Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Idea - Hiking/Canyoneering Resume?

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    I definitely run into this frequently and I'm always logged in. Just curious, why do you host Bogley on your own server rather than through a hosting company?
    It is through a hosting company

On the search thing, let me look into that. Does it happen every time for you? I just did 3 consecutive searches without the delay. With posting, we'll have to wait the 30 seconds for a similar reason, plus a spammer could post 1000 simultaneous messages at once if we didn't have that in place.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    It is through a hosting company

On the search thing, let me look into that. Does it happen every time for you? I just did 3 consecutive searches without the delay. With posting, we'll have to wait the 30 seconds for a similar reason, plus a spammer could post 1000 simultaneous messages at once if we didn't have that in place.
    Huh, for some reason I thought I read that you hosted it on your own server.

Yep, every time. If I do the same search I have no problems, like if I hit "what's new" back to back. But if I hit what's new and then hit someone's trip reports link I get the message saying the forum doesn't allow searches sooner than 30 seconds apart.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post

I think it would be neat if there is an option on our profiles, where we can list what canyons (for canyoneers) and hikes we have done.
    So now that one big step is completed, I'm coming back through the thread.

If you wanted to show your Canyoneering Trip Reports separately from your Hiking Trip Reports, there is a way to filter this further to look only in a specific forum. Of course this would not change the link in your postbit (the part under your avatar) but you would be free to make it your signature.

As for what the exact variable is for adding to the search string, I'm not sure yet but I can find it soon. It will involve the forum id. Like the Canyoneering forum is 15, Hiking is 27, Running is 52, and so on. You can see this in the url of each forum.

I'll look into this further if there is interest for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Yep, every time. If I do the same search I have no problems, like if I hit "what's new" back to back. But if I hit what's new and then hit someone's trip reports link I get the message saying the forum doesn't allow searches sooner than 30 seconds apart.
    Anybody else having this problem?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    yes but only when I used the search code and replaced the XXXX with my id in the url. it happened every time and I'd get a message one search per 30 seconds you need to wait 3 sec before next search. After 3 sec, 30 sec, 3 minutes I'd get the exact same message.

But when I hyperlinked it in my signature instead of pasting in the url it would work ever time.

Blog Entries
    not at all. I followed nick's steps and don't get it. BTW, I am using Chrome 8.0 (latest version).
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Blog Entries
    So now that one big step is completed, I'm coming back through the thread.

If you wanted to show your Canyoneering Trip Reports separately from your Hiking Trip Reports, there is a way to filter this further to look only in a specific forum. Of course this would not change the link in your postbit (the part under your avatar) but you would be free to make it your signature.

As for what the exact variable is for adding to the search string, I'm not sure yet but I can find it soon. It will involve the forum id. Like the Canyoneering forum is 15, Hiking is 27, Running is 52, and so on. You can see this in the url of each forum.

I'll look into this further if there is interest for it.
    that would be great! A new signature with "Hiking TRs" and "Canyoneering TRs" in the signature would rock.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

not at all. I followed nick's steps and don't get it. BTW, I am using Chrome 8.0 (latest version).

Hmm... browser issue maybe? I use Firefox

Hmm... browser issue maybe? I use Firefox
    Problem persists in Chrome, Safari and Firefox on my Mac.

that would be great! A new signature with "Hiking TRs" and "Canyoneering TRs" in the signature would rock.
    OK, here's how to separate the different forums. Grab the link to your Trip Report search, jman's profile ID is 333,

Code:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&starteronly=1&contenttype=vBForum_Post&prefixchoice[]=Trip_Report&userid=333
    and at the end add:

&forumchoice[]=XX

where XX is the forum number. So for Canyoneering, you would add &forumchoice[]=15

So, to see all of my Trip Reports in the Ski/Snowboard forum only, I would have this link:

Code:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&starteronly=1&contenttype=vBForum_Post&prefixchoice[]=Trip_Report&userid=6&forumchoice[]=23
    At first this only provided 3 Trip Report results for me in the snow section. I know I've done more than that, so I started digging around and it just turned out that I hadn't put the "Trip Report" prefix on them. So this will be the likely solution if you're not getting all of the results you're expecting.

How can you update a thread you have started to add "Trip Report" to it. For example, I forgot to set that on this one just recently:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...adi-Rum-Jordan
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    How can you update a thread you have started to add "Trip Report" to it. For example, I forgot to set that on this one just recently:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...adi-Rum-Jordan
    When you edit the post, hit "Go Advanced" and you'll see more options, including adding a prefix in there.
    Also on the "reason for editing" box, an entry isn't required there.

Hmmm...I don't see that beech. Could it be that you see that 'cause of some admin status? Or am I blind? I could put "[Trip Report]" in the title but I don't think that will change the TR attribute to increase my oh-so-important total count of TRs
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    Hmmm...I don't see that beech. Could it be that you see that 'cause of some admin status? Or am I blind? I could put "[Trip Report]" in the title but I don't think that will change the TR attribute to increase my oh-so-important total count of TRs
    You know what, you might be right. For some reason it might be only moderators who can edit the prefix after it's been posted. I didn't realize that. I'll look for a way to change that. In the meantime, I've made that a Trip Report for you. And yes, you're correct, adding the text of "Trip Report" won't quite accomplish the purpose.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    So I found 14 of my reports that are old and not tagged. Do you want me to send ya the links or wait until we can fix them ourselves because we don't have that option as regular members.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    So I found 14 of my reports that are old and not tagged. Do you want me to send ya the links or wait until we can fix them ourselves because we don't have that option as regular members.
    Go ahead and post the links here if you like

OK, I think I just fixed it so users can edit their own prefixes. Chere, I fixed one of those skiing threads you posted, see if you can access the rest. Let me know if you can't.

Thanks.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Thanks! You guys do an fantastic job with this site.
    Chere'

Wow! You guys are awesome! You have made some real progress with the search strings. Sweet!