Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Idea - Hiking/Canyoneering Resume?

Can we make the link take window instead of open a new? It also seems that the font type and color is slightly different.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yeah, probably because it's a link where the others are not. Let me see if I can color it the same. On the other hand, would it stick out like we want it to if it were the same color? Or maybe underline it or something?

Or I can just throw on some blinking rainbow text.

Yeah true. A diff color might be good. I guess its black like the other links. Perhaps try making it bold and keeping it black?

You got me beat in TR's. I only have 93 and you have 183.

For me it's about quantity, not quality

14ers.com has a user peak checklist that could be very similar to a canyon checklist.
    Here is an example:
    http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/usrpea...?usernum=12817

It is easy for the user to update and does not require a full-blown trip report, just checking off a box. The Site Admin may be willing to offer advice on the coding?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    14ers.com has a user peak checklist that could be very similar to a canyon checklist.
    Here is an example:
    http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/usrpea...?usernum=12817

It is easy for the user to update and does not require a full-blown trip report, just checking off a box. The Site Admin may be willing to offer advice on the coding?
    I like it. I think any enhancement to the user profiles would be great. Example: I love checking out people's profiles on summitpost and seeing what canyons, hikes, they have published. Scott P is a great example of this on SP.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'm sure we could work something out. What kind of database size are we talking about? Canyons, hiking trails, I'm sure the bikers would like that option too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I'm sure we could work something out. What kind of database size are we talking about? Canyons, hiking trails, I'm sure the bikers would like that option too.
    What do you mean by size? There's a large database of canyons, hikes, peaks, mtn bike trails, etc. but it all depends on the purpose of it. If you have lets say a template similar to 14ers.com, and you click on the peak name it shows a pic and some of those links have links to the beta. What if that list, say for example, doing the Subway in Zion, and when the user hovers over the the link, it shows a picture of the Subway as a thumbnail, and if you click on the link it searches Bogley.com for all prefixes of TRs, with the keyword phrase - Subway. (I hope that makes sense, I probably didn't explain it too well).
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I mean for the initial list of trails and canyons, maybe even caves. Just building that first list of names, I'm sure there are hundreds.

Blog Entries
    I mean for the initial list of trails and canyons, maybe even caves. Just building that first list of names, I'm sure there are hundreds.
    Oh yes...hundreds upon hundreds of names. I can provide a giant list of canyons, and hikes in Utah. Of course this bogley, so the list would have to include other states, etc. which could get quite lengthy...
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I wonder if the list for known canyons could/would be provided by the online beta providers (i.e. Climb-Utah, etc) ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    I wonder if the list for known canyons could/would be provided by the online beta providers (i.e. Climb-Utah, etc) ?
    Candition.com has a list bigger than climb-Utah and most other beta sites. However, Candition is just a index and not a beta site.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

If following the example of 14ers.com, you could just start out without beta and initially just offer a checklist. If I recall correctly, the initial idea of a "canyon resume" was floated in the forum. Anyone looking for partners would be able to see another user's checklist and wold presumably know something about the canyons on said checklist and then would theoretically be able to assess the ballpark ability of a potential partner at a glance.

The beta would be a bit harder to get, I supose, but this could at least be a starting point. The checklist on 14ers also serves as a way for people to keep track of their own accomplishements, not just a list for others to look at. All this could be expanded in the future to maybe include beta if it is well used.

These are just suggestions, I know nothing of the actual implimentation..

It is cool for sure. Perhaps starting it out in canyoneering would make sense and expand from there. Maybe you could choose if it was going to appear in your profile or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    It is cool for sure. Perhaps starting it out in canyoneering would make sense and expand from there. Maybe you could choose if it was going to appear in your profile or not.
    So to implement something like 14ers.com, would a new theme need to be installed? Or could it be implemented on the existing php?
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    So to implement something like 14ers.com, would a new theme need to be installed? Or could it be implemented on the existing php?
    I think it could be incorporated into the existing skin.

OK, here's how to separate the different forums. Grab the link to your Trip Report search, jman's profile ID is 333,

Code:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&starteronly=1&contenttype=vBForum_Post&prefixchoice[]=Trip_Report&userid=333
    and at the end add:

&forumchoice[]=XX

where XX is the forum number. So for Canyoneering, you would add &forumchoice[]=15

So, to see all of my Trip Reports in the Ski/Snowboard forum only, I would have this link:

Code:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&starteronly=1&contenttype=vBForum_Post&prefixchoice[]=Trip_Report&userid=6&forumchoice[]=23
    At first this only provided 3 Trip Report results for me in the snow section. I know I've done more than that, so I started digging around and it just turned out that I hadn't put the "Trip Report" prefix on them. So this will be the likely solution if you're not getting all of the results you're expecting.
    Just bumping this up. I'm currently working on getting this link back under everybody's avatar and post count, but I keep getting interrupted at work, life, kids, play....

But in the meantime for those of you who would like to see all of your Trip Reports, or anybody else's for that matter, just COPY this link, PASTE it, and before you hit enter, EDIT the user profile number at the very end. 333 is @jman and you can see your user profile number by looking in the url in your profile. Mine is 6, @Iceaxe is 36, @Slot Machine is 20293... So here's the text you can paste into the url bar, and then erase the 333 at the end and replace with the desired user number:

Code:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&starteronly=1&contenttype=vBForum_Post&prefixchoice[]=Trip_Report&userid=333
    Please note that when you hit enter, the url will then change to something like this: http://www.bogley.com/forum/search.php?searchid=631398

This is NOT a reusable link, so it will do you no good to just use that link as your Trip Report search. It must be that big long ugly thing. Please note that if you just copy and paste that into a thread or signature, it will break up too.

So for those who want to put a link in their signature, type the word "My Trip Reports" or whatever, then highlight the text, and add a hyperlink to that text. Otherwise it won't work.

Thanks and hopefully we'll have this up again soon.

..btw I just want to brag about having the most Trip Reports