Thread: Got a free-standing solo tent you like?

Got a free-standing solo tent you like?

I'm in the market for a new backpacking tent. I need to pick up a solo (1 man) tent to add to my current assortment. I prefer free-standing with a vestibule. What do you folks use that you like (that doesn't break the bank).

The biggest issue I have is that I am right at 6' and have size 13 feet so my feet hit the walls of some solo of tents due to the shallow angle the of the walls (can result in wet feet in the mornings).

Let me know what you are using these days--thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Really depends on what you define as breaking the bank and how big you are. If you're over 6 ft some solo tents are going to be way too small for you.

I have a big sky evolution 1P that i have used for years and love. MSR has a solo Hubba that my friend has and uses all the time. Big Agnes has some freestanding tents that fit this criteria, but the solos are pretty small and I'd buy the 2 person even if it is for solo use. REI has got one, I forget the name, although again you'd want the 2P to use it as well. Black Diamond claims the firstlight and lighthouse are 2 person but you'd have to be REAL close with the person to fit 2 people in them (or she'd have to be good looking w/ big boobs). I've used the firstlight as a solo shelter and it works great.

There are some nice non-freestanding solo tents out there. Gossamer Gear, Henry Shires, Six Moon Designs and lightheart gear all make wonderful solo tents that are worth looking into.

I am 6'4" with size 13s as well.. I have moved to a tarp or I use my 2 person Mountain hardware Room with a view that I have been using since 96 :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Well I don't have a vestibule, but I use a Eureka Backcountry. Next time I go out I think I'm going to try a small nylon tarp with my tent poles to make a vestibule. It's 8 feet long and is fairly steep on the walls, might be what you're looking for. Good luck in your search.

check out the 2 person superlight fly creek offerings from big agnes. super nice and the two person is only slightly heavier than the 1 person, with lots more room to spare. i own a seedhouse sl1 and like it quite a bit. too heavy to get much use anymore though.

if you want to go lightweight, i'd go with a tarp or single wall setup and learn to use it properly. freestanding tents are the heaviest on the market. my current solo shelter weighs 12 ounces total, including the netting and stakes. however, it requires a trekking pole and proper stake outs.

I use a Tarptent Rainbow. Can be freestanding or staked down. Plenty room for gear and me or two people. Weighs in a 2lb 2oz.

+1 for the tarptents. henry runs a quality shop.

I love my Bibler I tent, got it on ebay pretty cheap. It is larger than a 1 person (they claim it is a 2 person, but that would be pretty tight), single wall, breaths great with those 2 big doors, a little over 4 lbs. It's a bomber tent, I have used it for 5 years with no complaints. My $.02!