Thread: Kauai'i trip in September 2011

Blog Entries

Kauai'i trip in September 2011

So my family and I found an incredible deal on Costco Travel's website, where 8 of us can go for $925 for 7 days - which includes all airfare (from SLC, LA, Kauai), hotel, and even a van! Holy awesome! So for those of you looking for awesome trip as well, I would hit up the website and look into it pronto...

We're staying at the Aston Poipu Kai, which I heard is quite good. Has something like 7 pools, full amenities, and just a mile or so from the only Costco on the island.

I've been to Oahu and the Big Island a few years back, but this is my first time to Kauai'i.

I've been scanning over the past threads gathering more info...
    I've learned that massive flooding brought out lots of chickens and wildlife from the inner jungle out to the cities (many years ago and now they permanently live there now), and to expect quite a bit of garbage.

Things to do: boogy-board (buy boards from costco), take a surfing class, golf on a 9-hole or 18-hole course, check out the Waimea canyon (where they filmed Jurassic Park 1 when then first drop into the canyon), and snorkel around.

I've also learned that scuba diving isn't so great there, as fresh water kills the reef. And Kauai'i receives the most water or precipiation in the world, so the reef isn't anything out of the ordinary. But snorkeling I hear is the better sport to choose compared to scuba diving on Kauai.

I would like spend one or two days and do countless hikes within those days. IE exploring waterfalls, exploring lava tubes, checking out flower plantations, maybe some possible short canyoneering? I would prefer some personal experience over books, but I'm just trying to narrow down my options...any ideas?

Are there any zipline adventures on Kauai'i? I went to one in Puerto Vallarta in Mexico and it was so much fun! Involved a 2mile mule ride up the mountain, 15 ziplines, rappelling, and a zipline through a waterfall, and lots of wading. So much fun!! Anything similar would be an added bonus, if it existed.

So I wanna do as much as a I can, but at the same time, I'm on vacation...gotta relax on the beech, swim, golf, do some shopping...etc. You know how it goes...

Thanks!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I can't help much with the hiking/canyoneering opportunities but I know a few things that may be useful.

I imagine you'll probably plan on hiking the Napali Coast but you might also want to consider a catamaran trip if you have the time and don't mind shelling out for it. It's a really cool experience with a unique vantage point of the island. We got to ride right out on the tips of the boat and even on the net between them with dolphins all around the boat flying in and out of the water. It was really cool. We also stopped and did some snorkeling on the south shore which was definitely not as rich in coral as something like Hanama Bay but there were a lot of sea turtles to swim with.

Costco's food court is just as cheap in Kauai as it is here which can be helpful considering everything costs an arm and a leg out there, but I don't think your hotel is a mile away from it. If it's the Aston Poipu Kai then you're in Poipu on the south end of the island, about a half hour from Lihue where the Costco is. We stayed in Poipu for 8 days a couple of years ago. Loved it. Best island in Hawaii.

napali coast is awesome, but don't expect it to be "wilderness..." best if you spend 3 days out there to make it to kalalau.

also, i don't have it with me right now, but borders sells an awesome hiking book that we did a lot of hikes from. can't remember the exact title. lots of good stuff at the end of waimea canyon, overlooking the napali coast.

snorkeling is excellent in kauai.

http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=190

http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=187

Blog Entries
    is the Kalalau Trail, THEE trail on the Na Pali coast? As I'm not going to have my hiking or camping gear with me, and since we are paying for a hotel - - - why not use it eh? Anywho, the Kalalau trail is rated as a 9/10 "difficulty" hike according to Sierra magazine. Would it be possible to hike the 11 miles, and have a boat pick us up at the end? The whole 11 miles in one day - how long would it take you think? I've hiked the full 16-miles of the Narrows in July last year in under 6 hours. So I'd imagine this 11 mile hike, although with wet and slippery, would probably take less than 8-9 hours (including photo stops)?

I've seen lots of pics of this trail, and the views, lush valleys, streams and waterfalls make this a must-do for sure. Thanks for reminding me of it ibenick.

Dan, when you remember that book name, please let me know! thanks a ton!

Update: Dan, just read your article on the trail....wow...sad to hear about a famous place being trashed...
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Na Pali Coast trail isn't that hard, especially if you don't have to carry gear to camp there for multiple days. But it is hard to make good time on a lot of it, just too much vegetation and mud etc. Also, a big storm can really change things in a hurry. Still, sure you can do it in a very long day. The one problem might be arranging a pick up late in the day *and* knowing that they will come out there on any given day. The ocean is very rough on that side and some days they just won't go out in the Zodiacs. I think I would try to get a ride out and hike back, then you are in control of the situation. The detour at Hanakapiai Beach up to the waterfall is worthwhile too. There are also great side hikes in Kalalau Valley itself, but if you're going to do it all in one day that's too much, I think.

We had a great time on the Awaawapuhi Trail last summer. It takes you out to the edge of the cliffs. I posted a pic on bogley somewhere...
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Spent a week at the Waiohai Beach Club @ Poipu Beach in Kauai last year. Wish I could be of more help, but we didn't do a lot..... Coffee, food, beach, beer, food, beer, beach.....mix in golf for the guys, shopping for the ladies....food, drinks, adult stuff...repeat.

We drove to one end of the island day 2....the other end maybe day 5. We stopped at Costco during day 2 trip to load up on snacks, beer and liquor. That was after paying like $20+ for a glass of bourbon and a draft beer on night 1....

It was a perfect vacation. Poipu Beach is really nice. Ran every day in Kauai as the sun came up....there could be worse places to get a little exercise.

Here's the view from the AwaAwapuhi trail (off of Waimea Canyon)

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...l=1#post416455
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Kauai is my fav. Seriously jealous man. Lucky SOB.

the book is called "kauai trails" by kathy morey. go figure.

pm me your address and i can mail it to you. it's got most of the trail system on the island well mapped, give you all the ideas you could need.

you could do the whole kalalau trail in 5 hours if it's in decent condition and you didn't have to carry much, but i'm not sure about the boat pickup. pretty sure motorized craft are not supposed to land out there. it's not wilderness, but it is in a state park. the dinner cruise boats come by every evening, but they stay a long ways out. i know guys paddle it, but i am not sure about the motorized boat shuttle. might be possible though.

it'd be a shame to day trip it though. there is at least one full day of exploration in the "valley," plus, meeting the "locals" who live out there. place is pretty nutty.

Bogley BigShot
    Sounds fun! I am doing a cruise to the Hawaiian islands in April. I think its about the same price, but have to add flying to the port on top of that. Never been to Kauai but spent 2 weeks in Oahu once. I got this book called hidden Oahu or something like that. It took me to out of the way places like Goat Island, Jackass Trail and other remote parts of the island. I loved it! I am sure they have one for Kauai too.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    this guy is looking for Kauai canyoning partners

http://www.waialeale.org/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    this guy is looking for Kauai canyoning partners

http://www.waialeale.org/
    where do you seem asking for help explicitly? I can't seem to find that.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    where do you seem asking for help explicitly? I can't seem to find that.
    not help but partners. I've found a comment looking for partners on pages off the main page.

I first found his website a while back on another hiking form where he posted looking for potential partners to explore with.

Oh man I LOVE Kauai! I can't really add too much to this but in Sept you should beat the really rough surf & weather that the NaPali Coast is famous for - which is winter season...30'-40' killer surf. Still, not a safe coast to be on in a storm. Last time I was there we were there in August for my birthday and were able to walk south past Ke'e Beach area actually ON the beach, one of the most beautiful views of any shore anywhere. Just before that(north) you can snorkel/scuba Tunnels Beach reef area. I wouldn't count on anyone picking you up on the south end of NaPali (Polihale State Park) which is miles of open beach sand with a few 'roads' into it. Poipu actually has more surf that time of year that the north shore so surfing would be fairly decent there and up the east coast just immediately north of KaPaa area. Another hike you could do is up into Waialeale Crater.....too many things to do to mention...I could go on and on. and on.

What was the name of the Gardens?... anyway, if you want to see some beautiful gardens, there are some there. (that was helpful...) I too love that island. And yes there are zip line adventures. Bring an extra arm and/or leg to pay for them.
    Life is Good

Scuba- One option from Kauai is Niihau http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/arc.../t-270640.html
    Zipline- We did a 1/2 day zipline from some company based out of Princeville...It was fun and worth doing, but I wouldnt do it again! Take what I say with a grain of salt I am a beach bum.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for reviving this thread mattandersao! lol. We cancelled our scuba trip just because we heard too many people saying that all the fresh water destroys the reef, and scuba isn't so great there. Snorkeling is the better choice they say. BUT...... The trip is in 3 weeks!!!

We invited a few more friends, but I still can't believe the incredible deal that we got.
    Anyways, so we created a good itinerary and I'll have to post it soon and see if I get yays or nays on some of the things. One of the cool things we have planned is exploring 2 1-mile long tunnels on the North side of the island, that lead to "secret" (so cliche these days) waterfalls.

A few of us also wanna try our hands at 18-holes. There are a few courses on Kauai, but we are choosing one on the east side right next to the coast. Very pretty!

Oh and yes...lots of sun bathing and swimming too.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Glad to see this moving again. Another fun thing to do on Kauai is geocaching- of which there are many. Check out geocaching.com