Thread: Destroying a Carabiner!

Destroying a Carabiner!

Went to the London Outdoor Show 2011 yesterday. It was mahoosive and I was very much like a kid in a candy store. Picked up loads of ridiculously cheap gear from DMM, who were also teaching classes on various things (I took one on gear placement), and testing reject carabiners to destruction. This made such an excellent spectator sport that I was almost tempted to give them my Black Diamond Rocklock Screwgate that I use for belaying and abseiling, and which has a bit of a groove worn in it, to see what would happen, but in the end decided it would have been unfair to an old friend.

But I did take a video of them destroying one of their own bentgates. Enjoy!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    24.4 Kilonewtons??

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    24.4 Kilonewtons??
    Yup. Everything he was destroying was a manufacturing reject, and they pretty much all broke within a kilonewton of their rated spec. The guy did suggest the ones that hadn't failed quality control would probably go a bit higher, but he didn't test any while I was there.

Thanks for posting.

Neat!

How are the DMM cams looking?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Neat!

How are the DMM cams looking?
    Been too cold to climb with them so far (I'm not going to Stanage in January, not even if paid), but they are very nice looking pieces of equipment with a nice action. I understand they (Dragon Cams) are the subject of holy wars in conjunction with Camalots, but I do not profess to be any kind of true believer.