Hans Flat Ranger Station? Since you need to get your permit from there....
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ View Post
    Starting from Hans Flat Ranger Station? Since you need to get your permit from there....
    if you are already at hans flat ranger station you are right.

i meant starting from the highway at the turnoff of highway 24 just north of hanksville. i have always gone in via hans flat. and out tthe road to hite. getting out seemed so damn fast in comparison. and the county maintains the road in from hite more frequently. right up to the base of the flint trail.

i can't remember, but do you have to get your permit directly from the ranger at hans flat? or can you get a permit in moab or through the mail?

18. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    You have to pick it up at Hans Flat
    Randy Langstraat

Yeah, wouldn't want to be going down the road except in dry conditions, after picking up your permit here, at Hans Flat:

I made the loop a few years ago from Hanksville out to the Hans Flat road down to the Doll House and then onto Hite from there we went over the Henry's and then eventually ended up back in Hanskville. It was a long day. Coming in from Hite is much faster and easier. IMO the scenery is nicer from Hite also. IMO 2 the road is no where as scenic as the White Rim. The flint trail switch backs were way over rated. We weren't dissappointed but not as scenic as we thought it was going to be. But regardless of that I do not remember thinking the road was at all difficult. I never turned in my hubs. In fact my buddy and I commented on why did we even bring my jeep should of just gone in my truck. Randy what permit do you have to have?
    Has anyone come in from Poison Springs? On a map that looks like the shortest. We were going to ride our moto bikes in last fall that way when we were playing at the North Wash but never made it.

22. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Mark- you only need a permit to camp in one of the designated sites.
    Randy Langstraat

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    Yeah, wouldn't want to be going down the road except in dry conditions, after picking up your permit here, at Hans Flat:

yea that morning was a bit blustery. not exactly what i expected to wake up to. nice shot of my 4 runner though.

@moab mark poison spring is a long way. first you have to ford the dirty devil.

Name:  dirty devil cros&#1.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  179.6 KB

and then from there is is a long way to sunset pass. very slow going in 4wd.. on dirt bikes it would be a blast. i did it from sunset pass to the dirty devil.

Great info, thanks guys.

We called Hans Flat just a few weeks ago, and they said we didn't need to show up in person to get an overnight permit for the Maze. They said we just needed to call the first day of the trip, and they would give us a safety and conditions speech, and that would be our permit.

They did recommend that if we were going to enter from Hite, though, that we call before leaving Hanksville, because we probably wouldn't get cell service after that.

Keith

27. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Hmmm...I have a permit for April and was told I needed to pickup the permit in person. They need to verify we have an approved toilet system, etc....
    Randy Langstraat

The reason we even called and asked that question was because I saw a trip report where the guy said he called to get his permit from a barely operable payphone at the Hite ranger station.