Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Idea - Hiking/Canyoneering Resume?

Yeah, we need to get @theking648 in here to take a look. Once we can create a link that will search trip reports per certain user, I'll be able to throw that link below the postcount, under the avatar of each user.

the search string we need to incorporate is prefixid=Trip_Report

For an example of how I got that, check out the url on the Trip Report index dropdown up in the navbar:
    Code:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?13-Backpacking-amp-Camping&prefixid=Trip_Report
    along with the search for threads started by jman:
    Code:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&userid=333&starteronly=1&contenttype=vBForum_Thread
    Sorry, it's just too late for me tonight and I'm watching 2 kids. I've asked a few questions out on the interwebz about this too, maybe I'll get some answers by tomorrow morning.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

this shouldn't be two hard to do, may have to write a new piece of code to pull from the data base but not hard.. my only problem is I don't know how the database is set up and which tables the certain data is stored, I'm not familiar with vbulliten's system but probably isn't much different than another site i manage that uses an SMF forum (http://www.wildsurvive.com/outdoor-c...orum/index.php)

it's defiantly possible, and I'm sure I could do it. but I would have to spend quite a bit of time looking at the files an see if there is a php function i can use or if i need to write one, in the case i needed to write one i would need to find out which table in the database they are stored in.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

maybe just modify the search.php form to except a new var, then do a simple if statement to check if the first part of the string contains [trip report] using substr() function.

then just return the results that have the prefix

so the url would have a new var like &startsWith=[trip report]

this will also work for anything then like &startsWith=hiking

however this won't work if the prefix isn't appended to the title, in that case it may be in a different table which will make it a lot easier

Quote Originally Posted by theking648 View Post
    this shouldn't be two hard to do, may have to write a new piece of code to pull from the data base but not hard..
    however this won't work if the prefix isn't appended to the title, in that case it may be in a different table which will make it a lot easier
    This is what I was wondering. I, too, am not familiar with vBulletin, but if you take a look at the schema (ya got a PHPmyAdmin on that thing?) and it should be easy to spot how the threads are prefixed.

Another idea is to have, on the profile page itself, a list (with links) of the top 10 or 20 trip reports by that user, based & sorted on either most replies, or most views, so someone can get a snapshot of the groovy things folks do...

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    This is what I was wondering. I, too, am not familiar with vBulletin, but if you take a look at the schema (ya got a PHPmyAdmin on that thing?) and it should be easy to spot how the threads are prefixed.

Another idea is to have, on the profile page itself, a list (with links) of the top 10 or 20 trip reports by that user, based & sorted on either most replies, or most views, so someone can get a snapshot of the groovy things folks do...
    ya I like that idea.

It's definitely going to be a search string. We're getting close though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    It's definitely going to be a search string. We're getting close though.
    This is great, good job fellas.

Question - I assume it will automatically put the TRs in some arbitrary order under that link...if that's the case, would it be possible to organize it by year?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    This is great, good job fellas.

Question - I assume it will automatically put the TRs in some arbitrary order under that link...if that's the case, would it be possible to organize it by year?
    The search string can sort it any way we want, by last post, start date, etc

OK, we're getting somewhere. Here is the search string that will bring all of jman's Trip Reports:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&userid=333&starteronly=1&co ntenttype=vBForum_Post&prefixchoice[]=Trip_Report

and the same code, unlinked:

Code:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&userid=333&starteronly=1&contenttype=vBForum_Post&prefixchoice[]=Trip_Report
    Now I'll work on setting the generic user to whichever profile it's on.

Currently, just replace the 333 which is jman's profile number with 6, to get mine.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&userid=6&starteronly=1&cont enttype=vBForum_Post&prefixchoice[]=Trip_Report

Or, any user's profile number, like CarpeyBiggs' which is 1887

http://www.bogley.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&userid=1887&starteronly=1&c ontenttype=vBForum_Post&prefixchoice[]=Trip_Report

Plus, if we want a number next to the "My Trip Reports" link on their profile, I'll have to make some sort of a cron job that counts maybe once per day.

nice job, did you have to write that in or was prefixchoice already available?

Quote Originally Posted by theking648 View Post
    nice job, did you have to write that in or was prefixchoice already available?
    No, all of this stuff is already available, it's just learning the different variables that you can plug into the search string. I had some help over at vbulletin. So instead of &prefixid=Trip_Report as it shows in the Trip Report dropdown menu, it was
    &prefixchoice[]=Trip_Report and also changing the vbforum_thread to vbforum_post

nice work beech! very cool, thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    nice work beech! very cool, thanks a lot.

Almost there. My hope is to replace the "Threads" in the profile to "Trip Reports", and definitely make it clickable.

well i wouldn't replace it.. just add "trip reports" below "theads"

Blog Entries
    Looking at that link sombeech just created - makes me want to post more TRs. Only 9 in the past 4or5 years?? That's pathetic on my part.

Anyways, this is exciting seeing this progress.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Bogley BigShot
    I know I have posted a bunch, but tried to find them to "like" on FB so I could keep track of them and found very few. This will be an awesome addition!

Thanks Computer Smart People!

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    makes me want to post more TRs. Only 9 in the past 4or5 years?? That's pathetic on my part.
    Get on it, man.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    I know I have posted a bunch, but tried to find them to "like" on FB so I could keep track of them and found very few. This will be an awesome addition!
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&userid=146&starteronly=1&co ntenttype=vBForum_Post&prefixchoice[]=Trip_Report

Bogley BigShot
    And I thought you were all just good looks.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more note, to be honest I don't know how long it will take me to get this on everybody's profile. Time just isn't on my side lately. But if you'd like to put a link to your Trip Reports in your signature, maybe that's a start.

Here's what you can do.

1. Find your profile number by viewing your profile page, and it will be in the url.
    2. Edit your signature by clicking this link: http://www.bogley.com/forum/profile....=editsignature
    3. Type something like "Check out my Trip Reports"
    4. Color it, size it however you like
    5. Highlight that text, and click the hyperlink button, looks like this
    6. In the popup, paste this code there, and replace the XXXX (located after userid=) with your profile number:

Code:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&userid=XXXX&starteronly=1&contenttype=vBForum_Post&prefixchoice[]=Trip_Report

and here's what it looks like:

Check out my Trip Reports!