Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurrah Pass/Lockhart Basin?

Hurrah Pass/Lockhart Basin?

Since the Mineral Bottom Road is still closed (which makes the White Rim Loop out of service), I was thinking of going over Hurrah Pass through Lockhart Basin and to the Needles (at least when some of the snow melts).

Does anyone have an idea of conditions?

Last time I was there, a rockslide blocked the road south of Hurrah Pass (long since fixed) and I had to backtrack the entire way back to the Needles, so I thought I'd check conditions first this time.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

going from moab to needles via that route requires you to go up one really difficult section of road a little ways past the turnoff to chicken corners. i think it was called hell hole (or something like that) i'm glad i was coming down instead. not sure if i could have gotten up in my stock 4 runner. it was pretty rough with a lot of big steps in a row.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

4. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    That spot has gotten ugly. I had driven it years ago in a Jeep and it wasn't to bad. Rode a motorcycle thru this fall and was amazed at how bad it had become. A guy was going thru in a TJ with 33's on it and he was struggling. There is one spot with some big rocks and nasty shelves that have "I like to eat running boards written all over them". If your going to try it in a basic rig I would definitely go south to north. The county ought to do a little work on it cause the rest of the road is a freeway. If you came all the way from Needles in your Suburban and had to back track you would probably not be to happy. Better hurry if you want to go because I am sure it will be a Wilderness Study area soon.

yea that's the place. i had it fill some holes and chink it just to get down it. rock crawler country, that bit.

7. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    going from moab to needles via that route requires you to go up one really difficult section of road a little ways past the turnoff to chicken corners.
    That's the place I had to do in both directions since I had to backtrack south all the way from near Hurrah Pass (when I got all the way back someone had just posted on a board that the road was closed, but I was too late). It sounds like the road has gotten even worse at that place. At least if I was stopped there, it wouldn't require that much backtracking no matter which direction I came from.

The only reason I was thinking north to south is that if I had to turn back, I would still get to see the sections I missed last time, but I had forgot how nasty that one place was. I was hoping to do some hikes on the northern end, so I guess if I go I'll forget about doing a one way trip and just make it an out and back instead.

Thanks for the info.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

same question

we want to do south to north in march. pretty much stock tacoma, 32s, intermediate driver, seems like a fun overnighter to get back to moab from the needles. haven't decided for sure yet. who do i call for up-to-date closers? any other suggestions for a back up trail if it is closed?
    moab mark..which way was the tj goin?
    denaliguide...when did you do it?
    Scott P when are you plannin on doin it? maybe i could get a trail report?

thanks!
    dburt

i went from the needles to moab. much easier going down that hard section. it as about 2004

Scott P when are you plannin on doin it?
    I'm not sure yet. It depends on what we do Presidents Day Weekend. It depends on which partner's I find to go and the weather (hoping to do some technical canyons, but if not the above is one of the backup plans).

I haven't been through there for several years, but the section climbing up and out of what these guys are referring to below was incredibly nasty. it took me and buddy in a tits out rubicon several tries to make it through, I was pretty concerned as to whether or not we'd made a horrible decision trying it.
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

13. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    it took me and buddy in a tits out rubicon several tries to make it through, I was pretty concerned as to whether or not we'd made a horrible decision trying it.
    OK, so I guess I'll completely forget any hints about even trying it with my old Pathfider. Since I took my Samurai, it must have been in 1994 since I was there last.

Scott;

I hope you'll keep me informed if you decide on a date for this trip and the route you plan to take. I'd be interested in going along but my CJ-5 Heep is pretty much stock.

Yers,
    Eric

eprobe2002@yahoo.com

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes!

Never could get a definate answer out of anyone there if it had been fixed or not. One ranger told me that she had heard that it was, but wasn't sure. I decided that a six hour drive to find out wasn't worth it. Did go to hurrah pass the other way..amazing views! Didn't have time to go look at the rough part. Going back in September, if anyone finds out the status let me know how it is!

Mineral Bottom and White Rim Trail are in fact open, ahead of schedule and well below budget

Please let me know if anyone does this trail in April. I am think of doing it first week of May, 2011 needles to moab.
    How far can you go on the Chicken Corners trail?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g395 View Post
    How far can you go on the Chicken Corners trail?
    Thanks
    Until it ends. When you get to the end make sure you do the hike around the corner. It's where the trail gets it name. Also stop at the wind caves on your way to Hurrah Pass, pretty cool. I seriously doubt the county has done any work on that road. To make it passable for SUV's would be a pretty pricey job.

Quote Originally Posted by g395 View Post
    ...needles to moab...
    Lockhart Basin & Hurrah Pass were clear and driveable as of last weekend, a gent on ExpeditionUtah.com just posted a trip report of that exact route. Good luck!

22. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    ExpUt....Looked for the post on ExpeditionUtah.com couldn't find which one it was..can you point me in the right direction?
    thanks

24. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dburt View Post
    ExpUt....Looked for the post on ExpeditionUtah.com couldn't find which one it was..can you point me in the right direction?
    thanks
    No prob: http://www.expeditionutah.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1875

26. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Ok, well I'm headed back to the area again this weekend. Anyone know if it is still open? Maybe I wont do the whole thing, just to the trail that goes down to the river. Anyone camped there? Thanks

28. Likes oldno7 liked this post