Thread: Backpacking Trip

Backpacking Trip

I'm looking for a good over-night backpack trip to go on with my wife in mid March. I'm thinking in the St. George area, so that it will be warm. We are looking for something that is moderate to easy. We both really enjoy slot canyons, hoo doos, water falls, and most other parts of the S. Utah scenery. We do not have climbing gear, but scrambles are fine. We also enjoy geocaching, if that has anything to do with it. We live in N. Utah (almost Idaho).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    coalpits wash would be a possibility

snake gulch south of kanab? or maybe something like the tuckup trail around toroweap in GCNP.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

We both really enjoy slot canyons, hoo doos, water falls, and most other parts of the S. Utah scenery.
    Fourmile/Ticaboo canyons have that. Next to St. George, it's the warmest area of Utah.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Some of the new wilderness areas in Southern Utah aka Red Butte Wilderness Area (W.A.) (may still be cold up there in march though depending on the weather), Cottonwood Canyon W. A. , Beaver DAMN Mountains W. A., Red Mountain W.A.

More Info

Thanks for the info. The Ticaboo hike that I found info on sounds great, but it's no by st. george, it's closer to bullfrog. Is this the same hike you were refering to? The wilderness areas sound like the right area, but I can't find any information on a specific over-night trail. Do you have any info on that? Will the snake gulch south of kanab trip be warm that time of year? I can't really find much info on it.

Thanks again, any more suggestions would be great!

That is the beauty of these new wilderness areas (some old) there is little if any information about them online.
    #1- The BLM office in St. George has maps and workers that sometimes are good sources of information
    #2- Bogley (this recent thread mentions the Red Mountain W. A and Cottonwood Canyon W. A.)
    #3- The fellows (Bo Beck) at the Desert Rat in St. George
    #4- Wilderness.net typically has some basic information about every wilderness area.
    #5- I have read through a couple hiking guides that mention the wilderness areas in S. Utah. One book is Wild Utah by Bill Cunningham and another I havent personally read is Utah Wilderness Areas: The Complete Guide by Lynna Howard you can find both of these on amazon (hey cant bogley make some money if johnrob buys a book from amazon?)

Coalpits Wash in Zion, as was mentioned, would be a great backpack trip in March also. I plan on trying coalpits myself this early spring, hopefully!