Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Idea - Hiking/Canyoneering Resume?

Blog Entries

Idea - Hiking/Canyoneering Resume?

@Sombeech , @accadacca , And everyone else:

I think it would be neat if there is an option on our profiles, where we can list what canyons (for canyoneers) and hikes we have done.

People call it a Hiking or Canyoneering Resume. If people so desired, while adding to the social scene here, I think it would be fun and enlightening of what areas people have explored.

So if people want to know (or care for) which hikes/canyons I have done (and if I entered them of course), there will be a option under my avatar that says "outdoor resume" or something along that name which is easily accessible. And of course if they click on that it will redirect the to my profile - resume page. Or it could be a seperate window (or a hovering window) that pops up, so they don't have to leave their current position. Ehh...something like that.

Plus, that gives people another venue to ask me about a certain hike I've done and message me, and hopefully I will be able to give them a TR page and advice.

Make sense??

As a novelty, I think it would be a fun idea. Practicality; probably not much would come from that, but it would definitely would make coming and staying here more attractive.

What do you guys think?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    I think the resume should say ... age, marital status, have a current photo and location.

sort of a my list is longer than yours kinda thing? list being a euphemism.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I think it would be neat if there is an option on our profiles
    how about you post a profile photo to start

Bogley BigShot
    I saw it. You would all be jealous.

I like it. I wonder how we could pull it off and how many people would use it? Any thoughts Beech or anyone else.

jman, If your interested in helping search for possible plugins this could expedite the process.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    On the triathlete forum I joined they have a pretty cool way of posting your race and the info and having it connected to your profile and in the forum. Check this site www.beginnertriathlete.com it might give you some ideas of how. I only say that because I think if you start this resume type thing it would be more interesting if when you post a report, it connects to your profile as part of your resume if that makes any sense.

I think this one links to my profile on the site

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/di...r=&month=&day=

I only have the one race. But if you look on the right hand side under Planned Races > Race Listing > then under XTERRA Sport it will take you to the forum post.

I would like some way of having all my trip reports here that I have posted grouped together. So if I want to go back and look at what I wrote it is easier than going through ALL of my posts.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    On the triathlete forum I joined they have a pretty cool way of posting your race and the info and having it connected to your profile and in the forum. Check this site www.beginnertriathlete.com it might give you some ideas of how. I only say that because I think if you start this resume type thing it would be more interesting if when you post a report, it connects to your profile as part of your resume if that makes any sense.

I think this one links to my profile on the site

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/di...r=&month=&day=

I only have the one race. But if you look on the right hand side under Planned Races > Race Listing > then under XTERRA Sport it will take you to the forum post.

I would like some way of having all my trip reports here that I have posted grouped together. So if I want to go back and look at what I wrote it is easier than going through ALL of my posts.
    I totally agree with this. Putting a person's TR's all in one spot is an excellent idea. I could care less if you've hiked every mountain in Utah if you don't have any pics to prove it.

I agree that TRs is a better item and would also encourage folks to produce them.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

agreed... would be awesome for TRs.

Blog Entries
    Yes...I like the way you guys are thinking. Thanks chere for the idea. Having a way to link the TRs under a single menu or instance would be a better option (which is the point of this "resume" idea).
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

A forum up here, on the clubtread.com website (http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/default.asp) has a separate section for Trip Reports. In everyone's profile, you can see a list/link to every thread they've started in the Trip Report section, thus giving a list of all their TRs. Works pretty well.

With the Trip Report prefix, it shouldn't be too difficult to code, I would think. We already have a list in the profile of all threads started - just do the same for all "Trip Report" threads started...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    A forum up here, on the clubtread.com website (http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/default.asp) has a separate section for Trip Reports. In everyone's profile, you can see a list/link to every thread they've started in the Trip Report section, thus giving a list of all their TRs. Works pretty well.

With the Trip Report prefix, it shouldn't be too difficult to code, I would think. We already have a list in the profile of all threads started - just do the same for all "Trip Report" threads started...
    On a sidenote: I do like how this forum can set a thread pic. Gives you a sample before you read the article.............is this possible at all?
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Blog Entries
    So when we click on our names, The dialouge box pops up and has "View Profile, Private Message, View Forum Posts, Send Email." I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to add "View Trip Reports" or "Hiking Resume"...right? The hard part is just adding the connecting link to our profile, where we can import our TRs.

Then I suppose the next hardest part is parsing the TRs associated with our names, and auto-tagging them to our profiles and creating the links there. But of course, having the ability to edit the names to our liking...

I would look ACDC but have vbulletin isn't my speciality at all....I don't even know what to call this "feature"...
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Better even than the links you list in the popup - if you go to the profile (click "View Profile") you can find the link for "View Started Threads". This is the key - the SQL that finds the threads started by the user just has to add one more clause: " WHERE [prefix_field] = [TripReport_prefix]" - boom - you have your list of all Trip Reports that member has started... Doesn't need to be saved as a search, of course, the way that vBulletin does with all searches - can just be a dynamic list.

I like where this is going. Now we just need a few more programmers. Hey somebody also mentioned (in another post) about having a stat under your "posts" and "threads" that says "Trip Reports" Keeping track of that stat too would encourage more TR's. Instead of just "posts" and you get all the crap I post.

I like the ideas here and as Kev mentioned, it doesn't seem too difficult. I have a few buddies that specialize in PHP and MySQL. I'll have to arrange a lunch with one of them and do some fast talking. We did have a couple BigShots join recently. I may just use that coin if needed. Usually its just a favor type thing or Beech and I figure it out.

Just posting here to say I've been reading this thread.

Blog Entries
    Would this be something up @theking648 alley? Recruit his skills?
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    Better even than the links you list in the popup - if you go to the profile (click "View Profile") you can find the link for "View Started Threads". This is the key - the SQL that finds the threads started by the user just has to add one more clause: " WHERE [prefix_field] = [TripReport_prefix]" - boom - you have your list of all Trip Reports that member has started... Doesn't need to be saved as a search, of course, the way that vBulletin does with all searches - can just be a dynamic list.
    OK, finally getting some time to browse through this thread. I'm watching the kids as my wife recovers from shoulder surgery, so I'll get back to this after 9 pm tonight and might get some time to work on it.

Kevin's got the right idea, I could put a link in each user's profile right on the side, under their avatar. I tried to do this with the "Threads" thing but fell short.

The link would be similar to what Kevin posted,
    Code:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&userid=333&starteronly=1&contenttype=vBForum_Thread
    but with &prefixid=Trip_Report added in there, and probably the &contenttype=vBForum_Thread changed. Plus substitute the userid=333 with the general $userid code so it would adapt to whomever profile it was posted in.

But I can't quite get it right now.

Trying to break apart that code, and I've gotta log off for a couple of hours again, but I'll be back later tonight. In the meantime if anybody can experiment with what to take out of that code, so they can see jman's "Trip Reports" only, that's the ticket. Then I can throw that link in the "user postbit" as it's called.

Good luck, I'll be on later tonight.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    that was pretty much gibberish to me..... can't wait until you have it figured out
    Chere'