Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurrah Pass/Lockhart Basin?

Quote Originally Posted by dburt View Post
    Ok, well I'm headed back to the area again this weekend. Anyone know if it is still open? Maybe I wont do the whole thing, just to the trail that goes down to the river. Anyone camped there? Thanks
    Yes, we've camped just outside the park boundary in Lockhart Canyon, some decent primitive sites. You can bushwack right down to the river if your up for a cold swim too.

2. Likes oldno7 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Did you go?

No, we did some different, shorter trails instead, however, we are still interested. Plannning another week in moab in April. Hoping to get it this time. Anyone know how it is now?

6. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dburt View Post
    No, we did some different, shorter trails instead, however, we are still interested. Plannning another week in moab in April. Hoping to get it this time. Anyone know how it is now?
    About two weeks ago, I drove the Lockhart Basin Rd in its entirety from north to south.

I had trouble right after turning off from the Hurrah Pass/Chicken Corners Road. By which I mean, I had a hard time figuring out which way to go as there were tire tracks going in multiple directions. After exploring a bit on foot, I finally identified the actual road (a turn to the left as you come from the north) and quickly reached the "fun" part.

I was driving by myself, so several times I had to get out and evaluate my next move. I don't recall doing much rock-stacking but yes, the first ~ 4 miles has its moments. I got some use out of my differential lock and my rocker guards a few times.

I also took the spur road down to the river. I didn't camp but did have a lunch break at the road's end. From there I could hear some people down near the water, but due to the vegetation couldn't see them and I didn't bother trying to follow the use trail down.

My chariot was the one in my avatar: a 2010 Xterra Offroad, with a 3" lift; BFG All Terrain TA's (aired down); stock rear locker; and Shrockworks rocker guards, skid plates, and front bumper/bullbar.

8. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Sounds pretty rough (and fun)! What would you rate it if I was to go south to north?...Just got back from the area yesterday. Talked about doing the trail since we had another vehicle with us. Ended up doing the white rim since we didn't have info on the fun part of lockhart, didnt want to have to turn around. Hoping to go back in October...maybe then!?

If you were going south to north, then you'd be going downhill on the rougher parts. Of course the risk is, if you did run into something impassable (possibly due to storm damage, etc.), it's a looonngg way back! That's something I always consider a risk on such a long route.

What kind of vehicle(s) will be making the attempt? I sure wouldn't recommend longer wheelbases such as larger SUV's or longer pick-ups. I also recall a spot on a shelf where the road was rather narrow. It seemed more of a squeeze than anything on the Chicken Corners spur (which I drove a day earlier). So an H2 might not be good either.

11. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    tacoma xtra cab 31s...i guess if i really wanted to do it, i could bring extra gas and make sure i have an xtra day in case..

several years ago i took my stock 4runner from south to north. i was glad to be going down the section known as "hell hill". going up that would have been impossible in my rig. like i said that was many years ago and i don't know the current condition of the road.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

14. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    OK, I finally made it there (today).

In my (stock except for oversized off road tires) 90's Pathfinder, I made it up all the slickrock ledges on Hell Hill, but had to stop at a boulder just before the slickrock V-groove (Scraping bottom a few times). With a spotter I probably could have made it over this, but I couldn't have made the last obstacle in my vehicle (downhill may have been possible, but I probably would have damaged the vehicle at that one obstacle), two boulders in the road just before topping out in the wash. I walked that part. After the two boulders, there is a rough spot on the traverse, but if you make it over those two big rocks, it won't be a problem. I also did the Chicken Corners and Jackson Hole routes. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera on this trip and saw all kinds of spectacular scenery.

I also hike to the top of the rock at the Catacombs, explored the little caves, and did the hike at Chicken Corners (which seems narrower and scarier when I did it before). I didn't think I'd have time to climb/hike Jacksons Ladder, so didn't do that part. I also hiked up Hunter Canyon. I had hoped to see some petroglyph panels in the area, but it was dark when I got out of Hunter Canyon and I ran out of time. Long day.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

16. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    I have some older picture from that nasty little Canyon between Chicken Corner Trail and Lockhart Basin Trail.

These ones with the Explorer are from 1993, the Chevrolet Blazer might be 2000 or so.

Coolant too hot at nearly 100°F in the Canyon!

View from top

Starting upwards with the Explorer

The final step

We did it! The proof is in the track!

18. Likes oldno7 liked this post